Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
The AC adapter is D-AC50 it plugs into the wall. So you don't waste battery power while d/ling your pictures.
PENTAX AC Adapter Kit D-AC50 - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
The link you provide says:

Compatible With

K10D, K20D

In the K5 manual this one is also spec'd. For the K-r apparently you have to buy some sort of adapter cable, D-DC109 to use this unit. The entire kit is K-AC109. Neither of those show on Pentax's (USA) website (which completely sucks).

Last edited by JeffJS; 11-13-2010 at 05:46 PM.
11-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The AC Adapter works on K10 , K20, K-7 & K-5 I'm not sure about the K-X or any of the other Pentax DSLR's.
I know the wife is upset that it dosen't work on her K-R
11-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
The AC Adapter works on K10 , K20, K-7 & K-5 I'm not sure about the K-X or any of the other Pentax DSLR's.
I know the wife is upset that it dosen't work on her K-R
Apparently the D-DC109 is the key to it. Probably like the AA adapter however, no one knows where to buy one. The K-x uses a different set all together apparently (according to the manual). The K-AC84 kit which is based on the K-AC76 power supply (same one they say for K200), but also requires the D-DC84 adapter. These D-DC accessories I get the impression are actually Battery compartment inserts with cables on them.

So the impression I'm drawing from this is that the Pentax Power adapter accessory line up is a complete and total CF (think FUBAR).

11-15-2010, 12:47 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I just got my k-r and asked the salesman about the AA adapter, three guys who work there informed me that the k-r doesn't need an adapter and only the k-5 does, that's why the k-r is so awesome. I told them I was 99.9% sure that it needed the adapter and they sent me on my way thinking I had imagined this particular thread. Oh well, they were wrong. Anyway, luckily I have family in Japan where I'll get them to send me one instead of paying $70.

11-15-2010, 05:41 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
I just got my k-r and asked the salesman about the AA adapter, three guys who work there informed me that the k-r doesn't need an adapter and only the k-5 does, Anyway, luckily I have family in Japan where I'll get them to send me one instead of paying $70.
I hate ignorant and wiseacre salesmen, they always get what they deserve from me.

BTW I've just ordered my K-r to my nephew coupla hours ago, he is in the airplane now on his way to Japan, wondering how much is the adapter in Japan you expect to pay? Or should we wait 3-4 months to get a knock-off one from ebay for coupla bucks?

Last edited by cbaytan; 11-15-2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: add info
11-15-2010, 05:45 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
wondering how much is the adapter in Japan you expect to pay? Or should we wait 3-4 months to get a knock-off one from ebay for coupla bucks?
They're going for 3,500 Yen which is pretty good.
11-15-2010, 05:47 AM   #37
Inactive Account

I just got my k-r and asked the salesman about the AA adapter, three guys who work there informed me that the k-r doesn't need an adapter and only the k-5 does, that's why the k-r is so awesome. I told them I was 99.9% sure that it needed the adapter and they sent me on my way thinking I had imagined this particular thread. Oh well, they were wrong. Anyway, luckily I have family in Japan where I'll get them to send me one instead of paying $70.
So the manual is incorrect and you can just stuff AAs in there and it'll work? You could probably make some money having your family send you some and then offering them on ebay. People will often pay a premium for those hard to get accessories (and of course, some won't).

They are correct about one thing, the K5 does need an adapter to use AAs but you have to buy and use the grip to get it.

11-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
They're going for 3,500 Yen which is pretty good.
42 USD for 15c plastic, I'll wait for the knock-offs, Pentax deserve that.
11-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
42 USD for 15c plastic, I'll wait for the knock-offs, Pentax deserve that.
Well the majority of crap we buy is made very cheaply in Asia and sold for ridiculous amounts in our countries, this is no different but I'm sure the knockoffs will be out soon.
01-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
Maybe the forth one is inserted from the other side?
Yes, it seems so.
Pentax D-BH109 AA battery holder for K-r - Pentax Accessory Review Database - Flashes, Grips, Camera Bags
01-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gotta laugh.... how much could it have cost to design and manufacture this adapter... and pentax wouldn't consider making this a standard accessory???
still shakin' my head over this one.... pentax/hoya.... are ya listenin'???? didn't think so...
but still love my k-x and stable of lenses ....................
01-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #42

Do Camera Makers not realise - high-end P&S, or entry-level DSLR - that such buyers are seldom Professional Photographers or even Advanced Hobbyists? That they're often casual, hobby, and family users? Who tend to have other cameras and devices that use AAs.

I have 3 cameras, a now carry-bag old Fuji S2000HD, a Canon SX10, and a Fuji HS10. All use AAs, and my place and camera-gear pack is well-supplied with sets of 4 Eneloops and chargers-plural.

Canon just blotted its copybook with its new SX30 IS - by putting an "Unobtanium" power-pack in it... The "advantage" - the power-pack does 370-400 shots - my SX10 does 550-600 on Eneloops, and a friend's SX20 does 500-550 on Eneloops. That's "progress"...?

The same friend was going to trade her SX20 for the new model when it came out - she thought - but not with "No RAW, no Fast Continuous, and no Eneloops!" Yes - it does make a difference.

And since when does a well over $500.00 Bridge Camera kid itself that 1.3fps is "Fast Continuous"...? My Fuji HS10 has 13-7-5-3fps at full resolution JPEG, 5fps and 3fps RAW and RAW+JPEG. And runs on 4 x AAs - as does the new HS20, due out in March.

The types of users buying midrange P&S and Bridge Camera, and entry-level DSLRs are much better off with AAs. Not just because 4 x Eneloops are cheaper than a spare power-pack and will often outlast it, too - but if we "carelessly" didn't have a few spare charged packs along on a long day out, or a few days trip - once the pack in the camera - and maybe a spare, runs out - dead camera! With AAs, we can buy "keep-you-going" AA Alkalines almost anywhere.

And - strange about that Canon SX30 - it uses the same size-shape body as the SX10 / SX20 - why didn't they do as Pentax has done - and at least made Unobtainium-pack or AAs optional..?

If they had - there might be the same keen excitement on another Forum as with the releases of the SX10 and SX20... Instead of a couple of main threads at present untouched for a week and a half, and several days, respectively.

If Camera Makers don't offer folk what they really want - they won't be able to whinge on the day the Chinese do exactly that - for 20-30% of the price.... Now - a semi-clone "Kanon" XX30 = for $150.00 - I'd buy - just for the excellent Video....

Dave.
01-11-2011, 04:17 AM   #43
Forum Member

What if we bombard Pentax with emails
maybe they will bring the price down to a
reasonable cost say $10 as it aint worth more than that
01-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by costas60 Quote
What if we bombard Pentax with emails
maybe they will bring the price down to a
reasonable cost say $10 as it aint worth more than that
.....correspondence with lower level customer service would be of no value ... true with the vast majority of businesses........ if there were contact with someone at pentax/hoya who could actually make a difference, that'd be the way to go imho...
but don't know who that would be.... i think this retail faux pas by pentax will only be resolved when 3rd party manufacturers produce 'knock offs'..... i'm sure our friends in the far east are working on it now
dave m

p.s. * perhaps John Carlson, Pentax USA, sales and marketing might be a contact to address this issue....*

Last edited by dcmsox2004; 01-11-2011 at 05:52 AM. Reason: info
01-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #45
Forum Member

The adapter is a four-battery unit. Three across the bottom and the one shown on top in the picture.