Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Where to Get Battery Adapter for K-r?

If I buy a Pentax K-r, I definitely would also want to be able to change from the provided battery to AA batteries if needed. However, you need to purchase separately the AA battery holder D-BH 109 to hold four AA batteries. So in looking at the Pentax store as well as other sources (BH Photo, Adorama, and Amazon primarily) I cannot find it for sale anywhere. That makes me wonder if I'd just be better off to get the K-x where AA batteries can fit without any optional accessory?! The cheaper route would be the K-x but there are a few upgrades on the K-r that lure me. However, this could be a problem if it isn't available anywhere for months.

11-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it's available yet, so you can't get it if it's not included with the body

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That is just about the deal breaker for me...plus the relative low cost of the K-x. I personally don't think I'd miss the few improvements on the K-r for the extra cost right now. And I do have another camera (not a Pentax though and no live view which I like). So I think I'll go ahead and get the K-x...now do I want a kit with two lens or just one lens...decisions, decisions!
11-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I was also contemplating "upgrading" my K-x to the K-r. But in the end I decided to stay with the K-x, the improvements of the K-r (I'm only looking at the ones that I wished the K-x had done a better job: AF point in VF, better LV focus) didn't justify the extra cost for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by InStitches49 Quote
That is just about the deal breaker for me...plus the relative low cost of the K-x. I personally don't think I'd miss the few improvements on the K-r for the extra cost right now. And I do have another camera (not a Pentax though and no live view which I like). So I think I'll go ahead and get the K-x...now do I want a kit with two lens or just one lens...decisions, decisions!

11-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought my K-x just at the point the K-r was coming out and thought about both long and hard.

In the end I decided on the K-x for a variety of reasons but the AA battery issue was clearly one of them for me. The price differential was also so big that it made the K-r an unlikely buy given the minimal differences.

Sorry to hear the adapter for the K-r is not out yet. I'm a BIG fan of being able to buy batteries ANYWHERE and AAs are it. I got 1750 shots on my Li Ultimates and 700 or so on the NiMH. They are just so easy and can last I just do not understand the fascination of many for proprietary battery systems.
11-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #6

AU$69 - not quite good.

Going out of Melbourne on weekend and now we have the first problem.
Normally with K100D and K-x I took 2 sets of Eneloops (plus 1 set of cheap
non-rechargeables always in a bag as a backup).

Now with the K-r I reckon it will be out of power in half a day.
I have DC → AC adapter in a car, but who wants to wait another half a day
to be able to make one more shot?

What I'm trying to say is: Pentax didn't include AA adapter in a box.
This 5 dollar piece of plastic could compensate disadvantage of the K-r's
new power scheme, but it's sold separately which makes it even worse.

Why the power solution is bad?

1. Previously you just needed a few Ni-Mh AAs with the $11 to $25 per set
and a charger. Starts from maybe $20 to be able to start shooting immediately.
Now you need to buy The Pentax Great (Chinese) Adapter for $69, plus
batteries, plus charger.

2. D-LI109 utilizes only about 50% of the battery compartment.
And it' capacity is amazing! Only half of ONE standard AA battery!
Yes, the D-LI109 has 1050mAh, Eneloop has 2000mAh. Great.

UPD: I was wrong with some figures as one of the pentaxforums user noticed.
Yes, it's 1050 mAh, but it's 7.4V, not 1.2V like AA. So we better go with Wh,
which is 7.8Wh for D-LI109 and 1.2Wh to 2.5Wh on average AA battery.
That means with the best 4 x AAs, Pentax Li-Ion is just 20-25% weaker.
Sorry for my idiotism. :)

3. Now you need to find place in your bag for the charger and a cable.
It's bulky. Why can't they do a small socket/jack on a battery body
and use a charger size of... Nokia charger? Still in XX's century, thought...

Now back to 69 bucks. It's a rip off! And this rip off only available in Au.
Cos in GB you can buy it for $48. After-market ones will come...
eventually and would be probably priced more realistically, I hope it would
be less than $10 delivered.
And then Pentax Australia could discontinue their stock, save on storage :)

$69 is not a big deal for some people. For smokers. But it really is a big deal
for those who already paid $800-900 for the camera.

I'm not that grumpy as I look right now. :)
And just want to point Pentax, that out of the box K-r is undersupplied
with power and fixing it costs some real bucks.

And so far this is the only problem with K-r which bothers me.
Shutter sound feels a bit softer (I know it's not true but I feel it :) but
what's more important I have my confidence with the focus back.
I lost it with a K-x somehow.

And continuous shooting! Oh my... Fantastic!

Last edited by au22ru; 11-09-2010 at 10:09 PM.
11-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by au22ru Quote
Yes, the D-LI109 has 1050mAh, Eneloop has 2000mAh. Great.
The D-LI109 is 1050mAh at probably 7.2V (typical camera Li-Ion) while Eneloop 2000mAh is at 1.2V -- 1/6th as useful.

By the way, is the AA-adapter just a physical adapter to hold & chain 4 AA pieces together, or does it involve some electronic circuitry as well? Thanks.

11-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
The D-LI109 is 1050mAh at probably 7.2V (typical camera Li-Ion) while Eneloop 2000mAh is at 1.2V -- 1/6th as useful.
Good point and I should pick it myself :)

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
By the way, is the AA-adapter just a physical adapter to hold & chain 4 AA pieces together, or does it involve some electronic circuitry as well? Thanks.
Don't know. With 7.4V for Li-Ion and ~4.8V for AAs?.. Maybe not.
11-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by au22ru Quote

Now with the K-r I reckon it will be out of power in half a day.

Now back to 69 bucks. It's a rip off! And this rip off only available in Au.

And just want to point Pentax, that out of the box K-r is undersupplied
with power and fixing it costs some real bucks.
Good detailed post au22ru! It's about time these hidden issues were aired in public. Review sites never "review".

Did you dare enquire about the cost and availability of a spare D-LI109? I'm sure Pentax would gouge for a genuine of that too.

eBay dupes availability will depend on time, as well as sales popularity of the K-r too. Then people have to run the bloody treadmill of trying and find one from a safe source, plus the usual long drawn out shipping times from HK/CN can make watching a snail race seem like a speed event.

Might be another reason why many buyers seem to be seeing it as a poor $$ value upgrade and still seeking out the cheap'n'nasty old K-x instead? Pentax will probably have to dry up supplies and allow K-r prices to plunge, surely.

Maybe some clever CN company will come up with a snap-on K-r power-pack/grip for you.

.R.
11-10-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I hate to say this but Pentax responded to its consumers. How many threads are there here from 2009 that berate Pentax for using AAs in the K-x? When I was researching 2-3 moths ago I found dozens of such from loyal Pentaxians. I kept reading and reading trying to figure out why they were asking for, complaining about, and all but demanding a proprietary battery in the grip of the K-x or its replacement. Never saw a cogent, fact-based, argument. Just, basically, that it was different and not what other "real dSLRs" do.

Well, now those who complained in 2009 and through to the release of the K-r have their wish - an updated K-x that has a proprietary battery with all the drawbacks (extra space for single purpose charger, extra cost over AA alternatives, lack of availability of extra battery, lack of AA housing, etc.) and no meaningful advantages I can find.
11-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by InStitches49 Quote
I would go for the 2 kit lenses.
11-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
The adapter's about $40 in japan PENTAX??3?????? D-BH109???????????????????????(??,??,??,??,??) (at least I think this is the adapter!)
11-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hambino Quote
The adapter's about $40 in japan PENTAX??3?????? D-BH109???????????????????????(??,??,??,??,??) (at least I think this is the adapter!)

So the adapter only holds 3 AAs? Is that right?
11-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
So the adapter only holds 3 AAs? Is that right?
Maybe the forth one is inserted from the other side?
11-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Shoot, this is definitely a no-brainer for me! I'm going with a K-x and two lens and get a good recharger (Eneloop is what I've heard the most positive info about).