Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
How many threads are there here from 2009 that berate Pentax for using AAs in the K-x? When I was researching 2-3 moths ago I found dozens of such from loyal Pentaxians. I kept reading and reading...
Could you please provide at least half a dozen of examples?

Well, now those who complained in 2009 and through to the release of the K-r have their wish - an updated K-x that has a proprietary battery with all the drawbacks
Could you please provide at least few examples?
How do you know they're the same people?

11-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

If the K-r would be such a hit, I'm sure there will be lots of thirs party manufacturers (surely from China) who would make these battery adapters if Pentax won't make them immediately available or horribly expensive.
I'm sure there will be lots of non-OEM batteries that will surface too much like the ones for the previous cameras that use Li-ions.
11-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by au22ru Quote
Could you please provide at least half a dozen of examples?

Could you please provide at least few examples?
How do you know they're the same people?
Easy to do a search. You could google it too. Most of the reviews had that as one of the negatives too.

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-10-2010 at 11:11 AM.
11-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by InStitches49 Quote
Eneloop is what I've heard the most positive info about.
Yup. I love mine; they last forever (forever = all day taking touristy pictures on vacation)!

11-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #20

Easy to do a search. You could google it too. Most of the reviews had that as one of the negatives too.
I tried and I couldn't find any proof, that "loyal Pentaxians"
behave the way you describe.

Could you please proof your words?
11-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I opened this thread to reply with the adapter info I'd already found - but other people got there first. Yes, it's a total rip-off and I hate proprietary batteries. With AA's I could spend 2 weeks in the wilderness with no power supply and keep taking photos (I have done this a few times, it's not a silly theoretical requirement) and these days doing that seems to require an adapter (K-r) or a bulky battery grip (K-5) which totally kills the compact size advantage for such a trip. Sigh.
11-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Early on after the K-x release, there were issues with battery use or at least the battery indicator with certain batteries. That was quickly fixed with a firmware release. However, my recollection is that AA batts were a positive for far more posters here than not.

11-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
I opened this thread to reply with the adapter info I'd already found - but other people got there first. Yes, it's a total rip-off and I hate proprietary batteries. With AA's I could spend 2 weeks in the wilderness with no power...
I don't hate proprietary or AAs
What I don't like is when something is inconvenient.

Pentax did a great job combining both solutions in one design,
but they made it a little inconvenient.
If the battery compartment sized for AAs, adapter must
be included. That's all.

Anyway, the camera is nearly perfect, just $69 away from
being 100% perfect. Let's enjoy it. )
11-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by au22ru Quote
I don't hate proprietary or AAs
What I don't like is when something is inconvenient.

I don't hate proprietary or AAs either. I use both the K-7 and the K-m. What I don't like about the K-r system is the inconvenience of it. With my K-m, I can just open the battery door and out fall the AA eneloops into my hand. Very easy to pop the spare eneloops into the body and go. And the eneloops last me a long time too. It appears to me that with the K-r, I would need to pluck out the adaptor and then pluck out the batteries. Then feed new batteries into the adaptor (unless I spent the excess money for two adaptors and keep the spare loaded). It is all an inconvenient solution, when the good eneloops just work quickly, and perform flawlessly. I also hope the adaptor is durable and the plastic will not eventually break.

My K-m is showing it's dated technology, so just this morning I ordered a new K-x body to keep somewhat up to date, and keep the option of my convenience that I am used to.

Anyway, the camera is nearly perfect, just $69 away from
being 100% perfect. Let's enjoy it. )
But still more expensive than my K-m and now K-x that I can have some fast spare eneloops ready at no extra cost of the adaptor.
11-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #25
Forum Member

Sorry, my first post other than the market place, and I goofed it up by combining the above quote with my reply.
11-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I agree (FWIW) that Pentax should include the D-BH109 AA battery holder in the K-r box. I mean it's only a $2 piece of plastic, and it would make the K-r much more convenient to use for many people.

If you are reading this Pentax, pls take note.

After all, in some European markets they bundled an Eneloop battery charger + 4 batteries into the K-x kit. So it's not as if Pentax don't know how to add value to the retail box.

It's plain silly not to include this accessory with the K-r.
11-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Plus, rechargeable batts aren't even a necessity. I took a trip in June in which I only used Lithium AA batts (nonrechargeable) in my K-x. I got about 3,000 clicks on each set, and the last set is still in the camera going strong.
11-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I just tried to plug in my AC Adapter to d/l the 200 photo's I took today and I just noticed there isn't a plug in. What the hell is up with that????? This is the first Pentax DSLR without one.
11-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I just tried to plug in my AC Adapter to d/l the 200 photo's I took today and I just noticed there isn't a plug in. What the hell is up with that????? This is the first Pentax DSLR without one.
If you mean AC Adapter for the K-r, I see that pages 50 & 51 of the manual describes how to connect the K-AC109.

It also says in a Memo at end of p51: Be sure to read the manual that came with the AC Adapter kit when using it.

.R.
11-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #30
Veteran Member

The AC adapter is D-AC50 it plugs into the wall. So you don't waste battery power while d/ling your pictures.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/accessories/AC_Adapter_Kit_D-AC50/