Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photochimp Quote
The k-r kit will be just over $1000 with tax and shipping.
The listed price was $999 a day or two ago (before that it was $1019.99), and today it's $917.
I will probably keep waiting to see what happens as Christmas gets closer.

I know I'd be happy with a k-x, but I think I'd be happer with a k-r. Money is almost always tight for me, but every once in a while I get a bit extra and can afford something nice. Why not go for when I can? I'm thinking the 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses will be enough for me have some fun and take some nice shots as I learn my way around the camera. If it takes me 6 months or a year to get some more/better lenses that's fine.
A kit like that and an old manual focus 50mm1.7 to fool around with should keep you busy for years to come

11-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I do go with the k-x kit... any recommendations for a macro lens under $300?
This might be the cheapest worth buying:

Cosina 100mm 1:3.5, also sold as Phoenix, Promaster, Vivitar, (~ US$ 100 from Ebay):

Cosina 100mm F1:3,5 MC Makro Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Cosina AF 100mm f/3.5 macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report

Also consider the Pentax-M 100mm 1:4:

SMC Pentax-M 100mm F4 Macro Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

As for the choice between the k-x and k-r it is a tough call as the extra features (hi-res display, improved AF, AF points on the viewfinder) are nice to have, but not essential IMO.
11-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
"nice to have, but not essential"...

That's exactly where I'm stuck.

Of course, most features on most cameras these days are not essential. Those things that are "nice to have" though, are sometimes REALLY nice to have.

I'm probably going to wait a little longer and see where prices go. A nice price drop, or sale, or even rebate on the k-r would make the choice so much easier. It's been a while since I've had a camera, though, and I'd really like to get one in my hands before Christmas.

**edit**

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote

That's something I may actually be able to afford.
I could probably get the k-r with the two lenses, and afford the macro lens in a couple months. Or, get the k-x + kit lenses + that lens all at once...

Last edited by photochimp; 11-07-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added something
11-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

things that are "nice to have" though, are sometimes REALLY nice to have.
Sounds like you'd better get the k-r just so that not doing so doesn't bug you down the line?

QuoteQuote:
I could probably get the k-r with the two lenses, and afford the macro lens in a couple months. Or, get the k-x + kit lenses + that lens all at once...
Getting those at a good price is likely to require some patient Ebay watching. If I were you I'd keep an eye on ebay.co.uk too. Royal Mail signed-for is reasonably priced, and in my experience private sellers are more often than not willing to ship outside UK if you ask them politely :-)

11-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'd far far rather have a K-x twin kit plus DAL35mm than a K-r twin kit for the same price. The extra features of the K-r are not worth it with the current price difference. It's far more important to get better lenses; such as swap the 18-55 for a 16-45, or keep the 18-55 and buy the DAL35.
11-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #21
Forum Member

This is definitely an opinion. I could have bought the KX and saved some money but chose to buy the KR twin kit because the differences are worth it if you ask me. Maybe not to everybody but definitely for me...The image quality is similar but the other differences led me to get the KR instead of the KX.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'd far far rather have a K-x twin kit plus DAL35mm than a K-r twin kit for the same price. The extra features of the K-r are not worth it with the current price difference. It's far more important to get better lenses; such as swap the 18-55 for a 16-45, or keep the 18-55 and buy the DAL35.
11-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Sounds like you'd better get the k-r just so that not doing so doesn't bug you down the line?
I don't want to get the k-x and wish I'd gotten the k-r instead.
I'm sure the k-x is a very good camera, but there are some things it lacks that make me question how happy I'd be with it.
I think I can afford the k-r kit, and with christmas almost here maybe someone will be nice and get me another lens (probably a macro). Even if that doesn't happen I could probably afford something like the Pentax 100mm soon after christmas.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Thanks for your opinion, and I do understand why some may choose that, but it's just not that easy of a decision for me. I'd rather have a k-5 and a bunch of amazing lenses, but that sure isn't going to happen. I've only used compact/bridge cameras in the past so I think the k-r w/ two kit lenses and a macro soon after will pretty much cover the range I like to shoot, and be all I need to get myself comfortable with the whole setup. Then I can think about adding more lenses to my collection. The k-x looks great, but again, I'm just not sure I'd be happy with my decision if I went that way.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigCTM Quote
This is definitely an opinion. I could have bought the KX and saved some money but chose to buy the KR twin kit because the differences are worth it if you ask me. Maybe not to everybody but definitely for me...The image quality is similar but the other differences led me to get the KR instead of the KX.
Glad to hear from someone who got the k-r and doesn't regret it.
What did you like particularly about it over the k-x?

11-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had and been using the K-x since 10-09 and just bought a K-r. I want the K-r for the potentially improved AF, better screen and the focus indicators. Now I have to decide if I want to sell the K-x. I chose to buy both as "body only" purchases as I did not want the DAL lenses I dont think plastic mount lenses will carry any value. I bought a used DA 18-55 and a new DA 55-300 lenses. Since then I have replaced or are in the process of upgrading those to faster lenses. The 300 end is tough. If I had it to do over again I would have just gone into the faster lenses.
11-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

for that price range I would get a K-7
11-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #25

i would go for the K-x and for the money left invest in good optics...
11-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You may be hankering after certain features of the K-R, but if that is the case then a top of the line camera like the K-5 will have you salivating all the more. Yes, I appreciate the little things the K-R has over the little K-x, but for me they are not enough to justify an upgrade, since the real goodies are the two dials, etc. on the flagships.

In fact, if you can get a used K20D for the same price as the K-x, and don't care for video, buy it instead. Though it doesn't have the same high ISO, the image quality is better otherwise. It is also larger and heavier but I find myself packing it instead of the baby.

Ergonomics and IQ trump other stuff for me.

If I was doing it all over again I'd buy a K20D and FA77 from the sales forum here. Looking at current listings that is $1135. (Borrow the $135 from the first person you plan on shooting a portrait of. Then charge it back to them!)

I would take pictures for a year with that one lens, knowing I had the best possible IQ this side of medium format.

(Just to throw more options at you!)
11-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well... I ordered the k-r w/18-55 & 55-300.
I know many say the k-r isn't worth the money, but I guess I'll have to judge that when I get it.
Thanks for the input from everyone.
Now I just have to keep my eyes open for a decent affordable macro...
12-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #28
Site Supporter

i think the k-r is well worth the difference. so many upgrades over the k-x

Tamron 90mm Di Macro (~$400) it isnt really affordable but its a really nice macro I just paired with my k-r