Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kr AF-C test

Yesterday I bought my Kr for 579 euro, a good price I think. My first impression, the camera feels quite good in my hands not plastic like or cheap although it's a bit small for me, my K10d feels much better I donít mind the extra weight of the k10d. The reason I bought the Kr was for itís better ISO performance en better AF-C.
We have seen a lot of tests on ISO performance of the KR but not so many about the AF-C performance. In the weekends I try to shoot soccer with my K10D but it just canít keep up with my Sigma 70-200 at 2.8, only a few pictures are sharp shooting at F2.8 or F4. ISO 800 is max for the K10D. Soccer in Holland is a winter sport so not much light out there at the soccer field.
Today I gave the Kr a try on AF-C performance with my Sigma 70-200 HSM II. I did a test at F2.8 and one at F4. Halfway the two tests I had to zoom out because my son was getting to close.
Iím quite impressed with the Kr because my K10d could never do this.
The Kr was on Center AF point, AF-C mode, Default JPEG mode, Focus priority.
The pictures can be found on:
http://www.dijkx.com
You can scroll through the photo's with the arrow keys

11-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a little hard to understand the test you were conducting as the photo labels don't convey much meaning but, I have to say that the images look well focused with very nice separation of the subject. Thanks for providing this.
11-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
It's a little hard to understand the test you were conducting as the photo labels don't convey much meaning but, I have to say that the images look well focused with very nice separation of the subject. Thanks for providing this.
p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The purpose of this test was to see if the Kr could lock on a fast moving object moving towards the camera at a small aperture (2.8 and 4) my K10d had a lot of trouble with such a test.
So this test is not about image quality or high iso performance but only to test the tracking ability of the Kr. I' was positively surprised about the performance of this little camera, much better than my K10d. The little boy was running towards me at full speed and nearly every picture was sharp. Thanks for your reply on my post.
11-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dijkx Quote
p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } The purpose of this test was to see if the Kr could lock on a fast moving object moving towards the camera at a small aperture (2.8 and 4) my K10d had a lot of trouble with such a test.
So this test is not about image quality or high iso performance but only to test the tracking ability of the Kr. I' was positively surprised about the performance of this little camera, much better than my K10d. The little boy was running towards me at full speed and nearly every picture was sharp. Thanks for your reply on my post.
I cannot get the link because of timing out (takes too long to load the page).

Anyway, I am more than pleased to find out about the AF-C of the K-r because my daughter is buying one (I am getting the K5).
Great piece of news and thank you for reporting!

Cheers!

JP

11-16-2010, 04:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Very nice results! I really like the High-ISO soccer shots and your 'Random K-r pictures' as well.
11-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Very nice results! I really like the High-ISO soccer shots and your 'Random K-r pictures' as well.
Thanks, DSims, some more AF-C pics I have taken with the Kr at ISO 6400 can be found here:

Gallery - Category: Exelsior-M E-4 Quintus E-2

I could never have done that with my K10d, the ISO performance and af-c are so much better with the Kr.