Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
I had both cameras for a while and got rid of the K-r,
tried and tested both side by side for a few months
gave up on the K-r and gave it away to a family member.

The K-r has a little faster AF, fancy illuminated points and an AF assist light
(which is way too weak!, my 2006 Fuji S9100 has a better beam..)

My older K-x may be a tad slower to AF but more importantly to me was always *more accurate*
and not affected by tungsten or any other artificial light front-focus issues compared to the K-r.

For me, the K-x simply gives more consistent results in low-light conditions.

And since the debug menu trick wasn't discovered for the K-r,
I could not adjust the focus properly with the limited in-camera range.
With my K-x I can easily enter the debug menu and correct issues for a certain problem lens.

Plus, the K-x sensor is slightly better in the ISO 400-800 range,
what the K-x does at ISO 400, the K-r needed 800 and so on.
Daytime pics @ ISO 100-200 were better on the K-r.

Even after sending the K-r in to Pentax for calibration and updating the firmware,
I still had much better results using the K-x in my very specific photo shoots
(nightime / low-light urban firefighting scenes).

Note that my usage is very specific, most people here have had good luck with their K-r's
I've had a K-m for 2.5 years now. Generally quite happy with it, but I wouldn't mind some of the upgrades that come with either the k-x or k-r. The posts here certainly have given me something to think about it, but really haven't left me with a clear choice.

I also like to do lower light/higher iso photography. I do a lot of hockey photography at the local rink, and the lighting is not that great, so I typically have to run ISO 800/1600 on my KM (using a tamron 70-300) unless the players are standing around pre-game.

But I also like to do a lot of daytime shots in the part, flower macro, pictures of water (close shots), and now pictures of my daughter. So I really need one that does it all. Rather than a particular niche. I would like to get more into night time photography when I have some time as well.

Price in country is so-so.
$478 for the K-x
$602 for the K-r
(with the lens, not just body)

I'd also consider the battery adapter for the k-r a necessity. I really enjoy using the 4 AA batteries on my K-m. I get around 1700 photos (no flash) on my K-m. Anyone got a rough photo count on either of the cameras using AA batteries?
usually I change the batteries a little early as well. When it gets yellow, I'll turn it off and on once to see if it becomes green again, and if I've got spare batteries on me, I'll change it pretty quick after that if it remains yellow. I'm sure I could squeeze more photos out of it, but I'd rather not miss one because the battery suddenly died.

12-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got 700-800 shots on the K-x with Eneloop AAs. If you get the K-r I suggest that you get a AA adapter too.
12-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I got 700-800 shots on the K-x with Eneloop AAs. If you get the K-r I suggest that you get a AA adapter too.
have you ever used the energizer lithiums?
I typically just grab a 4 pack of the energizer ultimate lithiums.
Rechargeable is great, but at 1/2 the picture count, that's a little rough.
12-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #49
Forum Member

I would have thought this "811 vs 755), Dynamic Range (12.5 vs 12.4). " was just between batch experimental error. Not sure it's significant and probably means they are about the same. Overall it would seem people have slightly different views depending on usage and perhaps a slight quality control issue between models. For example, I am still finding the lithium battery lasting longer than AA's in my K-r where others are finding the converse. I am not getting any mis-focusing issues. One thing I have found is that the much vaunted low light capabilities of these cameras is overcooked. I find high ISO pictures have low noise when taken in good light but the noise is much higher in shots taken at the same ISO in low light. This is to be expected because of the signal/noise ratio differences I guess. I have found this to be the case for all digital cameras, so it is just that the starting point is better in the K-x and K-r which seem pretty much on a par with this respect.
In summary, for those changing, from someone who has owned the K-m, K-x, and K-r for about the same time I would say there was a big jump from the K-m to the K-x, a smaller but worthwhile jump to the K-r and no negative changes with each new model.
Dave

12-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #50

Havind had both bodies I found the IQ very close bar the K-r being a bit more "natural" less saturated in general.
I liked both bodies but the K-x was overall better because it could actually AF accurately in low kelvin light ;-)

K-r is nicer in some ways bigger buffer, few more bits in there, lighting AF points yes helps things, nicer LCD. The K-r should have been a souped up K-x but sadly the prolems stopped that. Saying that some folks had K-x mirror slap problems too.

Guess it's a lottery if you get a Pentax DSLR that actually doesn't have any issues.
Can't say I cared much for the slightly cooked raw on either (not a deal breaker)
12-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
have you ever used the energizer lithiums?
I typically just grab a 4 pack of the energizer ultimate lithiums.
Rechargeable is great, but at 1/2 the picture count, that's a little rough.
Not rough at all. Ive spent all day at Walt Disney World on one set of Eneloops. The.Energizer Lithium batteries cost A LOT and cause more landfill issues. I just carry several sets of Eneloops.
12-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #52

Not rough at all. Ive spent all day at Walt Disney World on one set of Eneloops. The.Energizer Lithium batteries cost A LOT and cause more landfill issues. I just carry several sets of Eneloops.
Same for me. Other than testing, I've never had to change batteries more than once a day. I still carry a spare set of Eneloops with me just in case. I try not to change them until they get to red, but will often do so after several days of yellow just to be on the safe side. If I were to take so many photos (700+) in one session to exhaust the batteries, I would actually appreciate the break.
12-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #53
Veteran Member

How about drain while not in use?
I've noticed in the past that some rechargeables will just up and die if left for a bit.

02-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Spocko Quote
K-r is nicer in some ways bigger buffer, few more bits in there, lighting AF points yes helps things, nicer LCD. The K-r should have been a souped up K-x but sadly the prolems stopped that. Saying that some folks had K-x mirror slap problems too.
After change from k-x to k-r everything was just perfect and I was happy... but then mirror slap caught my camera
03-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #55

Kr

Looking for a used Kr
Anyone have one for sale?
03-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Check the marketplace forum. There are a few for sale right now. You'll likely need to make a couple more posts before you can use the private message system to contact sellers.
03-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #57
Inactive Account

LCD Screen

I too currently have Kx and wondering if it is worth it to upgrade to Kr
(guessing I will probably lose somewhere around $200 to trade up.)

For those who have used both I specifically was interested whether
the slightly larger LCD and more resolution helps in viewing a more
accurate image (if it is out of focus.)

I shot mostly still pictures but occasionally I experimented with
shooting video with shallow DOF so it needed precise manual
focusing. With the Kx, with my eyes at its current condition,
I found it a bit hard to find the good focus image.
It would be great if the higher resolution LCD (and slightly
larger size) makes a big difference.

Let me know if anybody has experience with that (or if you
use LiveVideo with manual focusing.) All the other better
features of the Kr (such auto focus indiicator, etc.) is not
so important for me.

Thanks.
04-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I just got a K-r to possibly replace my K-x... I got it cause it was on an extreme blowout sale and couldn't resist the price... Plus the features difference really intrigued me. So we will see if it replaces it or just becomes part of the family...

Who says you can't have 2 bodies other than the boss!

lol
04-25-2012, 02:06 AM   #59
Forum Member

Can we ask what a K-r costs in an extreme blowout sale in LA?
04-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Sure...$299