Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-r vs K-x

Here you will find a comparison of the K-r and the K-x:

Pentax K-r & Pentax K-x - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Note that the comparison page is dynamic, and will actually allow you to compare the K-r to any other Pentax DSLR (up to 8 at a time!).

Here are our K-r user reviews:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-digital-slr-camera-reviews/113820-pentax-k-r.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Forum Member

11-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Forum Member

11-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Forum Member

I thought the kx was fast but the kr just blows it away. gosh

12-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #5

I bought my k-r 10 days ago. When you compare two camera with their specs, it seems there are not much difference between k-x and k-r. My preset was on Pentax k-x before I go to buy it for budgetary reason. When I have used k-x, I have disappointed with the Live view auto focus speed. I have seen k-r nearby on the shelf and wanted to use it. Gosh it was flying in my click. I loved the magnifying rectangle on the screen during auto focus in live view. The only issue was price difference, but I found a cash refund campaign from Pentax in Germany. So k-r had been in a reasonable one for me in terms of price. Thanks Pentax. I have also bought an old second hand zoom lens from 1970s from Tokina. Unbelievably it works. Needless to say no auto focus but it's ok till I buy a real lens. I'm so happy with the k-r decision instead of k-x.

The items I hadn't like with Pentax k-x was as follows;
No auto focus lights on the pentamirror viewfinder.
AA batteries, (It is a matter of preference)
Slower on live view auto focus compared to k-r.

Auto focus speed on live view has been main reason of my choice of Pentax k-r instead of k-x

Last edited by Parallax; 12-16-2010 at 09:40 AM.
01-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

This is my understanding of the main differences (apart from the live view mentioned above)

K-r has faster auto focus (but not sure how different it is. K-x was already better than the K20D.)
K-r apparently has better high ISO performance, but k-x already had a good reputation for this. (Not sure how big the difference is)
K-r has a focus assist lamp, which is quite a nice addition.
K-r allows interval shooting.
The K-r has the focus points appear in the view finder. (Quite a few people complained about the k-x lacking this.)
The k-x takes AA batteries, and the K-r has a lithium battery (but can take AAs, with an adapter).
01-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #7

I'm interested to hear more feedback from folks who have made the leap from k-x to k-r. Is it significant?

01-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #8

K-R over K-X: Focus points in viewfinder, interval shooting, higher ISO, better screen, Li battery. These are the upgrades I have noticed reading all these reviews and comparisons. Anything else?
02-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Friends,

I was about to place order for a K-x with 18-55 + 55-300 lenses for $629 on Buy.com and then saw K-r with 18-55 + 55-200 lenses for around the same price. Now I'm torn between these two options. I have read everywhere that the 55-300 lens is optically much better than the 55-200 lens. I won't really miss the additional 100mm reach but don't want to lose out on IQ either.

Please advise.
02-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
lewisaarica

Pentax k-x

I think the Pentax k-x is the most camera you can get for your money in this both of the camera. This is the best part I like about this camera. It supports ISo up to 6400, and can be expanded to 12800, Pentax did a great job reducing noise, especially color noise. It's hard to find the noise from the pictures. Built quality of this camera is generally good for beginner digital SLR, sturdy and substantial. Ergonomic is not the best especially for people that has big hand or finger, but it is good in general. It uses 4 AA batteries and this is really nice.Pentax Kx replaces Pentax KM / K2000. There are many improvements from KM, such as three stops higher ISO setting, video recording, faster continuous shooting, 11 selectable auto focus points and 12.3 megapixel image resolution

Last edited by Parallax; 02-03-2011 at 02:09 PM.
02-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've noticed one additional difference. The flash appears to have been redesigned slightly. It appears to have a slightly better reach than the Kx. For instance, when using certain lenses, such as the Pentax-DA* 16-50mm (which is a large 77mm lens), photos from the Kx often have a large shadow but this is less of an issue with the kr because of the extra height of the flash.

Last edited by mjkelly62; 02-23-2011 at 03:35 AM.
03-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #12

more elevated flash

QuoteOriginally posted by mjkelly62 Quote
I've noticed one additional difference. The flash appears to have been redesigned slightly. It appears to have a slightly better reach than the Kx. For instance, when using certain lenses, such as the Pentax-DA* 16-50mm (which is a large 77mm lens), photos from the Kx often have a large shadow but this is less of an issue with the kr because of the extra height of the flash.
tnx for this., it is very important information, can anyone confirm it to?
03-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #13

This place simplifies technical comparison very well, and by the way, the k-x has better ISO scores in lab tests:

Compare the Pentax K-r vs Pentax K-x

However they fail to mention the lack of the focusing dots

How can I know what my focus point is? I just ordered one cause I got it for a good price
03-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barbarosa Quote
tnx for this., it is very important information, can anyone confirm it to?
I've owned the K-x and now replaced it with the K-r. The flash is many times better than the K-x. I have noticed that I do, indeed, get a softer shadow with the K-r. It's a nice feature if you are on-the-go and do not have an external one.

Also, I should mention that the LCD screen on the K-r is bigger and has a much higher resolution (K-r: 3.0 in, 921k pixels vs K-x: 2.7 in, 230k pixels) than the Pentax K-x and therefore, helps to verify the focus in your photos much better. In general, the K-r is a nice improvement, but as the $100 price difference shows, both cameras are still in the same ballpark.
03-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #15

I just set it to the center point when I had the K-x.

QuoteOriginally posted by Overfocused Quote
This place simplifies technical comparison very well, and by the way, the k-x has better ISO scores in lab tests:

Compare the Pentax K-r vs Pentax K-x

However they fail to mention the lack of the focusing dots

How can I know what my focus point is? I just ordered one cause I got it for a good price