Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #16

Darn, I had both for a few days and didn't bother trying this out (I almost never use the built-in flash).

QuoteOriginally posted by Barbarosa Quote
tnx for this., it is very important information, can anyone confirm it to?

03-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I'd wait. Currently, the K-r has a severe autofocus problem under low light. I had my K-r adjusted (it came with a misaligned sensor), and the FF is still bad indoors. My other Pentaxes work well indoors. As there has been a K5 firmware update 3 days ago and the K-r's Problems are practically identical, I'd wait for a week or so. If the K-r's frontfocus problem gets repaired within this period, I'd get me a K-r then. Otherwise go with the older camera. Unuseable AF can be VERY frustrating!
03-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #18

Dumb question here I'm sure, but I can assume the lenses that came with the K-X kit would fit the K-R, right?
03-26-2011, 05:21 AM   #19

Yes, they use the same lenses.

05-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Overfocused Quote
(snip)
However they fail to mention the lack of the focusing dots

How can I know what my focus point is? I just ordered one cause I got it for a good price
If you set the focus point, via the Menu button and the LCD screen, you will know which of the 11 possible positions it is in - but it does not remind you in the viewfinder window!

I use the central position only: focus with a half-press of the shutter release, and that locks the focus so the scene can be recomposed while the release is half pressed (if the AutoFocus mode is in AF.S setting). Or use the AF lock button to do the same.

The "Green Button" can be assigned the duty of forcing the AF point to the central position from where-ever else it may have been set to.
07-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #21

I dropped my K-x and it was replaced on insurance with the K-r. Initial reactions are:-
Autofocus a bit faster and more precise.
LCD Screen better.
Li battery much longer life than Eneloops.
Faster continuous shooting in raw.
Tons better focusing speed in live view - K-x was unusable

Focus points weren't really an issue for me anyway.

Dave
07-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #22

I've been reading about the K-x and K-r recently and have finally decided. Just ordered a K-r a little while ago

07-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote

Li battery much longer life than Eneloops.

Dave
Dave, do you mean longer life than Eneloops in the K-x or in the K-r? How many shots are you getting with the lithium-ion? How many with the Eneloops in the K-x.....and in the K-r?
07-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #24

I mean the Lithium in the K-r seems longer than the Eneloops on the K-x. Have no "test"results to back this up but I'm confident of it. However I seemed to get less out of my Eneloops than others, perhaps through inferior charging. With the K-r you've got the flexibility for both. I got one of those cheap holders off Ebay and it works fine.
07-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
I mean the Lithium in the K-r seems longer than the Eneloops on the K-x. Have no "test"results to back this up but I'm confident of it. However I seemed to get less out of my Eneloops than others, perhaps through inferior charging. With the K-r you've got the flexibility for both. I got one of those cheap holders off Ebay and it works fine.
I've got both and the Eneloops in my K-x last a LOT longer than my Pentax OEM Proprietary battery in my K-r.
08-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #26

is the color reproduction of K-r and K-x distinctively different? i think i have issue with color in my K-x (not to say it's not good, maybe to my eyes i don't like the color set)..
08-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Is it worth an upgrade

I have a K-x right now is it worth the upgrade?
08-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rblank Quote
That really depends what you want it for, what style of photography interests you, your budget, and several other factors.

That said, it does have some very significant improvements, like a much higher resolution screen, that can make a big difference in the field. I didn't upgrade, the K-r is my first DSLR, but two months in I feel it was worth every penny, and then some.
08-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by rblank Quote
I have both a K-x and K-r, and in my opinion after fully testing the K-r for a few months now would say NO it isn't worth the upgrade.
Illuminated focus dots (that front-focus in some conditions..) and a pretty useless AF assist beam were not 'upgrades' to me!

Michel

Last edited by mlatour; 08-09-2011 at 03:58 PM.
08-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #30

I've recently replaced my K-x with a K-r and say that it is! But then it didn't cost me anything as it was an insurance replacement. I would say that it is better in all the ways people have suggested above but the K-x was fine so it just depends on the price differential really.