Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-r High ISO Noise Reduction problem

Hi,

I've just bought K-r this week and wanted to check what High ISO Noise Reduction is capable of.
1. First I took some pictures with default settings (default High ISO NR is set to Auto)
2. Then I turned High ISO NR to Off and took pictures from ISO 100 to ISO 25600.
3. Then I set High ISO NR to High (or Strong) and took pictures again from ISO 100 to ISO 25600.

To my surprise pictures in first set (NR Off) where much much cleaner than in second (NR High/Strong).

After some other tests I came up with possible problem of K-r firmware.

When you go into High ISO NR menu, camera remembers settings and does not update them after your changes (select other than selected, click [ok] button).

Can anyone having K-r confirm this is an issue with firmware 1.0 or is this just my experience and this depends on some other camera settings.

11-12-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NR removes noise but also destroys detail- so it really depends on the situation. I think that the in-camera NR should only be used in low-light situations. More details on that in the professional review for the K-5/r.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
After Adam's response I think I need to describe some of the other tests I made, so the real problem of K-r is clear.

After steps 1, 2 and 3 (described above) I did:
4. Turned Off my K-r and then turned it On
5. Took picture at ISO 25600 (NR was still High/Strong - camera is set to remember all settings)
Result: Picture is as clear as in first set where NR was turned off
6. Set NR to Off and took picture at ISO 25600
Result: No changes - picture is still as clear as in previous test
7. Turned Off my K-r and then turned it On again. Took picture
Result: A lot of noise.
11-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ooh- that sure sounds like a bug then!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: