Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Are the K-r "problems" overstated?

I've seen a bit of discussion about various issues with the k-r, like the e-dial and the front/back focus under various lighting and so on..

I'm not having a dig at anyone who does have these issues, but are some of these overstated?

Surely some of these 'issues' are just due to manufacturing tolerances?

I'm very close to purchasing one and I admit i'm a little concerned by some of the issues, but common sense tells me a this kind of reaction is common with any new item?

11-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Check any camera forum and you'll find that every camera out there has "issues". If you beleive the forums, you won't buy a Canon 7D because of banding at low ISO, you won't buy the Nikon D7000 because of hot pixels, etc
This is not to belittle the rare person who has a legitimately bad camera, but a lot of problems are from people who didn't read the manual, don't have an understanding of how the product works, or just plain have unreasonable expectations regarding what the product can do.
11-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In my experience, cameras are manufactured with tighter tolerances than the people who use them.
11-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The e-wheel doesn't sound to me like anything that can't be fixed, and many of hte cameras seem to be shipped iwthout this problem. Front focus and back focus problems, if need be, can be fixed by repair services. Or send the camera back before the end of the initial period specified by the vendor. I think one needs to realize that people experiencing problems are much more likely to write in than those not seeing problems. I don't see anything alarming.

11-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
Forum Member

As I mentioned on another thread, if everyone made decisions based on bad news in the forums no-one would have bought the iPhone 4 (millions have, including me) or the iPad (millions have, sadly not including me).

The K-r is a ripper: buy it. And in the off chance that something is wrong, take it back under warranty.
11-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
Inactive Account

as new member, welcome to every one present on this thread.

I bought a Pentax K-r one week ago and already had long shooting sessions, using different lenses (DA 35 macro - FDA 50 2.8 macro - Zoom 18-55 WR).

At this stage, I noticed no back or front focus issues. The new safox IX is definitely efficient and a real treat to compare with older Pentax AF systems (I used *ist DS, K200D and K-x bodies).
11-18-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter

its a great camera. buy it, if you notice issues you dont like, bring it back, forums are the home of peoples complaints, you sure wont see them on a pentax site
11-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Whether problems are overstated depends on if you're the person experiencing the problem with your camera or not. If you just paid out hard-earned money and get your camera home, only to find that it doesn't work as you expected, you're frustrated, worried, angry....etc. And it's completely understandable. Many come to the forums looking for direction on what to do next, or confirmation that what they see is a problem. And whether it's valid to all, to them it IS a problem and their perceptions are valid, even though their problems may not be.

OTOH, others buy the same model camera and have no issues with it. They may still go to the same forum to announce what they got. They might point out some feature it has that improves their photo quality. But they don't come to the boards saying "Hey all, I have a new widget and it has absolutely no problems!" It's the expected norm when you get something new that it works as expected or intended. There's an adage that a happy person tells one other. An unhappy one tells ten.

I also think there's something to people hearing about problems and then go looking for them, only to "find" them. Take the k-x alleged mirror slap problem. And I say alleged because I don't think the cause has ever been proven - though the problem does exist. Some people had a problem that caused a definite double image. My own k-x shows it intermittently in the critical shutter speed range. And it is a double image. Others went looking for a problem and suddenly blurred images were being blamed on shutter slap, when it could just as well have been caused by the person behind the camera. If I blamed my own blurred shots on the camera no way would I have bought a k-r. But I knew those were my fault and the occasional double image was the camera's. Moral here is people who look for problems often find them.

So, overstated? Maybe, or maybe not. But it's human nature to voice when you're not happy more than when you're satisfied.

11-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I had a Nikon D60 as first dslr, never looked at a forum once, it had ZERO issues. I wonder what would have happened if I started reading complaints on D60 forums? Prob would have found some "issues" I didnt know existed
11-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Issues overstated on web boards?? Surely you jest!

Jason
11-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #11

I definitely have a problem with the dial. Not that it lags, but that it actually jumps - even moving the dial slowly.

For example, this is what I have just got - moving the dial in ONE direction only:

3200, 2500, 2000, 1600, 1250, 1000, 2500, 2000, 1600, 1250, 1000, 800, 1000, 800, 640

And this was moving dial slowly and only in one direction.

Other times, it might jump from 4000 to 2000 (again, even if going slowly)

Presumably this is a straight forward fault and I can change it, and get a nice one.

Otherwise, I am hugely impressed. I had a k20d before, and expected AF and ISO etc to be better. What I didn't expect was for it also to have almost all the features I had on the K20D. And the menu is so much better than the k20d, and so well thought out that it is pretty much just as quick to change settings as it would be with dedicated buttons. In fact, I might even prefer k-r's method for changing the AF settings.
11-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No problems for me and it's been a few weeks
11-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #13

I'm hoping that the nature of the problem is such that you either had a bad one, in which case you take it back, or you have a good one, in which case you are fine and won't have a problem in the future.

I am getting my new one today.
11-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you beleive the forums, you won't buy a Canon 7D because of banding at low ISO
Oh come on at least insult the right camera...it's the 5Dmk2 with all those issues, which in reality wasn't a big deal. It was people trying to push exposure 10 stops and complained because it didn't look right.

Also first run of K-r's are bound to have to some problems. At least Microsoft isn't producing the K-r. Just look up Xbox red ring of death....
11-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I recall, the 7D was known for image ghosting from one from to the next when shooting high contrast inages at high frame rates.

The D5000 had a recalldue to a battery/capacitor issue.

K20D had hot pixels when the 2 sec mirroe lockup was used.

K-7 had the green stripe

D7000 More hot pixels, and no way to map them out. also hot pixels when filming.

A55 sensor overheats when in movie mode. resulted in a reduced shooting times

D200 some had corduroy banding with high contrast and sometimes at high ISO. (mine does this)

1D mkIII, some would spray oil from the shutter/mirror assembly onto the sensor.

Sony A700 nothing wrong except it might never get upgraded

K10D some websites reported strange "extra pixels" with the in camera RAW to JPG engine.

K-x has issues when people use cheap and or dead rechargables

D300 had false low battery warnings

I could go on.