Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #1

K-r lithium battery

Can I put the k-r lithium battery in my k-x? What's the price for an original, and can I find a "not-original" battery on ebay?

11-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Inactive Account

The battery compartment in the k-x doesn't have the internal rectangular cut-out for the k-r's battery. Besides not fitting, the internal contacts aren't in the k-x to mate with the k-r battery.

Factory batteries and after-market ones haven't hit the streets yet. The camera has only been available for about a month. I'm sure factory spares and non-factory ones will be available within another month or so. It takes awhile to ramp up production so that excess is produced beyond those needed to ship with new cameras.
11-18-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Forum Member

Enquired at my local store today and they list the D-LI 109 (K-r lithium) battery for A$129, which sounds like a lot. Encouragingly there does seem to be a non-original in the works according to this Chinese manufacturer site – For camera battery pentax D-Li109 products, buy For camera battery pentax D-Li109 products from alibaba.com – though I can't see any sign of it online yet.
11-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Forum Member

I just purchased a Pentax Li-109 from Adorama for my K-r camera and they claimed to have it in stock. It was $49.99 and had free shipping included, along with other shipping options. I opted to get the slightly faster shipping for an additional $2.30. I will track the shipping time and respond back here when I get the battery for your reference.

12-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original response lost when system crashed: I received my battery from Adorama on 2010-11-30, which was 12 calendar days (8 business days). They shipped from NJ using Streamlite, which then passed the package to the USPS in Seattle, WA for delivery to me in a suburb. It seems to have taken much too long, considering I have ordered from the east coast with USPS First Class and/or Priority Mail shipping and received it in half the time. Just wanted to pass my experience along. The battery is an official Pentax product, and charged up just fine.
12-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #6

I saw that Bestbatt.com has a battery listed for the K-R at a very good price. I have used their batteries in my Panasonic FZ-18 with good results. Get same performance as the OEM battery. When I finally decide on getting the K-R I will pick up at least one spare (probably 2) from them.

Steve W.
12-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Australian Buyers

Perhaps check this one out, I have bought twice from these and found to be very good. Cheap and very quick delivery.
Ok they may be cheaper brand batteries but worth thinking about considering the much reduced price.
DLi-109 at under $40.

Buy Pentax Digital Camera Batteries - Digital Camera Battery for Pentax Cameras

12-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Australian Buyers

Perhaps check this one out, I have bought twice from these and found to be very good. Cheap and very quick delivery.
Ok they may be cheaper brand batteries but worth thinking about considering the much reduced price.
DLi-109 at under $40.

Buy Pentax Digital Camera Batteries - Digital Camera Battery for Pentax Cameras

Ordered one of these today and word must have got around because they are now out of stock. Shipping me one direct from the manufacturer.

In the meantime the 900mA model arrived today from batteryupgrade.com. I'll try to compare the OEM with both copies when I have them.

12-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
After the first charge my original Pentax Li-Ion was going red after only 100 shots. I expected a bit longer life. Is this normal behaviour?
12-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
After the first charge my original Pentax Li-Ion was going red after only 100 shots. I expected a bit longer life. Is this normal behaviour?
The camera and its exposure system doesn't use much power. What sucks up the juice is the display, using the flash and using live view/taking movies. So, did you chimp a lot after each and every shot? I'm sure you spent some time going through the menus to set up the camera. How about live view? What about the flash?

The battery should be good for about 500-600 or so shots with some chimping between shots and some use of the flash. My experience has been it takes a full cycle of charging, running the battery down to whenever the device says it needs recharging and then recharging for a full cycle to get the maximum life out of the battery. The charge it takes when forst out of the box doesn't seem to excite the battery chemistry to showing its true capacity.

If, after a few charge/discharge cycles you still have short battery life, you might want to consider having the camera serviced or look at an exchange as this would be abnormally short life and there could be a problem within the camera.
12-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by DonP Quote
The camera and its exposure system doesn't use much power. What sucks up the juice is the display, using the flash and using live view/taking movies. So, did you chimp a lot after each and every shot? I'm sure you spent some time going through the menus to set up the camera. How about live view? What about the flash?

The battery should be good for about 500-600 or so shots with some chimping between shots and some use of the flash. My experience has been it takes a full cycle of charging, running the battery down to whenever the device says it needs recharging and then recharging for a full cycle to get the maximum life out of the battery. The charge it takes when forst out of the box doesn't seem to excite the battery chemistry to showing its true capacity.

If, after a few charge/discharge cycles you still have short battery life, you might want to consider having the camera serviced or look at an exchange as this would be abnormally short life and there could be a problem within the camera.
My expectation for the virgin-out-of-the-box Li-Ion was at least 300+ shots. 100 is a disappointment. Yes I did some setup play but nothing extensive. It seems that K-r power consumption is higher than K-x.

I have found the same energy hungry behaviour with the AA setup. K-r is also extremely temperature sensitive. After 1 hour outside in the cold (about zero degree Celsius) power of fresh AA went down to red.

cheers,
d
12-06-2010, 06:05 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
My expectation for the virgin-out-of-the-box Li-Ion was at least 300+ shots.
When you say 'out-of-the-box' I assume you mean 'out-of-the-box and then charged'. If that's the case, it sounds to me like something is wrong. I haven't counted but am certainly getting around the 500 mark on a single charge (virtually no flash use, but plenty of time spent reviewing).
12-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by djb21au Quote
When you say 'out-of-the-box' I assume you mean 'out-of-the-box and then charged'. If that's the case, it sounds to me like something is wrong. I haven't counted but am certainly getting around the 500 mark on a single charge (virtually no flash use, but plenty of time spent reviewing).
The battery was ofcourse charged, I wrote after the 1st charge. I have put K-r to heavy use lately cycling lots of AA batteries. But I've been doing mostly HDR in very cold enviroment, so cannot make a conclusion about normal performance.

cheers,
d
12-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #14
Forum Member

For the record I've taken a couple of hundred pictures with my new third-party 900mA Li battery on its first charge and it has only just dropped off full.
12-07-2010, 05:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I found this item a few weeks ago, haven't ordered one yet.
New Battery for PENTAX D-LI109 DLI109 K-R K-2 KR K2 SLR (eBay item 180589632878 end time 19-Dec-10 14:14:55 AEDST) : Cameras Photo