Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-r or k-x?

hello, guys.

I was pentax user and went to canon for a while, after this summer (shoot some

portraits w/ 5D, 40D), I loved 5D but it's still heavy for me so I sold most of them.

(I'm selling 40D today

I'm glad that coming back to Pentax!!

I'm thinking to get K-R or K-X.

here is what i'm thinking

1.K-R 35mm 2.4 kit (799$ on ebay) + 18-55 lens from here(50~60$) = 860$

2. K-X 18-55 kit (490$) + 35mm 2.4 (210$ on ebay) = 700$

what do you guys think?

I have a money to get K-R but If i get 2, I'll sell 18-55 and probably get 16-45mm.

which one is better you think?

p.s mostly shot landscape and indoor & outdoor portrait

11-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Given the above I'd be inclined to go for the k-r for the added/improved features (hi-res display, improved AF with viewfinder focus point indicators), otherwise these are very similar AFAIK, high ISO is a special strength.
11-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
my friend has black k-x 1855 kit(he is thinking to sell it), and before I decide my mind,

I borrowed it for few days.

i like the small size, light weight. I might get white or some nice color k-x body w/ 35mm 2.4

and other zoom lens.
11-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shimoyjk Quote
I have a money to get K-R but If i get 2, I'll sell 18-55 and probably get 16-45mm.

which one is better you think?
Only you can really decide that, depending on what features for usability you are prepared to live with, or sacrifice, for the difference in cost.

Both are equal, output wise, according to general opinions of owners and reviewer 'tests'.

Below is a very brief overview of features;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=kx&c2=kr

And downloading and comparing the respective manuals off Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site would be a more useful comparison.

.R.

11-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #5

I think unless you're on a realllly tight budget, go for the K-r.

3" 920k LCD + Better AF system + VERY NICE LIVE VIEW are worth the price difference IMO
11-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
my friend is selling k-x black kit 400$ w/ 8gb card and reader

... do I have to get this? it's mint condition. K-R cost almost 400$ more...

I sent a pm who is looking for k-x from here, but I might grab this :P

800$ is my budget, and I guess if i get this k-x I can get 16-45 and probably spend a little more to

get 35mm 2.4

um... I'm thinking...
11-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #7

how about that $400 K-x + a used DA* 16-50/2.8 ? Then forget about the 35/2.4
11-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #8

I've been using a K-x for the last 12 months and just got myself a K-5. Personally, I don't find the lesser LCD nor lack of focus position confirmation a deal-breaker for the K-x. Only the focus speed and reliability makes a difference in taking pictures. If you need to do any kind of action photos, I would suggest K-r which, while probably not upto the level of a K-5, is reputed to be significantly improved in focus performance (Live view focusing is on another level also). On the other hand, if moving subject is not your priority, K-x will do just fine. It's a prettier camera too! I miss the chrome highlight around the body..

11-22-2010, 02:54 AM   #9

although k-x is a good device, 160$ is not a big difference for a new system,
i were you i wait for 1-2 weeks to see 18-135 reviews to decide about standard lens.
11-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #10

I don't personally own both cams, but use a friend's K-x and recently tried a K-r.

As other threads and posters point out, IQ is not really different between the 2. If that's the only criteria, I'd go for the cheaper K-x.

Personally I'd go for the K-r, because of the other hardware improvements. The primary reason is the power source. While I believe that AA's is enough for the 'old' entry level models, video, live view and large lcd's change all that. Higher rated crv-3 and non-recharchable lithiums have been know to improve AF due to providing more power to the AF motor, and the new proprietary li battery provides just that.

I just wished they used recharchable crv-3 though, then you wouldn't need the proprietary AA adapter.