Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Does K-r fimware fix the K-x firmware design issue around Drive Mode?

I like my K-x but this particular usability issue is pretty bad. It is just bad design of the K-x firmware that two different controls such as Drive Mode and Shooting Mode are combined to be a "Drive Mode" setting and therefore Self-Timer drive or Remote Control drive (i.e. how shots are triggered) are considered mutually exclusive with the type of shooting (single vs. continuous vs. bracketed shooting).

This leads to problems like not being able to do exposure bracketing initiated with the self-timer or remote control and requires my hand on the body to make such shots.

Also probably related to this design, one can not trigger HDR mode shooting with the self-timer and this can only be done manually by pressing the shutter release or using the Remote Control unit.

I wonder if the K-r firmware improves this design and allows more flexibility in this area?

Thx,
ertan.

Last edited by etoprakb; 11-22-2010 at 12:48 AM.
11-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can certainly set up the camera to take a HDR Auto shot with remote firing enabled. I don't have a remote with me, but the camera LCD screen shows HDR Auto, and the red light (IR remote sensor) is blinking ready to accept the remote signal.

So, it should work.
11-22-2010, 12:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
You can certainly set up the camera to take a HDR Auto shot with remote firing enabled.
What I am saying is that (HDR with remote control firing) scenario works, but HDR shot triggered with self-timer is not allowed on K-x. Is that possible with K-r?

Also, the bigger issue about Drive Mode (as I tried to explain in my first post) . Is it any different in K-r?
11-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by etoprakb Quote

Probably related to this design, one can not trigger HDR mode shooting with the self-timer and this can only be done manually by pressing the shutter release or using the Remote Control unit.

I wonder if the K-r firmware improves this design and allows more flexibility in this area?
Sorry etoprakb, I don't have a K-r, grab a manual for it from here and check.
Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service : PENTAX

You can certainly set up the camera to take a HDR Auto shot with remote firing enabled. I don't have a remote with me, but the camera LCD screen shows HDR Auto, and the red light (IR remote sensor) is blinking ready to accept the remote signal.

So, it should work.
On instant shot yes. But the O.P wants remote activated 3 second timer release which K-x will not permit.

It's a fair request too, to evade mirror slap vibration.

.R.

11-22-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remote activated 3 second timer doing a HDR exposure works fine on the K-r
11-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wonderful news. Thanks. At least that's some progress they made.

Can you pls say if drive mode Remote 3 second delay AND Wireless Flash can be enabled to work together in K-r?

Also in K-r, can Wireless Flash be enabled when a connected lens aperture is NOT set to "A" position?
(applies to lenses with manual aperture ring)

TIA.

.R.
11-22-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Can you pls say if drive mode Remote 3 second delay AND Wireless Flash can be enabled to work together in K-r?

No, it's greyed-out and not selectable, and the same for the K-5 as well.

It can be selected in remote activation without the 3 second delay
It can be selected in self timer 2 second or 12 second delay mode.

Wireless flash is greyed out for Pentax-M or SMC Pentax (K) lenses, or for Pentax-A lenses when "A" is not selected. Probably same for M42 lenses but I can't verify this.

I'm sure you could overcome this limitation by buying an equivalent wireless master / slave thingy.

Hope this helped.

11-22-2010, 02:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Wonderful news. Thanks. At least that's some progress they made.
Thats indeed good news. Actually, I did not even realize that Remote Control 3-sec delay was not available for HDR mode in K-x but I just checked and it is not selectable so K-r firmware seems to improve that. That is neat.

My issue with HDR mode was simply about regular self-timer (initiated with shutter release button) not being available on K-x.

I went thru the relevant sections of the K-r manual from the above link and did not find any explicit or implied info that behavior is different from K-x. So, as of now I have to assume that it is same as K-x (except the Remote Control 3-sec delay improvement).

I also looked for an answer in the K-r manual for my more general question about the Drive Mode behavior but did not find anything that tells me it works different from K-x, so I am assuming it still same as K-x, unless some K-r owner confirms otherwise.

Thx,
ertan.
11-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

No, it's greyed-out and not selectable, and the same for the K-5 as well.

It can be selected in remote activation without the 3 second delay
It can be selected in self timer 2 second or 12 second delay mode.

Wireless flash is greyed out for Pentax-M or SMC Pentax (K) lenses, or for Pentax-A lenses when "A" is not selected. Probably same for M42 lenses but I can't verify this.

I'm sure you could overcome this limitation by buying an equivalent wireless master / slave thingy.

Hope this helped.
Excellent thanks for the clarifications. Bit scary that even K-5 can't do it though, even for 1,600 bucks!?
So maybe it's not an easy 'just firmware' tweak - a serious h/w constraint instead?

I guess Pentax is doing the 3 steps forward, 2 steps back method of progress with many of these small, but very useful, features.

What annoys me is that Online Review sites never seem to test and expose these little things either. A lot of us rely of them to provide info on capabilities that mfgrs don't, for our purchase decisions.

.R.
11-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Thanks for that clarification...

If I prefer to combine my own images... (as opposed to letting the camera do so,) my question becomes:

Can I set auto bracketing (NOT HDR) and trigger the shots with a remote each to be fired on the 3 second timer (for mirror up)?

An added bonus would be if all of the bracketed shots could be taken with one press of the shutter/remote on the three second timer as with the K20D... (not as good for vibration control, but great at getting very, very fast sequence in situations where that is helpful).

Edit: From the manual it looks as if bracketing is a setting on its own and cannot be combined use of a remote or the three second timer. Lucky I've gotten really good at hand-held brackets... my K-r is on its way.

Many thanks...

woof!

Last edited by woof; 11-23-2010 at 09:22 AM.
11-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #11

Original Poster
Does anyone know if this is different in K-5?
11-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Inactive Account

My K-r arrived.

When a bracket is set there is no way to trigger it using a remote that I can see.

Bracketing is a drive mode unto itself and separate from remote or self timer operation. Also no way to trigger the bracket with a single press of the shutter button.

This situation is not ideal really, but I do take quite a few hand-held brackets in places where tripods are not allowed; if a tripod is allowed, I am going to be shooting at ISO 100 with a different camera anyway. So this does expand my bag of tricks.

On the positive side, the thing pounds out three shots right quick, minimizing the chance for shake, and it actually seems to stop after the third frame, so no over-running the bracket as you can do with the K10D/K20D and I suspect others...

Last edited by woof; 11-24-2010 at 06:33 AM.
11-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the K-5 has a drive mode where the 2-sec delay is activated by the remote triggering.
11-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hope this helped.
Or you can do this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/83348-p-through...al-lenses.html
12-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #15

So after reading through all of these posts. I still don't see any solution to the problem that is not being able to use the remote when bracketing. Is there any word of a firmware update that could solve the issue? Any word if Pentax is aware of this issue?