Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Two defective K-rs in a row? For real?

Ok, this is just getting ridiculous now...I ordered a K-r got it, it worked great for a couple of days, then a button fell off (the lens change button), sent it back, got a new replacement sent to me.

JUST got it today, opened the box, charged the battery, put my tamron 17-50 on and no ability to adjust shutter or aperture, they sit at one number and then go to "99999" when you try to adjust, cannot take any photos, in live view mode, screen is staticky black, the sometimes it just freezes and you have to pull the battery, all adjustments seem to go slow. No AF points indicated.

I tried two different lenses that worked with the first k-r, tamron 17-50 and 90mm. I tried recharging the battery, I tried resetting everything to factory settings every where I could....NO CHANGE

WTF!!!!!! FOR REAL!??! Two in a row defective?? I just cannot fathom this...........

I am seriously thinking about selling my lenses and ditching pentax. I will be buying from a different supplier at a minimum...

I made the original preorder back in September got the first k-r in early November and played with it for maybe a few hours, sent it back, sooo excited to get the replacement today. NOW THIS BS!

11-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Where did you buy them from? It sounds like somewhere i'd avoid, unless they have a solid rep otherwise..................
11-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Stay calm. I had worse experience than yours and still use Pentax.
11-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe yours were some of the first to come off the assembly line? The defective K-5 we got had a really low serial number, as visible in the serial number database.

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

11-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Maybe yours were some of the first to come off the assembly line? The defective K-5 we got had a really low serial number, as visible in the serial number database.

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
Im sure they came off the line right after the friday beer lunch!

this one is 3805074175282
11-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #6

I feel your pain because my k-r have a flaw too, nothing important, but still exist.
Anyway, when i brought it i knew this could happen, usually first batch have some flaws, but i needed the camera and i must say im happy with it
11-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
WTF!!!!!! FOR REAL!??! Two in a row defective?? I just cannot fathom this...........
That sucks. Get a third one. Third time's the charm, or so they say.

Good luck.
11-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
Banned

Ok, this is just getting ridiculous now...I ordered a K-r got it, it worked great for a couple of days, then a button fell off (the lens change button), sent it back, got a new replacement sent to me.

JUST got it today, opened the box, charged the battery, put my tamron 17-50 on and no ability to adjust shutter or aperture, they sit at one number and then go to "99999" when you try to adjust, cannot take any photos, in live view mode, screen is staticky black, the sometimes it just freezes and you have to pull the battery, all adjustments seem to go slow. No AF points indicated.

I tried two different lenses that worked with the first k-r, tamron 17-50 and 90mm. I tried recharging the battery, I tried resetting everything to factory settings every where I could....NO CHANGE

I am seriously thinking about selling my lenses and ditching pentax. I will be buying from a different supplier at a minimum...

I made the original preorder back in September got the first k-r in early November and played with it for maybe a few hours, sent it back, sooo excited to get the replacement today. NOW THIS BS!

can and has happened with canon and nikon. thats the price of mass manufacture and the level of quality control that is economically feasible to a company. also, as an early adopter you always take that risk. im sorry about your hard time, but ‘ditching’ because your early adoption didn’t go as smoothly as you had planned is a bit childish in all honesty. but whatever floats your boat mate. =)

11-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Ok,

Bad luck. If you really want a Kr, then do another exchange. Odd are that this won't happen again.
11-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Im seeing if i can get a replacement direct from Pentax, head office is nearby. I have already mailed the unit back to the seller, he is just as stunned and is trying to help out by facilitating a new 100% working copy direct from Pentax or a refund.

I am very aware of the perils of first gen/first run products, I have had defective dslrs before, which is why I was quite calm about the first bad k-r, but the second just pissed me off.

I do still want a working K-r, but cant be asked to roll the dice again, hopefully Pentax can get me a good copy..
11-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #11

Unfortunately, same here. I just received my second K-r, and this one is defective, too. The mode dial just spins, but the camera stays in "M" mode. That's the mode I use most often, but I don't want to be limited to nothing else. Well, time is getting short on the RMA, so I guess I'll just return this one for a refund and stick with my Canons. They're not flashy, but at least they are reliable. No sense believing that the third K-r will be any better.
11-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slpslee Quote
Unfortunately, same here. I just received my second K-r, and this one is defective, too. The mode dial just spins, but the camera stays in "M" mode. That's the mode I use most often, but I don't want to be limited to nothing else. Well, time is getting short on the RMA, so I guess I'll just return this one for a refund and stick with my Canons. They're not flashy, but at least they are reliable. No sense believing that the third K-r will be any better.
Obviously quality control is lacking with this amount of defects, especially one after the other for numerous customers. Not a good sign
11-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Obviously quality control is lacking with this amount of defects, especially one after the other for numerous customers. Not a good sign
Deimos I feel your pain. Were I in the same position, I would, maybe, drop Pentax. However, you won't get the same backward lens compatibility or in camera SR (other than Sony). Stick with it and it WILL work out. I have had great luck with Pentax and you will too.

I must say that I am sorry. As a Pentax fan I would quote "third time is a charm," but I shouldn't have to.

They should get their S#$% in one sock and make it right from the git-go. I work in an electronics production company and we place our reputation on our product. We NEVER place quantity over quality. Maybe Pentax should follow some TQL and TQM. It's not like W. Edwards Deming went over to post war Japan and told them to screw things up.

Bummer about your camera ('s) but all-in-all I will stand behind Pentax.
11-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I purchased a K-r for my wife and used it for the first time last night. The flash will pop up but it won't fire (which also prevents the shutter from firing). I can set the flash to manual, but having a camera with a broken flash I'm presuming I'll need to send it back.

Now I have noticed a second problem. It focuses fine when using live view, but there are problems when using the camera via the viewfinder. I checked the diopter and do understand that LV uses the sensor directly, where focusing via the viewfinder does not. I can see that what the AF Locks onto is actually out of focus in the viewfinder and can manualy correct it by shutting off AF and manually focusing the lens.

I had thought I could just correct it via AF fine tuning, but there is some randomness to AF. If I can figure out the flash issue, I'll put it on a tripod and take some tests shots. This is the first time I've had a problem with anything from Pentax....
11-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

yikes, bad luck

however i have seen far worse in my days in consumer electronics and over the years i have had at this point 9 pentax cameras and haven't had any failures at all, though my k10d was bought as a refurb so i am aware they exist. as mentioned before this is a peril of mass production. I've seen numerous model defects in all brands in the 25 years i spent in the industry including some very respected very expensive high end brands. just look at the leic digitals they have had numerous issues on the m8, and some with the m9. this is not a camera the dealer could just exchange in most cases either as they are like hen's teeth. I hop the third time is indeed a charm for you.