Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the K-R, K-5 and the K100d and I've noticed that the shutter noise is the loudest on the K-R it sound's like it's going to break the camera when it take a photo, I'm not sure about the K-X but so far that is the worst thing I've noticed. I think it takes just as good of pictures as the K-5 but I think if I had it to do over again I'd have got the K-X for half the price of the K-R.

11-27-2010, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I have the K-R, K-5 and the K100d and I've noticed that the shutter noise is the loudest on the K-R it sound's like it's going to break the camera when it take a photo...
So far the noisy shutter is the only 'problem' I've found with the camera after the first month. I moved back to Pentax from a Fuji compact and when I first pressed the shutter it was so loud (relatively) I actually jumped!

Obviously having the camera close to my ear it's going to sound its loudest, and whether it is as noticeable to people standing nearby I'm yet to establish!

Still, I bought the camera because this will be my first DSLR after 25 years of compacts and bridge models and I wanted the best bang for the bucks. The K-r has great specs for a ridiculously low cost. For me as an effective newbie it will let me experiment, practice and learn; so features count as much as image quality.

Once I feel confident in my skills I might decide I need a new body... and might even go 'upmarket' to the big two, but right now I'm happy I made the right decision.
11-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I can see 2 sides of the story.

Pentax has IS built in the body = making all lens attach to it have IS... that's a great big bonus. HOWEVER, older lens (the K/M version) doesn't have auto aperture OR focus, this makes it real annoying to shoot in alot of different situation, so let say you have an all purpose lens that you like to be on the camera 90% of the time, it has to be one of the newer ones (with AF and aperture), the cost of that lens will be really really close to those of cannon/nikon.

What you save money is from lens that's doing special job (like macro/portrait lens), this is where you don't absolutely need AF or aperture to shoot (it's nice to have here but not a deal breaker if you don't), and you can save alot of money here (50mm f/1.4 manual = 80-100, the new auto version = 350+ or atleast 300 used).

Where canon, nikon saves money is in sales, they're high volume seller that usually have deals. Like this BF, I saw deals for canon T2i, the body + 2 lens for 800. The K-R single kit = 700 and 2 lens kit is 900. Loosing out 100 upfront.

So it really is up to the buyer and see what they like to do. Most people aren't lens collector, you don't need 20 difference lens, maybe 1X good all purpose zoom, 1 prime macro and 1 prime portrait and they're done. That 100 can be put toward other lens.

I personally would go with pentax... I think it's cheaper in the long run, it might be harder to score a deal on pentax initially but I think deals can be have out there.
11-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #19
Forum Member

Interesting comments on the shutter noise. Can't say I've found it that loud myself though obviously louder than the fake shutter noise of my previous super-zoom. I've also wondered whether others notice the noise and have looked out for any reaction when taking pictures of musicians, etc., but no one has made a comment yet, so I assume it's not too bad.

At least we don't have the sound of the motor drive as in the 'old' days!

11-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

To me it seems that the k-x shutter (& mirror) noise is about par with film SLRs as I remember them: you certainly cannot take a photo in a silent setting without others noticing, but in general this is not a problem. (I would assume the k-r is the same in this regard.)
11-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #21

Original Poster
What would my best option be for a walkabout lens to complement the 18-55 kit lens? Roughly something in the 18-200 size. The new 18-135 lens looks great but is expensive.
11-28-2010, 02:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AstraNine Quote
What would my best option be for a walkabout lens to complement the 18-55 kit lens? Roughly something in the 18-200 size. The new 18-135 lens looks great but is expensive.
How about the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 for something faster (= good for low light such as indoors) and a useful overlap with the kit 18-55 & 55-300? There is a Tamron 18-200 which is affordable and decent I understand; superzooms are always somewhat of a compromise IQ-wise, the 18-200 would seem like a nice travel/convenience piece though. The Pentax/Tamron 18-250 should be the ultimate in this category, but is not available new. OTOH, getting that second hand would be economical too (~US$ 400?).

11-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
How about the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 for something faster (= good for low light such as indoors) and a useful overlap with the kit 18-55 & 55-300? There is a Tamron 18-200 which is affordable and decent I understand; superzooms are always somewhat of a compromise IQ-wise, the 18-200 would seem like a nice travel/convenience piece though. The Pentax/Tamron 18-250 should be the ultimate in this category, but is not available new. OTOH, getting that second hand would be economical too (~US$ 400?).
the tampron 28-75 is HOT, costs about 300 bucks, that's a legendary all purpose lens... keeping aperture nice is big across the zoom, I heard the IQ is pretty good too. For the casual user, I honestly think that along with a nice fast (f/1.4) 50mm, and 1 long zoom (the kit lens 55-300), would make it very nice for almost all situation... oh and maybe a macro too lol.
11-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
I can see 2 sides of the story.

Where canon, nikon saves money is in sales, they're high volume seller that usually have deals. Like this BF, I saw deals for canon T2i, the body + 2 lens for 800. The K-R single kit = 700 and 2 lens kit is 900. Loosing out 100 upfront.
One of the major on-line retailers has the K-r 2 lens kit (18-55 & 55-300) for $750 with free shipping.
12-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #25

Original Poster
Thanks for info but Im based in the UK. Cannot seem to find the K-r 2 lens kit 18-55 & 55-300 anywhere. Unless someone knows different of course!
12-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sew-Classic Quote
One of the major on-line retailers has the K-r 2 lens kit (18-55 & 55-300) for $750 with free shipping.

that amazon deal popped up really late... if you compare the deals they had on canon/nikon, the pentax deal is like a grain of sand in the ocean. And to be fair, most retail store do not carry pentax. so deals there are eliminated. You can only go to online retailer. B&H, adorama, amazon.
12-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I have the K-R, K-5 and the K100d and I've noticed that the shutter noise is the loudest on the K-R it sound's like it's going to break the camera when it take a photo, I'm not sure about the K-X but so far that is the worst thing I've noticed. I think it takes just as good of pictures as the K-5 but I think if I had it to do over again I'd have got the K-X for half the price of the K-R.
The K-x was quite similar if I recall correctly.

Yesterday I spent the day with the K-r. Last night I set up the K20D for shooting today, and was gently rocked by just how much less noise the shutter makes on that camera.

woof!
12-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Had my k-r out in the dark last night at a christmas fair. -15 degrees celsius and 1600 ISO. Pictures turned out fantastic, 1600 ISO is amazing, no issues from the cold other than some battery drain and near frostbite through my gloves
12-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by djb21au Quote
Interesting comments on the shutter noise. Can't say I've found it that loud myself though obviously louder than the fake shutter noise of my previous super-zoom. I've also wondered whether others notice the noise and have looked out for any reaction when taking pictures of musicians, etc., but no one has made a comment yet, so I assume it's not too bad.

At least we don't have the sound of the motor drive as in the 'old' days!
Yes, K-r is louder if you compare it to more expensive cameras. The point is K-r is built to deliver, therefore little effort went to "sound tuning" and so on. If it is too loud for you, you will have to buy a more expensive camera with more sophisticated mirror flap mechanism and some sound damping in the body. K-r is a simple machine.

Concerning music, you simply have to shoot in tune with the drum section. If you cant't find the rhythm you better dont't shoot musicians.

cheers,
d
12-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Had my k-r out in the dark last night at a christmas fair. -15 degrees celsius and 1600 ISO. Pictures turned out fantastic, 1600 ISO is amazing, no issues from the cold other than some battery drain and near frostbite through my gloves
NiMHs (Eneloops?) I presume?