Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 03:56 AM   #1

Why not a Pentax K-r?

My plan is to purchase a new K-r, this will be my first DSLR. Not my first SLR as used to own an old Canon SLR and a long time P&S user. Several friends have expressed surprise that I would even consider buying other than Canon or Nikon, the two big names in the DSLR market. For me the main reason is lower price & better specification. So why did you go Pentax K-r?

11-24-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstraNine Quote
My plan is to purchase a new K-r, this will be my first DSLR. Not my first SLR as used to own an old Canon SLR and a long time P&S user. Several friends have expressed surprise that I would even consider buying other than Canon or Nikon, the two big names in the DSLR market. For me the main reason is lower price & better specification. So why did you go Pentax K-r?
I don't own a K-r and won't. However, after 4 years of Pentax ownership I would ask the people pushing CaNikon if they can put the vintage lenses on their cameras and have every single one stabilized. That is the number one reason I chose Pentax to begin with.. With the exception of the 110 lenses, every single lens in this database can be placed on your K-r (some do require adapters)..

Comprehensive Pentax Lens Listings - Pentax Lens Review Database

and btw, when you see your CaNikon friends showing up with our M42 mount Takumars, tell them to Lay OFF!

Enjoy your new camera and forget about what anyone else thinks of it. You are now part of the crowd of people who know how to think for themselves.

11-24-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I actually went for a k-x, but since the k-r is an improved version thereof I suppose the key points of that choice would apply: this simply seemed like the best value in the price class with the high ISO quality and availabilty of old, cheap quality lenses being very appealing to me. I haven't been let down either, the more I get into this, the more I'm liking my choice (to no small part thanks to this forum :-)
11-24-2010, 05:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The most likely reason that your friends are trying to urge you their way is because they are simply being friends. That's what good friends do.
They likely have been there, done that, got the T-shirt and want to share the benefits of their decision experiences with you, their good friend that they care about. Even if they might not be able to readily communicate all that they know, they likely care and are sincere at heart and mind in their intent.

Remember that buying a DSLR is mostly about buying into a platform, the totality, caveats and limitations of what the given platform offers you long term.
And if you have good friends into similar, then all the better, knowledge and even accessories can readily be shared, for one.
But there are many many other reasons and benefits why its prudent to park your hard earned money for one or the other, all of them very pertinent and tangible.

A path to the most expansibility is very important to me for instance, and that eg. is why my next DLSR will not be Pentax.

Otoh, I can fully understand the people whose photographic interests fit comfortably, or can be moulded into, the more specific and limited range of accessories, lenses, etc., readily available for Pentax - it certainly has its niche where it equals and maybe even excels in some areas.

In this respect though, many Pentax diehards really annoy me how they'll immediately spout the Ifs Ands Buts and Maybes that you typically hear from eg. the alternate computer OS/platform dorks: "But but you can always write or modify your own software" (double duh!), and all that crap that only comes from the insecurity-complex driven alternate-by-their-choice minorities.
Sorry for them, but real life doesn't tend to work that way.

Initial [low] cost can be a trap too, sometimes it best to pay a slightly higher entry fare for your ticket, else be savaged more down the track. And likewise impressive-numbers specifications especially.
We all know that it's usually only a matter of months before most new you-beaut models from any mfgr is knocked off its perch.
In fact if Pentax were the killer DSLR camera regarding best and most varied pictures (what it's all about, after all) then surely the masses would have drifted its way long ago.
Contrary to what many brand-apologists like to espouse on their soapboxes; (other) people are not stupid!
That doesn't imply that Brand Most-Popular is automatically best either. Nuffint's perfect where humans have a finger in making it.

There are safe, comfortable, familiar routes, and there are other routes, often more self-help and/or can be expensive or demanding ongoing - to each their own and ne'er the twain shall meet.

All cameras these days are very good and can take fantastic pix, we simply need to stop being brand focused and just collectively help and enjoy ourselves doing our preferred thing.
Do you know what your "preferred" branches and interests of photography will be, not just in the year or two, but several years ahead - maybe even a lifetime?

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-24-2010 at 06:28 AM.
11-24-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Because a company (let's call it Canikon) puts a lot of budget in marketing doesn't change the facts that Pentax has been one of the leading brands in the world for many decades, has innovated more than any other brand, currently offers the best bodies at any consumer level, has the best line of pro primes around, offers image stabilisation in the body so every lens is stabilised, allows you to use any lens made for Pentax since the beginning of time, has consumer sealed lenses and bodies, has the best and frienliest community on the web, and is inexpensive when you factor in the price of bodies and lenses.

Go with what you think is the best camera for you and don't bother about brand recognition. When you'll meet a Pentax user you'll be able to smile to him/her smugly, knowing you made a clever choice by using your head instead of being pressured by your TV.
11-24-2010, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

I also own a K-x - for about 6 months now. The forum is a wonderful resource, but ultimately you have to make your own mind. My .02: it's difficult to know where your interests will lead you, unless you have had substantial experience with photography. If you plan to just use the kit lens, or buy an all-around travel lens and do just casual photography, any of the modern cameras would do fine. In fact, in that scenario, I might consider Nikon/Canon over Pentax: the advantage of being able to use older lenses is a non-issues, and some lenses (18-250/270) are almost impossible to find on a K-mount. If, however, you see yourself buying a few more lenses, some primes, faster zooms etc, the choice may be different. Pentax has wonderful prime lenses (including the new DA 35 2.4 which just came in the mail yesterday!) that are reasonably priced. SOme specialized zooms you have to find in other brands (Tamron/sigma) - availability is usually not an issue. If you plan to do action/sports photography, it is probably better to go with Canon/Nikon as their AF is better than Pentax (although the K-5 and perhaps the K-r are supposed to be significantly improved). Finally, IMHO, if you haven't had much experience with manual focus lenses (I haven't), the appeal of an AF lens is great...so you may never get to use any of the old Pentax lenses.
11-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #7
Inactive Account

i also own a kr for abt 3 weeks and this is my 1st dslr.

in fact, my original first choose is eos 550d then sony A55...but in the end i pciked the kr which is value for money + good iso performance which other big names are not able to compete at the same pricing.

my friends also suprise when i showed they the picture which i took in iso 3200....really a good camera.
11-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I've owned Canon, Nikon and Pentax cameras over the years. All were good cameras, I've been a Pentax shooter since the beginning (1973 for me) and will continue to be. In the price class you are looking at I think the kr is the best camera, but if you think you will be shooting sports and high speed action Pentax is not the best choice. However I really can't think of another branch where it is not an excellent choice (caveat being street photography where a rangefinder is truly the classic choice, but not many of us have $10000 to spare for an M9 with a nice 35MM lens)
It would be nice to be able to share equipment with friends occasionally but when I look at what I've spent versus what some friends using Canon and Nikon have spent I realise that the difference would have bought me a full set of limiteds to go with my cameras
So assess what you want to do and where you're budget is and that will help you decide. If you collect M42 lenses at some point they can travel to the other brands should you choose to switch and any other lens you buy is likely to hold it's value pretty well based on the last few years price trends so if you decide to change it's not hard to get rid of what you've collected (bear in mind Bodies are pretty much disposable in any brand they devalue rapidly and you'll recoup little from any model compared to your lenses)

11-24-2010, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

For me the main reason is lower price & better specification. So why did you go Pentax K-r?
I dont have the kr but own the older k2000 and just got the k5.

When I bought the k2000, it was my first DSLR, I used to own a film one which I rarely used. I had a pretty large Sony P/S [large by P/S standards] which I used all the time. When I was thinking of buying a DSLR my first thought was that I would not use it unless it was small and light. Pentax happened to have the smallest one and when you put on a DA limited prime lens [the DA 70mm is superb] it was about the size of my Sony P/S. I have had only good experiences with Pentax since and this is a good forum to be part of and to take part in challenges etc. The other issue is what will happen if your needs change? Maybe you will get interested in high speed sports and other brands maybe better suited to that branch of photography. Well, the short answer is that you cannot anticipate all your needs. Even though I like small and light, for shooting my kids playing, that would not work. But I have the DA 50-135 which was plenty fine for me for that situation. My friend has a sigma 70-200 but I have never borrowed it because that was too big to carry around. Again, what worked for me would not work for others.

Fanboys there are in all types of owners. Pentax being the underdog will generate a certain kind of defensive attitude when you pose a question like you did. But at the end of the day, with modern DSLR's for the amateur and the semi-professional the brand may not matter that much.

However you were very clear as to your needs: 'lower price and better specification'. Pentax will meet these needs. But look clearly at what the better specifications are. Will you use them? If not, Canon or Nikon will be fine too.
11-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
Image quality is of prime significance to me. The better quality screen is important to me as is the ability to shoot 6FPS continuous. My dog is impossible to shoot with a P&S, she just will not stay still! As for lenses well its doubtful my needs at present will run past the 18-55 and the 55-300. My conclusion is that its likely I will be unhappy with say a Nikon 3100 past six months. So an intermediate model like the K-r would be best.
11-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter

For shooting pets:
use higher iso and a fast shutter speed and use the continuous shooting mode. Check out the available web resources on pet photography for ideas:
How to Take Pictures of Pets | Techniques | Photography.com

A google search will give you plenty of other web resources.

Good luck and have fun with whatever brand you choose.
11-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #12
Forum Member

im using k-r till a month or so. all i can say, its very capable camera for an ameteur like me. shooting candits, or taking couple of friends photos while the light isnt enf.
i ve used k100ds and k10d with bunch of pentax lenses, when the light is good they were good :] but when u jump to iso 800 they were getting noisy. now im using k-r, i ve never experienced slow focus, focus hunting, high noise, wrong auto wb. so all in all they improved till k-r alot, and if u choose pentax u will be happy if u r gonna use primes
theres no good lightweight zoom xD dunno, if u like to use big lenses k-r 's handling will be unbalanced due to small sized body
about nikon, i ve used d5000 and i can say it was so bad with 18-105 and cheap 50 mm 35mm lenses. i got better sharpness and colour rendering with k10d, so idont suggest u to go for nikon if u arent buying prosumer cameras n lenses. same thing goes for canon too, no L series lens no fun
11-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #13
Forum Member

I'm like you, AstraNine: ex Canon film SLR user, first time DSLR buyer. I went with K-r because I wanted in-camera stabilisation (simplicity and more glass per dollar), good specs with plenty of room to move (especially in low light), ability to handle RAW (6fps is outstanding for the price), SD cards, not over-the-top file size and, of course, value. At the price, K-r also offers a higher res LCD at the moment.

On top of all that, while the coloured ones might look like toys, the K-r is a proper SLR. When I looked at entry level CaNikons, they seem to overplay the 'P&S features in a DSLR' angle, with guided tours, etc.

What I've discovered after the fact is the wonderful Pentax online community.
11-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all your helpful comments. For me the K-r is the one, the only shame is it doesn't seem to be available as a kit with the new 18-135mm lens.
11-25-2010, 04:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for all your helpful comments. For me the K-r is the one, the only shame is it doesn't seem to be available as a kit with the new 18-135mm lens.
That would put it well above the sensitive USD1,000 level that the typical market sector for K-r are reluctant to pay.

Obvious rationale being that one can get 18-300 coverage for far less (and, very decent qlty lenses too!)
Also critics would contend that WR is wasted on a K-r anyway, so I wouldn't hold my breath for much support from the elitists.

So maybe you should probably be hoping (like I am) that Pentax release 18-135 in a non-WR (+ usual basic DA-L downsized featureset) model, which might then allow the combo to be a market viable option kitted.

Perhaps a good example of this is the K-r + new 35mm prime kit. Even though the lens is considered low cost/good value (esp by the pixel-peepers), the bundle as hyped by Pentax initially appears to be receiving lacklustre demand~interest in that segment.

And in fact the 35 lens alone is getting far more eyeball and sales attention from existing and esp. Pro body accumulator/owners -- much like the 18-135 is.

Golden Rule is that K-r buyers are, by definition, seeking value in the first place. And those like yourself who want to veer from what the majority want always have those options available anyway. No other mfgr "default kits" (bundle discounts) expensive lenses at the bottom end either.

Life sure ain't made easy.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-25-2010 at 04:57 AM.