Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

new someones help on first purchase

Hi Im a new member to this forum and need some expert advise. It`s about which stabilization method is best, built into the body like Pentax does or image stabilization built into the lens like Nikon and Canon... Whats the pros and cons of both.. I have googled and read many argument on this topic and all it does is just muddies the water per say for a newbie like me... I get the pro of Pentax having the image stabilizer in the body meaning all and any lens used for Pentax will be stabilized thru the body unlike Nikon and Canon which not all their lens have image stabilizer on them.. con!!!! Pro for lens image stabilizer is if that function fails in the lens then your just out a lens but the camera body still works, not so if its a Pentax, if stabilization fails in the body then you have to replace the camera body. $$$$$$ Con...... I don`t now if this problem exist or even if it happens that often. Also there`s the fact that when your looking thru the LCD live view on a Canon or Nikon camera, live view if Im understanding this right, it would be stable the hole time unlike a Pentax live view beings the stabilization does react until the shutter open. So correct me if Im wrong, would this make it harder in manual mode to make your proper setting while viewing a object on the live view screen on the Pentax vs the Nikon and Canon camera`s???? I `m 99% sold on a Pentax K-X vs. the Nikon D3000 or the Canon Rebel XS. being for a entry level SLR the Pentax by far in my opinion is a superior camera to the for mentioned Canon Rebel XS or the Nikon D3000 especially being their in the same price range, $500-$600 Im just confused on which stabilization method is best to have.. I don`t wanna make the wrong choice... thanks you for any and all advise.. david

11-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You have done your research and cover pretty much every pros & cons. I have owned 40D & K-m. For teles, the Canon IS is more effective as the focal length gets higher. Stabilized viewfinder is a big plus too with 200mm upward. However, which system to purchase depends much on what lenses and accessories you are going to buy. Personally, I favour 18-135mm instead of 2 zooms kit if budget allows.
11-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have never heard anyone talking about their SR breaking.

Although having the image stabilized in the viewfinder is nice on the eyes, I sort of like to know how steady my techniques is, and I can't tell if the image is not moving :-)
11-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harleyrider Quote
Also there`s the fact that when your looking thru the LCD live view on a Canon or Nikon camera, live view if Im understanding this right, it would be stable the hole time unlike a Pentax live view beings the stabilization does react until the shutter open.
Actually stabilization works in LV with Pentax too, it just doesn't work with the optical viewfinder (reason for this being that it is sensor that is moved and in LV you get the image from the sensor). Various reviews seem to rate OS systems about 1 stop better, but then the ones I've read have hardly been scientific about it. At any rate, the Pentax in-body stabilization works, and my experience would suggest an advantge two stops (or a bit more) from wide to short tele (I don't have much earlier experience to compare with with longer focal lengths). It might be that the more popular brands have also considered the sales benefit that would result from giving a definite advantage to buying new lenses ;-)

11-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast replies everyone. I guess Im moving in the right direction, tying to make the right choices with which DSLR TO PURCHASE. I really like the Pentax K-X Camera alot, price is very affordable, Now I guess I need to research lens next to determine what len I would like to get in addition to the 18-55mm kit lens that comes with the K-X.
Keep in mind this will be my first DSLR, So which len would you or should I have in my bag to compliment the 18-55mm for best all around photograghy? Thanks,David
11-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The k-x can be had as a double kit with the DA L 55-300mm which seems to enjoy a good reputation here so that is worth considering. This is an economy version of the DA 55-300 - no lens hood, plastic mount and no quick shift for instant access manual focus - but it is optically the same and quite a bit cheaper with the kit. With the regular kit lens (which is pretty decent) this would give you a generous total focal range to start with. Combining the DA(L) 55-300 with a Raynox 150 add-on would be option for an inexpensive macro kit. This doesn't match a dedicated macro lens, of course, but is respectable for the price (~50 $).

Last edited by jolepp; 11-25-2010 at 04:46 PM.
11-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 on 55-300 - the best value telephoto zoom you can get in its class.

11-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
+1 on 55-300 - the best value telephoto zoom you can get in its class.
No doubt.
11-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #9

Another lens you may wish to consider is the new 35/2.4. It is not available in a kit with the k-x, unfortunately, but it is inexpensive with a high image quality and a "normal" field of view. While not extremely wide in aperture, it nonetheless lets in over twice the light of the kit lens and is therefore attractive for low-light photography. Mostly, though, it would be a way to get started with prime lenses: small, high-quality primes are one of the strongest features of the Pentax system.