Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

Where to buy K-R, Black Friday?

Hi, Looking to pick up a k-r + 18-55 + 55-300mm lens combo and wondering if there are any recommendations for retailer (in case of return needed due to defect) and any deals after Thanksgiving anyone is aware of? (First Pentax buy since using my dad's passed down spotmatic from the 60's.) I don't want the experience of the guys in the forum that had a couple defects in a row, but of course want to pay as little as possible. Thanks-

11-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is highly unlikely that you will have any problems with any of the PF retail partners.
The majority of my on-line purchases have been from B&H and there have never been any negative experiences. They are my personal preference, but don't take that to mean that I don't trust the others as well. I would suggest sticking with our partners, but which one is your choice. They are all reputable, honest merchants.
11-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BH price is pretty hot today &899 with both lenses free shipping
Abes is 879.95 but charge shipping i believe
Adorama is 899

I'd go BH myself if i was to buy and lived in the US (it's not much less than i can get it for in canada so not worth it for me)
11-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Parallax, where can I find a list of the retail partners? I cannot find it anywhere here...

As for BH Photo, they are pretty good, as well as their SageMax warranty (which covers accidental damage too).

11-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

main page of the forum most of the way down
bh and adorama are the preferred as they support the forum (any of adams posts have it in his signature as well just click through
11-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll put in a word for Adorama, not because B&H isn't super, I'm sure it is, but because I've had consistently excellent experience with Adorama. (There is a discussion at Steve Huff's blog of on line retailers that may be of interest: Where to buy your camera gear online..and where NOT to.. | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
11-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
I'll put in a word for Adorama, not because B&H isn't super, I'm sure it is, but because I've had consistently excellent experience with Adorama.
I'd go for Adorama as well because I could count on Helen Oster for excellent customer support.

I followed the link to Huff's blog with interest but he basically just tells you which stores support his site. He wouldn't be critical of them, would he? Other stores don't get mentioned, even those to avoid are just described not named.

11-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Where is a good place to buy this or the KX in Canada. The prices look so much better south of the border, but then I get dinged shiping and brokerage fees, so its not worth it for me.
11-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snoryder Quote
Where is a good place to buy this or the KX in Canada. The prices look so much better south of the border, but then I get dinged shiping and brokerage fees, so its not worth it for me.
BBH has fixed the issue with shipping it shouldn't cost a bomb (purolator the first option) it should come in without any additional charges according to bh they even pay the HST or pst/GST.
that being said if you want it now henrys is $100 more and you could walk out with it if you shop in store (and likely beat them down a bit for cash deal)
11-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Aden doesn't have it on their website but they may in store they are usually very cheap as well but may have to order it in and their after sales service isn't as good
11-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SRG01 Quote
Parallax, where can I find a list of the retail partners? I cannot find it anywhere here...

As for BH Photo, they are pretty good, as well as their SageMax warranty (which covers accidental damage too).
On the Forums Index Page in the next to the last section.
11-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Thanks Eddie, I'm in no rush, actually watching the market since it is the christmas season, so I'm hoping to score on a decent deal somewhere.
11-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I was thinking about a KR but just settled for a K7 with the wr kit lens from a forum member
the k5 was my real desire it'll have to wait a couple of years now

you might also look at dunn and rundle in vancouver they are well priced and you can probably get henrys to match the kr body is 738 until tuesday i believe, not sure what their kit price is just email them for a price + shipping and go into henrys with it
simons in montreal is apparently really good as well but they don't list much pentax on the web site (someone got a k5 for 1399, and 1829 for the 18-135wr kit)
11-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Amazon.com: Pentax K-r 12.4 MP Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 55-300mm f/3.5-5.8 Lenses (Black): Camera & Photo

K-r Black kit with 18-55 + 55-300 for $749 and eligible for Amazon Prime shipping. Also comes with these offers:
  • Save 50% on Sunpack 6600DX Tripod when you purchase 1 or more Qualifying Digital Camera offered by Amazon.com. Here's how (restrictions apply)
  • Save 25% on Davis & Sanford Switchkit 7-in-1 Tripod when you purchase 1 or more Qualifying DSLR or Point & Shoot Camera offered by Amazon.com. Here's how (restrictions apply)
  • Buy Select Cameras or Camcorders from Amazon.com and save 30% on a Lowepro Bag: Purchase this product from Amazon.com and save 30% on a Lowepro bag, simply add the qualifying items to your Shopping Cart, and we'll automatically apply the discount at checkout. Offer applies only to purchases of products sold by Amazon.com and does not apply to products sold by third-party merchants and other sellers through the Amazon.com site. Read our terms and conditions for additional restrictions. See all qualifying products and details.
  • Buy Select DSLRs, Save 15% on a Kata Camera Bag: Purchase this camera from Amazon.com and save 15% on both a Kata camera bag, simply the qualifying items to your Shopping Cart, and we'll automatically apply the discount at checkout. Offer applies only to purchases of products sold by Amazon.com and does not apply to products sold by third-party merchants and other sellers through the Amazon.com site. Read our terms and conditions for additional restrictions. See all qualifying products and details.
11-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #15
bwy

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help, I ended up buying (w/ 18-55 + 55-300) at Amazon because of the price+shipping time. Got it yesterday but was able to get a refund of the difference of the new 749 price. That's just a steal. Now I just need to learn how to use it!
Closed Thread