Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
he T2i and the Canon 50mm 1.8 would likely cover most of the things you would want to do (along with any kit lens for wider shots). I say the 50mm 1.8 for lower-light video and picture capability. It's a pretty sweet lens.

11-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
Raylon

If you want great video control and results, go with the Canon. Also don't be thrown off by what most of the people here are saying... like 'Pentax excels in still photography' and 'The K-r is a photographer's camera, not a good choice for him.' The T2i will produce extremely good results strictly as a still camera. It will produce images comparable to K-r or any other SLR on the market.
11-26-2010, 11:09 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I agree with you about the members Eagle_Friends
Tis a pity about not getting one in Storm Trooper White too:\
Maybe I'll just wait longer when prices go down and new products present themselves no?
11-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I was kinda thrown off and got more confused RaylonxD

11-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

there is a deal going on for 700 bucks (2 lens kit with the T2i)... clearly a better deal than the k-r right now.

BUT, the problem with the canon DSLR = no IS in the body... i mean wtf they've been doing? like 1/2 of their lens have no IS, wtf we suppose to do shooting without IS? lol. other wise lens like the 50mm f/1.8 is really cheap for ~100 new, the pentax version f/1.7 is like 250... I can't really say much but dam pentax, wtf is going on lol.
11-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
-isanoob-
What does IS stand forxD?
11-27-2010, 04:50 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IS is image stabilization. Nikon and Canon have made the decision to put it as an option in some of their lenses. The IS versions of their lenses are quite expensive in relation to the non-IS versions. The Canon 70-200 f4 is only 650 if purchased without IS, it is 1100 dollars if purchased with IS. This makes for some really hard decisions.

On the other hand, Pentax puts their image stabilization in the camera body, so even old primes are stabilized.

The biggest issue with video on the kr, is really the sound. If you were going to use it to record much video, I would think you would need to have a separate sound recorder and sync it up afterward. It can be done, but is pretty clumsy.

11-27-2010, 07:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please translate

QuoteOriginally posted by deathdream Quote
u shouldnt worry about af noise of lens if u are capturing vid with a pentax camera :] theres no af in movie mode, so all the way mf xD same goes for t2i aswell, if u use af u will see contrast detect systems ''advantage'' ,slower than mf :]

so if u are gonna use a dslr for video , u shouldnt pick k-r. sensors heat limits its capabilities. but if u wanna get high quality pictures aswell as short videos with lower price compared to t2i i can suggest to go for it
iso performance on k-r is amazing for me (upgraded from k10d). i can take sharp and almost noisefree photos at 3200 6400 and 12800(color noise makes images soft after pp) with some denoising with topaz denoise 5 :]

still pentax is making cameras compact n lovely. also pentax color rendetion is way more different than canikon and appealing to me. but pentax doesnt have l series glass, that high quality zooms or a ff camera if u wanna upgrade in time. on the other side pentax is inexpensive
Really, I'm seriously battling to read the above. So can you please stick to English. Makes it far easier for those of us whose native language isn't SMS. Thanks
11-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #24
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
BUT, the problem with the canon DSLR = no IS in the body... i mean wtf they've been doing? like 1/2 of their lens have no IS, wtf we suppose to do shooting without IS? lol. other wise lens like the 50mm f/1.8 is really cheap for ~100 new, the pentax version f/1.7 is like 250... I can't really say much but dam pentax, wtf is going on lol.
I wouldn't worry too much about IS. IS isn't that extremely necessary under 50mm which is where you are going to filming most of the time. Also if you do get a newer Canon lens with the newest generation of IS, it is more effective IS that Pentax's version. Don't look at not having IS as a bad thing when purchasing lenses. It simply gives you more options.

Also the 50mm 1.8 is a bargain and has some great IQ. I would find a good deal going on the T2i and get one while they are extremely cheap.

One more question, have you considered the 60D? It is a fantastic camera for video. The fold out screen would be extremely useful.
11-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
there is a deal going on for 700 bucks (2 lens kit with the T2i)... clearly a better deal than the k-r right now.

my film camera had no IS, my first pentax digital had no IS, my current camera has no IS
I get by fine with no IS thank you very much
11-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #26

Good Samaritan video

Wow, that video is flat out AWESOME.

On K-x? WOW!
11-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote

If you want great video control and results, go with the Canon. Also don't be thrown off by what most of the people here are saying... like 'Pentax excels in still photography' and 'The K-r is a photographer's camera, not a good choice for him.' The T2i will produce extremely good results strictly as a still camera. It will produce images comparable to K-r or any other SLR on the market.
OK, but the K-r is a better camera for still photography than the T2i, and the Pentax lens system is better suited to certain aspects of photography (image-stabilized primes, high-quality designer primes, and lighter high-quality zooms) than the Canon system. I do not believe either of these statements to be very controversial.
11-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clark Quote
my film camera had no IS, my first pentax digital had no IS, my current camera has no IS
I get by fine with no IS thank you very much
That's fine. Either way, you will likely get some lens/body that has IS -- Canon does stick it in their kit lenses now and a lot of third party lenses have it as well. I have to say that even though we all got by fine without image stabilization -- I get along better now with it than I did before (more keepers at slower shutter speeds). Probably not a big deal though if you are planning to do mostly video. Better to use a tripod and panning head for that anyway.
11-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #29
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Impartial Quote
OK, but the K-r is a better camera for still photography than the T2i, and the Pentax lens system is better suited to certain aspects of photography (image-stabilized primes, high-quality designer primes, and lighter high-quality zooms) than the Canon system. I do not believe either of these statements to be very controversial.
The first part yes, is controversial. Totally depends on what you want to shoot. There are differences between the cameras and each has strengths and weaknesses over the other.

The 2nd part is also controversial. IS primes? Canon has those, but not in the low focal length, where it's not totally necesary. 'Designer' primes? I don't know what a designer prime is. Canon has extremely high quality primes. And Pentax has better zooms? That's news to me...
11-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
'Designer' primes? I don't know what a designer prime is. Canon has extremely high quality primes. And Pentax has better zooms? That's news to me...
Pentax has some very nice, unique primes at competative prices. I think that is what he meant by "designer" although I would think that Leica primes would take the cake on that one .

If you love expensive, high quality zooms, I think Canon is a better brand. The magic of Pentax lies in the primes IMHO.

As for the 50 1.7 for 250 dollars... well, to me, it's worth no where near 250... but it's a discontinued lens, so it's way more expensive than it is "worth" so to speak. You can see the same thing happening with the discontinued FA 35mm 2.0. The new DA 35mm 2.4 is priced similarly to the FA when it was sold new.

You have to be careful with discontinued lenses... the market can either undervalue, OR overvalue, a lens.

Compared to the 150 dollar Canon 50mm 1.8, my 50 dollar A 50m 1.7 is a real deal, for example :P.

Comparing single lenses like this is a dangerous game to play, because some lenses cost less in canon world, some cost less in pentax world. What you rally need to do is look at what YOU plan on buying, and comparing the brands. That will give you the best indication of which brand is right for you.

In the end, if video is your thing, Canon is the brand. Neither Nikon, Olympus, Sony, or Pentax have anything on the Canon video system IMHO.

The Pentax is a "photographer's camera" insofar as that is is not a "filmmaker's camera". Assuming that photographer loves high quality, compact primes at a reasonable price, the Pentax system is quite special.