Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-r vs. T2i

I'm confused whether to buy the K-r or the T2i.

I need to be able to get nice pictures in very low light.

I wonder if they both can take pictures as they take videos?
I forgot what that feature is called, sorry.

I've seen short films shot on T2i such as this
I'm aware of the color correction and all that afterwards but I wonder if K-r's video shooting can match up to that because I barely see any from it.

I also wonder how the K-r is on shooting action films if it's any good.

I know of T2i's video capabilities. I'm just not sure of K-r's.
I really want to get a K-r in white because well, I'm picky like that:\

11-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

t2i has much better video than the k-r, low light both are good, likely less noise with the k-r though due to less MP. I dont think you can take photos during video with the k-r
11-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
T2i is better for video with a higher resolution, but the Pentax excels in still photography. You're probably not seeing many samples for the K-R because it's a new camera. The video should be similar to the K-x though, as I don't remember any changes in resolution or frames per second. If you know what you're doing, you can make some decent movies with the K-x/K-r.

Also, you'll find more videos/short films on Vimeo with DSLRs. Here's one using the K-x:

11-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter

that video looks nice!

11-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast replies
I was looking at the comments for that video and I saw that the kit lens is very noisy.
Anyone know what lens would do good/ less noise for both video and photo? Or at least better than the kit lens.
11-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
The T2i is miles ahead of ANY Pentax camera when it comes to VIDEO performance and features
11-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 5389072 Quote
I was looking at the comments for that video and I saw that the kit lens is very noisy.
Anyone know what lens would do good/ less noise for both video and photo? Or at least better than the kit lens.
not sure, the screwdrive or whatever it is for most pentax lenses is fairly noisy. external mic is best which the pentax cant do anyways. maybe you could find a lens with some variation on HSM (hyper sonic motor)
11-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter

If the OP wants to do more videos than stills ... better go with the Canon then.

The K-r is a photographer's camera, not a good choice for him.

JP

11-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
Forum Member

u shouldnt worry about af noise of lens if u are capturing vid with a pentax camera :] theres no af in movie mode, so all the way mf xD same goes for t2i aswell, if u use af u will see contrast detect systems ''advantage'' ,slower than mf :]

so if u are gonna use a dslr for video , u shouldnt pick k-r. sensors heat limits its capabilities. but if u wanna get high quality pictures aswell as short videos with lower price compared to t2i i can suggest to go for it
iso performance on k-r is amazing for me (upgraded from k10d). i can take sharp and almost noisefree photos at 3200 6400 and 12800(color noise makes images soft after pp) with some denoising with topaz denoise 5 :]

still pentax is making cameras compact n lovely. also pentax color rendetion is way more different than canikon and appealing to me. but pentax doesnt have l series glass, that high quality zooms or a ff camera if u wanna upgrade in time. on the other side pentax is inexpensive
11-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
They both are actually the same price o_o well, t2i + the discount of the season.
xD
I really like the white color of the K-r.
I usually take pictures at night but I plan to apply as the Historian for AFJROTC next school year if not next semester.
I also have alot of fiction ideas and I might want to play them out in a short film so it's really confusing -_-
11-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Does anyone know what that function of being able to take pictures while you're in video is called?
11-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the DA 16-45. Great lens!
11-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone know what that function of being able to take pictures while you're in video is called?
Video capture? Still capture? Video still capture?
11-26-2010, 12:01 AM   #14
Forum Member

Only discovered today that you can capture stills from video on the K-r after the fact. As you play the video on the camera, you can pause and save a still. Not great quality though.

wrt to the original topic, I can't speak for the Canon but agree with jpzk: the K-r is a photographer's camera, with video handy but really not the main game.
11-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

i agree with the people on this board, the T2i is a better video camera, the K-r is purely a photographic tool and the video functions are an afterthought in my opinion. The ISO performance of the K-r gets slightly better ISO performance.

I really love the members here, if there is a superior product, we don't go blindly and defend the brand. The T2i is a better video tool, and it seems like everyone here agrees. =] Although you won't be able to get one in Storm Trooper White.