Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #1

The missing top LCD panel

Hi, newbie here (use to shoot film in my high school photography classes but didn't continue until DSLR become popular :-) I bought a K100D a few years ago and about to buy a k-r, but I just notice that there's no top LCD panel. I use it quite a bit on my K100D when adjusting the aperture and shutter speed.

Do you guys who switch from one that has top LCD to the k-r found the missing LCD to be very annoying? Is the info being display in the viewfinder only?

11-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The info is also displayed on the rear lcd as well as the viewfinder.
11-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrbrightside Quote
I bought a K100D a few years ago and about to buy a k-r, but I just notice that there's no top LCD panel. I use it quite a bit on my K100D when adjusting the aperture and shutter speed.

Do you guys who switch from one that has top LCD to the k-r found the missing LCD to be very annoying? Is the info being display in the viewfinder only?
There has been a recent discussion expressing the (opinionated) merits or perceived non/usefulness of top LCDs here..
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/123413-question-k-...ml#post1275004
..that you might want to read.

Fwiw: I don't and never had a 2nd TV myself so honestly don't know, but naturally like an inquisitive kid who's never tasted kumquats, I often wonder if I'm missing something worthwhile, so always like to read up whenever the matter is discussed.

In that sense and so far, it's pretty obvious that for many who grow up with it, a "downshift" is not a palatable option at any cost; whereas others who've never had, see it as a second comb to a bald man (much like boriscleto said above), that could more effectively be supplanted with some other practical feature of usefulness on a DSLR.

Now whether there might be some old school v new age user factors at play in this, I'll let you be the judge.
But I wouldn't mind wagering that top LCDs on more camera models will gradually be phased out in the future - we've already seen phase 1 of Prosumer switch to mainstream appeal in both 60D and D7000 this year.

.R.
"The only thing constant is change." -- Anon.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-28-2010 at 04:38 PM.
11-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The main disadvantage is that it'll be a bit slower to look up shooting info. The back lcd drains more power and can be used for other things, but you can certainly live with it.

11-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I read through the other thread ... didn't know Pentax removed it since k-x. I guess some people really miss it while some don't. I was excited about the k-5, but the price is a little too high for me and thought I can go one price point lower. I'll try to use my K100D without using the top LCD see how I like it ... maybe the k-5 will drop in price.
11-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #6

using k100d whitout the top LCD is pointless, because aperture and shutter speed are not diplayed on the back LCD.
11-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I went from K100/k10 to K-x I do miss that top lcd quite a bit. I find switching between back LCD and VF annoying since the back lcd is used both for review and to setup aperture/iso/etc. Would much rather deal with the top LCD as it's dedicated for that and nothing else.

11-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Forum Member

On my K200d (which had the top LED) I didn't often use it, relying on the viewfinder information, so with the K-r I really don't miss it at all.
11-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
I tried some shooting without using the top LCD ... it's not too bad. I think I will wait a few months to see if K-5 drops in price.
11-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would miss the top LCD. I generally have the back screen turned off to save batteries.
11-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I use the top LCD on my K200D all the time, itīs great. I would definitely miss it if I changed to a K-x or K-r, but then I shoot more manual lenses than AF ones, and when I shoot an AF lens I use it in A mode so I need to be able to see the shooting info all the time.

I suspect that if you use auto modes the top LCD has far less worth than if you use manual or semi-auto modes.
11-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm a K100DS user (the only DSLR I've ever owned) and considering the KR as well. Unfortunately for me, I'm hooked on the top LCD. Using the main LCD for function control seems tedious. Plus, I wonder what happens if you're shooting outside in bright sun. Can you see the screen ? At least I could always tilt & shadow the top LCD to make due. I too am interested in other PF members opinions who have made the move to absent top LCD bodies. I wish Pentax was more readily available in stores (other than in NYC) so you could try one out.
12-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #13

I went from k10d to KX. Missed the top lcd for a day and then never looked back. The back screen shows the relevant information more clearly and since one uses the camera at eye level, looking at the screen is easier than dropping the camera to mid chest height to check the top LCD and then comingback up to eye level.

Unless you suffer from obsessional RTC, you'll get past the missing top screen very quickly - let me put it this way - it is nice to have, like electric windows in a car but not essential for road holding and driveability of the vehicle. Don't let it put you off getting the best camera in its segment. The image quality is fantastic.
12-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
Top LCD is a relict from the film era. On my K-20D I hardly even know it's there, although it comes handy to have a brief status check. On dSLR it is common to check histograms and/or focus of the images recorded. All other relevant parameter are shown in the viewfinder.

The newer models like K-r have a interactive status display, which makes perfect sense. I also like the control panel view. And clarity and detail richness of the 3" LCD on K-r is just brilliant!

cheers,
d
12-13-2010, 10:58 PM   #15

Came from a DS. Heavily dependent on it then. Got used to not having it after half a day with the K-r. The low end models' top LCD were not backlit anyway, making it hard to use in dim light.

I guess that agent dude in the Matrix movie was wrong after all. We're not a virus. We do adapt .