Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #16
Forum Member

The most stupid, terrible and misleading concept with memory cards:

> Is there any advantage to buying anything larger than 8 Gig? Anything bigger I am afraid I could lose a lot of images should a card fail.

And I trusted to this for many years!

Started with four BIG 16Mb memory cards...

Then I bought two huge memory cards 64mb...

Then I bought in total four 256mb cards...

Then I had 1gb cards (uncountable quantity, once got for some 150USD un e-bay bargain with 6 1Gb cards, and remember that I bought two 1gb lexar super speedy memory cards. and I still have on bookshelf three 1Gb sandisk memory cards).

===
Today usable card count:

Then Came 4gb SDHC era. Got some slow transcend A-data ebay cards. I guess I have 4 of them. And I have three 4gb Sandisk Ultra cards.

Then I have some two years old 8GB Sandisk Normal(2), Ultras (3), Extreme (2). And A-data 8gb two or three.

===

Resumee:

1.Two years ago failed one chepa transcend card. I photoraphed Christmas party at work, it was huge with top level rock band, fireworks, excellent Palace, excellent pictures. And... Memory card died. Problem - it was ebay cheap card. There participated ovners of company this year and so on. ALL OF THEM asked me for pics...

2. This summer I photographed wedding. RAW+JPG... Burst... I had for end of celebration 3 full 8gb memory cards (my wife got 2 full memoryy cards - we are making this bussines together). Later for unofficial part of day I started to use 4gb cards too - all of them was full...

Moral - I LOST SOMEWHERE ONE 8GB card from ceremony - half of ceremony where rings are putted on fingers were lost (luckily wife took at the same time the same type pics from wide angle wiew - so, we were coverd). Ok, I found this 8GB extreme car two months later - under back seat of my car.

3. Two times I lost pictures due to broken SD cards. I have them so much... That I place them in my wallet, 2pcs in one plastic enclosure...And they become broken phusically. So, two times I lost picures, because I knew - cards is broken, but ok, It works. And theses stopped...

=========

THE BEST APPROACH:

Buy 32 gb SDHC card and use it. It is the most safe way! Go to amazon and ask them for Transcend 32 GB SDHC Class 10... It will cost pennies, I mean 50 USD.

12-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Already bought a Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 10 but I see the wisdom of your new approach as my wife misplaced a 4 GB card for her Nikon P&S which had our grandson's birthday party which was a really neat affair at a indoor water park. Sure hope she finds it as it has a few once in a lifetime pics (family kind) on it.
12-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
sorry for jumping in,
but does anyone know why the manual said is not advisable using the micro SD card with an adaptor?
12-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
Inactive Account

I just got a Panasonic 8GB class 10 (one with the gold sticker). Seems to work pretty well so far, though the transfer speed from camera to pc is not what I'd hoped. I've not shot much video yet, and haven't done too much burst shooting so time will tell I guess.