Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hambino Quote
After reading the first link, I still don't think I experience any blackout problems; but tomorrow is a new day for shooting and I'll crank it down a bit and do some testing, just for you
Thanks I'll definitely appreciate your feedback and experience, and if proves positive for you will want to order the same brand/type for my spare K-x, sounds like it could work out magic for my macro work.

.R.

12-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In another thread someone observed that these are "dust magnets", it sure seems that way :-) I suppose a small scratch is more of an annoyance than a serious issue, at least scratches and dust on the screen affect only what you see, not what the sensor sees when the mirror is up. Very clever things these, and focusing with them is somehow a very satisfying expericence. Could it be that in general getting most things just right is impossile whereas with one these and a good MF lens such as a Pentax-M it is so effortless that it is fun? :-)
01-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #18

Are those 105$ KatzEye screens really so much better than those 20$ screens from china on ebay?
I was wondering about dual split vs single split and horisontal (180*) vs. diagonal (45*). Any opinions?
01-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

According to my photographer coworker, the KatzEye will be hands down better. However, he highly recommends spending the money to get the Pentax brackets and the brilliant coating. Making it a $200 screen. As he said, "You can't shoot it if you can't see it" (so spend the money on the coating)

01-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by misiu_mp Quote
Are those 105$ KatzEye screens really so much better than those 20$ screens from china on ebay?
I was wondering about dual split vs single split and horisontal (180*) vs. diagonal (45*). Any opinions?
yes, the $20-35 screens on Ebay sucks. I tried a couple and one didn't fit well, and another wasn't calibrated correctly (or something, the focus was way off with the screen). It seemed to have been a little too thick and the latch couldn't stay "hooked" or latched very well.
01-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 45 split is kind of neat as it allows using vertical and horizontal features to be used for focusing without tilting the camera. It seems the Ebay screens vary a lot depending on the supplier. Many seem to be happy with the ones provided by "jinfinance", though (see: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/72081-jinfinanc...reen-good.html). It seems Katzeye is the Cadillac of 3rd party screens :-)
01-10-2011, 05:05 AM   #22

How come that jinifinance seller is not on ebay.co.uk? The Americans complain about their trade deficit, but when one wants to help, the only choice is still China.
For my GX-20 I bought a screen from LinkDelight :

Dual 45 Split Image Focus Screen for Pentax K10D O5N2 on eBay (end time 30-Jan-11 17:20:09 GMT)

It is good. I don't have much to compare with, but i'm happy (except for all the dust on it).
It does black out somewhat when shooting in really dim conditions with not the fastest primes.

Now I want to get one for my brother. He's got a K-x (trying to introduce him to the MF).
I was thinking maybe a horizontal one would be more simple, classical.
I'm sceptical towards the dual split. I think a single split would be more pronounced in the out-of-focus case. Larger parts of the image would be misaligned. In dual split only the thin strip is out of alignment, making it harder to see. Also I find the 45* split not really optimal for either vertical nor horizontal edges. Often I turn the camera to align it to either of those directions. Granted, the turn is just 45* but if it was horizontal split, I wouldn't have to tilt the camera at all in probably more than half of the cases I do now. The other part I would have to turn it full 90* though.

I didn't quite use any other split screen, so it is all assumptions.
What do you all think?