Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
B&H or Adorama are as gray market to a Canadian buyer as buying something off of someone's rickshaw in Singapore would be.
You're of course right, Bill. My bad. I have forgotten that you were Canadian. I apologize.

12-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #17

In my country, if a buy a pentax k-x from local store, i must pay $900, so i think the risk is worth it.
The k-r still not available here
12-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

As long as you realize it is a risk, and man up to it if it goes badly.
12-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Entiendo todos los comentarios, pero Pentax como empresa seria que es, deberia de explicitamente indicar en su pagina en cuales paises sera valida su garantia internacional y en cuales no. Ya que el termino garantia internacional es muy amplio, y no exponer en su pagina el nombre de los distribuidores que aplicaran al garantia, pero que realmente no aplican la garantia. Esto se me hace un engaño por parte de la empresa. Seria mejor que simplemente pusiera en cuales paises sera valida la garantia.
En mi caso la solucion sera enviar la camara a EU para garantia, y solo podran entregarla de regreso a una direccion en EU. Mejor esto que tener una camara inutil.

12-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
Forum Member

i dont know how the laws protect customer rights, but even in Turkey when u cry abit they just take it to warranty :P all u need is credit card bill that shows u bought the product from a retailer of pentax and an international warranty card. althought they have right to charge u shipping cost ( they may not fix the product in mexico so they cant pay customs duties for u, cuz ur products serial number is not listed in the 1s they paid to customs )
so best way is to communicate with pentax us for international warranty card, when u get all necessary document ask for service in mexico. if they dont respond u in the way u like mail it to pentax.jp. if they dont respond well u can accuse them by abusing international trade rights. and u will probably get more than service as a result xD
12-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

While a non-working pop-up flash does reduce the value of the camera, imho it's still not that bad as imho the in-camera flash for K-x is almost useless except for wireless trigger use.

For wireless use as master flash it also doesnt fire 100%, and you might be better off with a chinese radio trigger.

Sorry for your loss but I thought I'd try to make it less painful :x Good luck on trying to obtain the service though, fingers crossed
12-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Gracias, estoy aprendiendo a no necesitar el flash, auque no cuento con lentes luminosos. Estoy pensando en comprar un flash externo.

Saludos.
12-14-2010, 04:08 AM   #23
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
FWIW, in Israel the official Pentax Dealer does not respect international warranty. You have to buy your gear from them or their affiliated outlets in order for your warranty to be honored. There are not the only ones doing so, it is pretty common practice here.
I just bought a Canon (can I say that here??!) for a young relative in Israel, along with a Mack International Warranty. Double-checked with Mack before I bought it, and it was confirmed that if warranty repair is required, that Mack will advise where to take it and provide the cover.

12-14-2010, 04:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I just bought a Canon ...
Infidel! Bring out the stones and fake beards for the ladies! (Monty Python 1979, Life of Brian) ;-)
12-14-2010, 04:32 AM   #25
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
.....the Wilkipedia link he sent me to confirmed that B&H (and Adorama and any other USA store) is a gray marketer.
I haven't read the Wikipedia piece - I have a deep mistrust of something that my kids could get into and mess with!

The bottom line is that Gray Market refers to merchandise that is imported and sold by methods other than by authorized dealers.

Adorama does sell some gray market Pentax lenses, (identified as such clearly on the website), and will always provide the same length and level of warranty support as non-gray would receive (from the manufacturer).

But if a buyer from outside the US purchases an item from the US that has been imported via an authorized distributor for personal use, it does not follow that he (or Adorama) is a 'Grey Marketeer'.

One other point to take away; I would personally never purchase any item from anywhere outside the country where I'm living without also purchasing an International warranty, unless I was OK with taking a chance on possibly needing to find repair costs within the period that would in other circumstances have been covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
12-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I haven't read the Wikipedia piece - I have a deep mistrust of something that my kids could get into and mess with!

The bottom line is that Gray Market refers to merchandise that is imported and sold by methods other than by authorized dealers.

Adorama does sell some gray market Pentax lenses, (identified as such clearly on the website), and will always provide the same length and level of warranty support as non-gray would receive (from the manufacturer).

But if a buyer from outside the US purchases an item from the US that has been imported via an authorized distributor for personal use, it does not follow that he (or Adorama) is a 'Grey Marketeer'.

One other point to take away; I would personally never purchase any item from anywhere outside the country where I'm living without also purchasing an International warranty, unless I was OK with taking a chance on possibly needing to find repair costs within the period that would in other circumstances have been covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
Adorama is not a Grey market dealer per se however if i were to import an item from them to Canada the goods are considered "Grey" as I did not buy through the Canadian distribution chain (which pays for the Canadian warranties BTW)
purchasing an international warranty from a third party would raise the price enough that there is no savings on any current product so it would be foolish to buy outside the country for me. aside from that the shipping fees frequently make the item close to the same price as it sits. there are exceptions, I buy almost all my film from freestyle photo as the canadian pricing on film is out to lunch (frequently 50% + more than freestyles price. As are market is so small there is no Canadian version of freestyle that has cropped up with the buying power to re-brand tri-x as freestyle does either. My K10 did come from the US as a refurb. At the time there were no big refurb blowouts up here and by the time all was said and done I saved several hundred dollars. that was worth it. With the increase in our dollar value having been pretty stable now for a long enough period Canadian prices have mostly come into line with US pricing. Some Brick and mortar stores are higher than the best priced US online dealers but the same would hold true for US Brick and mortar stores,. You have to pay for it if you want the service and the ability to consult.