Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

[langtitle=es]Garantia de pentax no es internacional[/langtitle]

Compre mi camara pentax K-r hace tres semanas por medio de amazon, ahora dejo de funcionar el flash, y resulta que la garantia no es valida en Mexico, aunque en todas partes dice que tiene garantia internacional, al momento de quererla aplicar no la hacen valida, tengan cuidado ya que leer algo como esto me hubiera sido muy util antes de comprarla, ya que la garantia internacional no aplica. ahora tengo una camara inutil sin garantia, aparte de que este modelo al parecer ha tenido muchos problemas.

12-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, vendors who give you warranty on their sold gear is not the same as international warranty. I hope you can sort it out through Amazon.
12-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Contact Pentax. Your representative in Mexico is:

Jorge Meyer Broissin, S. A. de C. V.
Av. San Mateo #35-B, Fracc. San Mateo, Col. Boulevares
Naucalpan de Juarez. Edo. de Mexico C.P. 53140
(52)-5-560-20-44/373-95-20

You should be able to get an International Warranty Card. Pentax US states on their website:

International Warranty Card
New PENTAX products do not automatically come with an international warranty that covers all PENTAX products around the world. However, it is possible to obtain an International Warranty Card through PENTAX Imaging Company after you have purchased a PENTAX product. If you bought your PENTAX product in the United States and are traveling to a foreign country for an extended period of time, we can send you an International Warranty Card to cover your product while you are abroad. We will also send you a list of authorized service centers around the world. Warranty and Repairs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Please tell us what retailer you bought it from on Amazon.

Does this help?

Seaain
12-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Antes que nada muchas gracias por su apoyo, efectivamente ya había leído todo lo que se menciona en los post anteriores, las personas que me atendieron en soporte de Pentax casi no sabían nada de la garantía internacional, parecía que les hablaba de algo extraño, también hable al sitio donde me dijeron que supuestamente me harían valida la garantía en México, y me dijeron que ellos no atienden garantías de productos comprados fuera de México, desgraciadamente hay un gran desconocimiento de las personas encargadas de prestar el servicio.
El teléfono que dan en la parte de arriba para México, no contestan y en el sitio que me dio soporte técnico de Pentax dicen que solo dan servicio para productos comprados en México.
La opción que me dieron fue mandarla a Estados Unidos, la repara o la cambian, y la regresan a una dirección en Estados Unidos, ya que no pueden mandar la cámara a México........eso no es garantía internacional........
Amazon me dijo que la garantía la aplicaba solo el fabricante.
Estoy decepcionado de Pentax, ya que al comprar una marca no solamente es por la calidad de los productos sino también por la calidad del servicio, y el hecho de que digan que tiene garantía internacional y al quererla aplicar no se pueda, habla mal de la empresa. Lo malo es que digan que cuentan con un servicio y al momento de quererlo aplicar no sea cierto, si no lo pueden brindar, mejor no lo ofrezcan.

Este comentario va enfocado a personas que piensan comprar la marca Pentax y quieran llevársela a otro país y piensen que van a poder hacer valida la garantía, si yo hubiera sabido que no iba a funcionar la garantía internacional simplemente no hubiera comprado la cámara. Por lo Menos en México no hay forma de aplicar la garantía.

12-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have purchased several lenses from Canada and used the international warranty in the United States without any problem. The Canadian warranty is two years, while the international warranty is only one, but I certainly didn't have any problems using it.

If all else fails, could you send it to the United States to get it serviced under warranty?
12-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

FWIW, in Israel the official Pentax Dealer does not respect international warranty. You have to buy your gear from them or their affiliated outlets in order for your warranty to be honored. There are not the only ones doing so, it is pretty common practice here.
12-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if it has anything to do with who owns the distribution rights. Pentax Canada, for example, is owned by Pentax. Pentax USA and probably Pentax Mexico, I believe are independent distributors.
It generally is a gamble to buy anything gray market.
I tend to eschew B&H and Adorama for example because they are gray market.

12-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
FWIW, in Israel the official Pentax Dealer does not respect international warranty. You have to buy your gear from them or their affiliated outlets in order for your warranty to be honored. There are not the only ones doing so, it is pretty common practice here.
this is not unusual for any manufacturer. Local distribution is frequently just that Distribution, and not owned or controlled by the corporate parent. Distributors will often refuse to work on product not bought from them becaause it signifies a lost revenue stream (I'm also not sure how the Isreali Distributor agreement works but as an example Sony Canada was for decades owned by the cohen brothers (canadians) the product came into the country at a lower price without corporate warranty support and they provided the warranty service out of their profits. The Canadian price was frequently higher than the US price at the time (smaller volume+higher Distribution cost per unit + duties and taxes that are no longer in existence) so their was a lot of Grey market product coming in from the US. Sony Canada would not service it as they did not have the funding for it. (occasionally though as a good will gesture they would service an individual who had brought it into Canada and could prove it was purchased in the US and not from a local Grey Market dealer)
12-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you bought the camera through Amazon US (amazon.com) then I suppose contacting Pentax US would be the thing to do. You might have to pay for shipping, but the repair (/replacement) itself should be covered the same as for a US resident. [edit: this assuming Amazon gets their stock trough Pentax US]
12-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I tend to eschew B&H and Adorama for example because they are gray market.
My understanding is that B&H and Adorama mark clearly which item is gray and which is not. So, in principle, with a bit of attention one can shop safely with these vendors.
12-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

BH is not Grey market on any Pentax products (if you live in the US they are an authorized US dealer) however when you order from them for delivery to another country then the product is Grey market for you as it wasn't bought from a local authorized dealer.
So take that into account in the price you pay. saving $50 doesn't do it for me, saving a few hundred would ( dependent on the original cost of course)
12-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

definition of grey market that should explain it
Grey market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
12-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

to quote

"
Photographic equipment

Generally regarded as legal in most countries, parallel imports make expensive photographic equipment attractive to savvy users. The grey market in photographic equipment is thriving in highly developed and heavily taxed states like Singapore, with dealers importing directly from lower taxed states and selling at a lower price, creating competition against a local authorised distributor. Grey sets, as colloquially called, are often comparable to authorised imports. Lenses or flash units of parallel imports often only differ by the warranty provided, and since the grey sets were manufactured for another state, photographic equipment manufacturers often offer local warranty, instead of international warranty, which will render grey sets ineligible for warranty claims with the manufacturer. Due to the nature of local warranties, importers of grey sets usually offer their own warranty schemes with reduced benefits or lasting a shorter period of time. Grey sets do not differ particularly from an authorised import. They look and function identically, apart from the manufacturer's warranties having been voided
12-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
My understanding is that B&H and Adorama mark clearly which item is gray and which is not. So, in principle, with a bit of attention one can shop safely with these vendors.
Boris, as soon as a product circumvents the local supply chain, it is gray market.
B&H or Adorama are as gray market to a Canadian buyer as buying something off of someone's rickshaw in Singapore would be.
I tried to hash this out with the B&H rep here a short time ago, and while he refused to answer my question directly, the Wilkipedia link he sent me to confirmed that B&H (and Adorama and any other USA store) is a gray marketer.
12-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Boris, as soon as a product circumvents the local supply chain, it is gray market.
B&H or Adorama are as gray market to a Canadian buyer as buying something off of someone's rickshaw in Singapore would be.
I tried to hash this out with the B&H rep here a short time ago, and while he refused to answer my question directly, the Wilkipedia link he sent me to confirmed that B&H (and Adorama and any other USA store) is a gray marketer.
+1

I spent 25 years in consumer electronics in Canada and this has always been an issue, not just for the distributors but also for the retailers whose staff frequently spend time showing the product and helping the client only to lose the sale to the US over what frequently doesn't amount to a very big saving. This year with our Dollar trading close to par for a longer period of time I have noticed prices much more in line with the US so it will be less of an issue (with the exception of the people who think the can circumvent the sales tax through buying from the US. They are wrong of course , unless they go down and smuggle it back they will pay the tax at the border (unless of course they are gone a week and the purchase is below their $750 allowance not likely on most of the product we discuss here)