Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 04:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-r not popular in Japan?

or just not yet available in large numbers or in all shops?

According to bcnranking, the best-selling K-r model (white double kit) was #69 last week, that's behind several K-5 kits and K-x kits.

12-09-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kr suffers from being an in between model. Those who really needed the features missing on the kx decided that they would be better served moving up to the K5, while the kx is very similar in many respects to the kr, just quite a bit cheaper. Your entry level camera will always sell the most.
12-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Kr suffers from being an in between model. Those who really needed the features missing on the kx decided that they would be better served moving up to the K5, while the kx is very similar in many respects to the kr, just quite a bit cheaper. Your entry level camera will always sell the most.
Yes, but wasn't it supposed to be the entry model by now? Hmm, seems like they're still selling the K-x in Japan. I guess the K-r will take off when they retire the K-x and reduce the price of the K-x.
12-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
elg
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Kr suffers from being an in between model.
I think that if K5 replaces K7, then K-r replaces K-x in the Pentax model line. There is no 'in between' model.
Btw. When I read the older K-x reviews quite a few of them clasified K-x as more advanced model than entry level (feature wise).
Why people are getting K-x is understandable - image quality is the same as from K-r, it is a tiny bit slower than k-r, but a good bit cheaper.
The main thing that is missing in k-x (in my opinion) is focus point indication, the rest of the k-r advantages are very slight or not that relevant.

12-10-2010, 04:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how much longer Pentax will continue to sell the K7 and the Kx, but for now, I would consider them both current models, since they are (as far as I know) still being made and sold. I am sure that Pentax will phase them out over time, but when that is planned, I don't know.
12-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elg Quote
I think that if K5 replaces K7, then K-r replaces K-x in the Pentax model line. There is no 'in between' model.
Btw. When I read the older K-x reviews quite a few of them clasified K-x as more advanced model than entry level (feature wise).
Why people are getting K-x is understandable - image quality is the same as from K-r, it is a tiny bit slower than k-r, but a good bit cheaper.
The main thing that is missing in k-x (in my opinion) is focus point indication, the rest of the k-r advantages are very slight or not that relevant.
right now the k-r is just 100 bucks more than the k-x... so it's not a whole lot... The k-r IMO is much more convenient with it's focus point indicator... but at the same time I like the white body of the k-x, freaking no other different color in the US for the k-r...
12-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
The k-r IMO is much more convenient with it's focus point indicator... but at the same time I like the white body of the k-x, freaking no other different color in the US for the k-r...
??
Adorama even has a White body only bundle, which is unusual because Pentax tried to push lens kits for all coloured K-x when it came out:
IPXKRWHA Pentax K-r Digital SLR Camera Body Only Kit - White - 4GB SD Memory Card, Camera Bag, Professional Lens Cleaning Kit, Digital Memory Case
...and there are plenty of White and Red with 18-55 DAL available for only a few bucks more.

Pricewise, the good thing is K-r body (Black) has now dropped to USD629 (at B&H) which should boost take up.
Won't be long before K-x gets relegated to dinosaur status.

.R.
12-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
elg
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
right now the k-r is just 100 bucks more than the k-x... so it's not a whole lot...
100 bucks more In USA. In Europe where I live (Ireland), K-r costs 200 euro more than K-x.

12-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
??
Adorama even has a White body only bundle, which is unusual because Pentax tried to push lens kits for all coloured K-x when it came out:
IPXKRWHA Pentax K-r Digital SLR Camera Body Only Kit - White - 4GB SD Memory Card, Camera Bag, Professional Lens Cleaning Kit, Digital Memory Case
...and there are plenty of White and Red with 18-55 DAL available for only a few bucks more.

Pricewise, the good thing is K-r body (Black) has now dropped to USD629 (at B&H) which should boost take up.
Won't be long before K-x gets relegated to dinosaur status.

.R.
I'm so not buying the k-r at that price. amazon has a black dual lens kit (300mm one) for 750. I just realized they do carry k-r in white (which is what i want), the price is way too much though.