Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is it just me or is the KR Forum mostly negative

OK, I'm new to the forum and just received my KR last Friday, but if I wasn't a long time Pentax devotee (back to the K1000 film camera) and was thinking of buying a Pentax camera and simply read most of the thread titles here I would be be scared away the KR. I am not trying to downplay problems incountered by others but I have been trying to find any faults being discussed on the forum but so far my KR is fault free and I am learning to love it. Just had to get that off my chest as I have found myself avoiding the KR forum because it is somewhat depressing to see all the negative titles. Hopefully most KR users are happy with their choice as I am and only those with problems are posting in hope of getting help.

12-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's nothing wrong with the camera, but it's not as popular as the K-5 because it doesn't flatten the competition, and not as popular as the K-x because of the higher price.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #3

Well the general behavior is that most people that are happy with what they have seldom post in forums. It's only when you have problems that you ask around .

The K-r is an incremental upgrade to the K-x, and those upgrade really does not improve to the K-x's great IQ. That makes it less exciting. While on the other hand, the K-5 boosts the K-7's IQ, making it more desirable.

Now, if you were coming from an old model like me (a DS), I'm so happy with it (no QC issues so far also) I just want to go out and shoot
12-10-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought a K-r for my wife but sent it back because the flash didn't work. I was very worried about the replacement but it was fine. After going out on an evening shoot with her using the K-r vs my K-7....my K-7 can't keep up.

12-10-2010, 01:47 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I bought a K-r for my wife but sent it back because the flash didn't work. I was very worried about the replacement but it was fine. After going out on an evening shoot with her using the K-r vs my K-7....my K-7 can't keep up.
In what way does the K-7 'can't keep up'? Just curious
12-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
Well the general behavior is that most people that are happy with what they have seldom post in forums. It's only when you have problems that you ask around .

The K-r is an incremental upgrade to the K-x, and those upgrade really does not improve to the K-x's great IQ. That makes it less exciting. While on the other hand, the K-5 boosts the K-7's IQ, making it more desirable.

Now, if you were coming from an old model like me (a DS), I'm so happy with it (no QC issues so far also) I just want to go out and shoot
That's what I figure. I think that, generally, most people will voice their displeasure about something more than they will their pleasure. It's understandable, because you expect things purchased items to reach a certain quality standard, especially when you buy it new.

I'm hoping this is the case, anyway, because I just ordered my new K-r and I'm getting a bit nervous reading all of the negative replies. I'm really glad that I found this site though because now I know what problems to look for and I'll have some support if something occurs.
12-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Si no fuera por que mi flash no sirve y por que pentax no hara valida la garantia en mexico, estaria contento con la k-r, ahora estoy muy decepcionado con la marca por poner en su pagina que tiene garantia internacional y que no sea cierto, por lo menos en mexico.
12-10-2010, 10:41 PM   #8

It's true with most things.
People with a problem tend to go to onlineforums to find solutions.
Be thankful you are here for a diferent reason.

Congrats on your purchase

12-11-2010, 05:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I find cycles with PF, leading up to a new release there is excitement and a declaration that the new camera is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then it is released and all the whiners and trolls appear on mass, especially if there is only an incremental improvement; then it quiets down and we get some useful posts and even some nice pictures.

Then the cycle repeats.
12-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by texoma Quote
Is it just me or is the KR Forum mostly negative
I think this ENTIRE forum is mostly negative. At least this month. One month ago it was all about 'Pentax is the best, anyone who doesn't use one is an idiot.' Now it seems we're back to doom and gloom. It'll change again as soon as people get over the "my camera may be defective (and i may not have even known it)!" panic.

It's real hard to keep up with when you're supposed to love pentax and when you're supposed to hate them around here..... it changes so often....
12-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
In what way does the K-7 'can't keep up'? Just curious
You're lucky, you have a Kx. Grin will have to speak for himself but i can well imagine what he experienced in the evening. I photograph the occasional dark play scene for a local theatre. My K20 often can't do an adequate job in low light. I only can reproduce some low light pictures by heavy application of software antinoise software such as Topaz or LR3.

There is definitely a Kx, Kr or K5 in my future. For the directors i work for, they want to see how the promo pictures we take will come out. The 3" screen of the KR and K5 have an advantage in the larger more detailed screen. Also the Kr has the new AF algorithyms so should benefit in that regard.

Be happy with the Kr, i know i would enjoy it very much.

Last edited by philbaum; 12-11-2010 at 11:23 AM.
12-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #12
bwy

I've had my k-r for a couple of weeks and love it. I'm a newbie to dslr, but just got back from a vacation and took about 1000 pictures and it's just been great.
12-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a loaner K-r for a few weeks and it's a smokin' little camera.
12-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
Forum Member

k-r is the best camera for my novice dslr experience i ve used k100ds k10d and now k-r. all i can say is pentax have developed af system ,awb,iso capabilities better as users demanded.
theres nothing to make u feel negative against the company there may be defective products, thats normal and thats why they offer exchange/warranty...
ppl who cries over on a simple defect on this forum is not really using the equipment they paid for. they are just sitting behind a monitor and reading confusive threads over internet
take ur camera out, take pics be socialized
12-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a K10D and a K20D. Now I've added a K-r.

I've nothing but good things to say. A couple of little functionalities would be helpful, but it has added things to my bag of tricks that I did not have before.

Nice little camera.

woof!