Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 03:26 AM   #1

K-r Review

Is it my imagination or do I remember seeing somewhere there was going to be a K-r review posted on this site on the 12th?

12-13-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AstraNine Quote
Is it my imagination or do I remember seeing somewhere there was going to be a K-r review posted on this site on the 12th?
That can be canceled now, I bought one today 13th (local time) so can do my own proper review.

(Preliminary finding: My poor K-x is feeling neglected already...)

.R.
12-13-2010, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #3

The review is out already!

Pentax K-r Review - PentaxForums.com
12-14-2010, 03:43 AM   #4

This review is little to short. For example there is nothing about shake reduction. How does it works? What minimum shutter speed can I use with SR "on" to still take sharp enough photo?

12-14-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Langus Quote
This review is little to short. For example there is nothing about shake reduction. How does it works?
Someone please pass this person a cigar! Yep. Like most product reviews on the Internet, paper magazines, etc., it's little more than a friendly-worded overview of a new product of current interest. aka Obligatory Column Filling.

Aside from the lack of informative substance on say; such capabilities and features like you mention, stuff that can be very important to many people, what I find more insidious with these things is that lesser status released products like the K-r camera tend to get a very belated and very nonchalant, often belittling attention, most likely I'd say due to the authors whose own personal persuasions and experience level would naturally lean them toward higher end products.
K-r's big-sister the K-5 camera being a good example of copping the 110% attention sacred cow treatment in comparison.

And let's not mention certain new 18-135 up-market lenses v's new humble 35mm lenses, just try reading those two reviews on here from an impartial, objective viewpoint and you might catch the gist of what I'm alluding to.

To me that's all blatant as it is typical and unprofessional. And this website and its writer-contributors are no exception in that regard.

Anyone ever care to think about that? Who and what consumer sector would typically need the more informative, skilled guidance and coverage in a review?
Surely not the typical K-5 market person who could reasonably be expected to possess certain basic intermediate levels of product knowledge - might not the entry level person be the one who seeks, and desperately needs, the more inclusive hand holding explanatory coverage?

But no doubt many would disagree with what I've said. And thus the squeakiest wheels always get oiled and the clique becomes more and more introspective...

Ahh but I digress so. Enuff of that.

What minimum shutter speed can I use with SR "on" to still take sharp enough photo?
Much of that depends on the individual's physical ability to hold a camera still over the total shutter duration.
Because of that vast randomness with humans, and all other conditions at the moment, General guidelines do prove pretty worthless.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-14-2010 at 05:43 AM.
12-15-2010, 03:05 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for review PF

I have read it and... it seems reviewer did experienced same NR bug as I did some time ago https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/122287-k-r-high-iso-nois...n-problem.html

However, there is no word about this problem in review (and there should not be).

Problem can be best seen in ISO 25600 pictures
Auto: https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/krreview/highiso/IMGP0771.jpg
Off: https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/krreview/highiso/IMGP0772.jpg
High: https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/krreview/highiso/IMGP0777.jpg

Here, all of them seem the same, however in reality there is huge difference between High and Off setting. It seems that all these were shot with Auto setting.

So reviewer could repeat these shots (Off and High) by turning off camera after setting change and turning it back on before shot.

p.s. some pictures are missing too - e.g. general ISO 6400 shot (pentaxforums 404 page is loaded in a frame)
12-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
LOL,,, way to go Hypocorism. I agree 100%. Really a shame. They must get paid a percentage of who buys the k-5 or something. Leaving out the better k-r... I am fixing to buy the k-r for my camera as I have the k-x and do not like the IQ of the k-5 personally.
You nailed this one..... Pentax entry lever dslr's have everything a wildlife shooter like me wants. At less than half the price of the k-5

Last edited by garyk; 12-29-2010 at 08:51 PM.
12-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #8

Whilst I do not entirely agree with all of Hypo's comments, I do agree for the most part. I also agree that many people who want a review, want that review because they are eitther moving up a grade of camera or, have had a camera for a few years and now want to upgrade and given the "entry" level of many of these cameras both often require much more detail and oversight than many of these reviews give.

I too can't help but feel that reviewers are very biaised to manufacturers, frightened of upsetting them. But I do also get well peeed off, with this obsessive need to always deem the "Big Two" the best cameras.
As a point in hand, a few weeks ago I was looking at a very well known weekly (Uk) photomag. The news colums was dominated by them, and for the next 5 weeks every single week either featured a review of a Canon product, or a comparison of another against a Canon - and that included two printers! I rather think they are sponsored by canon. I actually wrote to the mag pointing out out of 29 reviews and 73 news items, 76% were based around canon - to which or course there was no reply... and they wonder why they have the market share. Give me a Pentax, Sony, Fuji or Panny anytime.
woody

12-30-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ions Quote
p.s. some pictures are missing too - e.g. general ISO 6400 shot (pentaxforums 404 page is loaded in a frame)
I've now corrected this. Looks like the reviewer mistyped the image URL! Thanks for reporting this.

This review is little to short. For example there is nothing about shake reduction. How does it works? What minimum shutter speed can I use with SR "on" to still take sharp enough photo?
While I don't think every review should reinvent the wheel, take a look at the K-5 review, where we did do a brief SR demo: Pentax K-5 Review | PentaxForums.com

The Pentax SR system does what it's supposed to do: reduces effective camera shake by up to 4 stops with any lens. We could probably write an entire article on it and still not be done, so I think the sample images are a better reference in this case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: