Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #1

K-r performance with rechargeable AA's

Has anyone used the K-r with Eneloops or other rechargeables?

How is the performance compared to the battery pack? How many shots on the average?

TIA

12-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter

The aa adapter part hasnt been released yet, as far as I can see (i have one on preorder) so noone knows for sure.

That said lots of ppl using the k-x with aa's and I think eneloops are supposed to be pretty good, I think some ppl get 1000+ shots with little to no flash/video use.

With the battery pack I think you get around 600 or so
12-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
The aa adapter part hasnt been released yet, as far as I can see (i have one on preorder) so noone knows for sure.

That said lots of ppl using the k-x with aa's and I think eneloops are supposed to be pretty good, I think some ppl get 1000+ shots with little to no flash/video use.

With the battery pack I think you get around 600 or so
I can get the adapter for an equivalent of US$50. A bit hard to swallow .

I used a DS, and I never ran out of juice in my 3 years of shooting with AA rechargeables. Well, I had a spare set. But never had been in a situation where I was out of power.

But the K-r has a 3" vga screen. That sucks a lot of power from a lower mah rated AA. And maybe a more power hungry AF motor to boot.
12-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote

I used a DS, and I never ran out of juice in my 3 years of shooting with AA rechargeables. Well, I had a spare set. But never had been in a situation where I was out of power.

But the K-r has a 3" vga screen. That sucks a lot of power from a lower mah rated AA. And maybe a more power hungry AF motor to boot.
Im willing to bet the difference in avg number of shots will be negligible between the k-x and k-r with similar usage. But I could be wrong

12-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is about the best I've seen it, and intend to get for myself next order:
39100 Pentax AA Battery Holder D-BH109 for KR DSLR Cameras
They also have the D-LI109 battery at USD49.95, apparently genuine:
http://www.adorama.com/IPXDLI109.html
..but there are a few eBay variants around now to consider too, from about USD19.95+.

Your "sucks more power" argument might have some credence I expect (in fact the K-r LV is almost usable, and higher res being nicer to look at so will get more usage for sure), but other than owning a K-x as well, the benefit of being able to plug AAs into my K-r as well means same spare batteries carried will fit all cameras and external flashes!

(also I have a cheap AA car-charger, but my K-r supplied charger only runs on mains - making that a no-brainer too.)

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-15-2010 at 02:23 PM.
12-15-2010, 12:49 PM   #6

I do get one 3rd party Li-109 battery for $20 on ebay last week.
Get it charged and put on my K-R. It seems sustain pretty well.
Play with the camera daily but of course not for long and not yet do the second charge yet. I am pretty satisfied since it just a backup battery!
12-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for all your input .

I guess it's too early right now for anyone to have any practical experience with this.

But I really wished Pentax had just adapted use of rechargeable CRV3's.
  • They would not have spent on redesigning the battery compartment
  • They would have realized the long demand to allow rechargeable crv3 (like the demand for the af lights)
  • The users would not need to buy the $$$ adapter/extra proprietary li-ion pack (but that's business I guess).

But I'm not an electronics guy, maybe it's too much hassle, or it would be too heavy
12-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

But I really wished Pentax had just adapted use of rechargeable CRV3's.
  • They would not have spent on redesigning the battery compartment
  • They would have realized the long demand to allow rechargeable crv3 (like the demand for the af lights)
  • The users would not need to buy the $$$ adapter/extra proprietary li-ion pack (but that's business I guess).

But I'm not an electronics guy, maybe it's too much hassle, or it would be too heavy
Good proposal. Does it stand up? I don't really know.

Some matters for concern:

I don't know what redesign your refer to could have been saved? The K-r is a whole new body after all (and RCR-V3 is 3.7v nominal).

If you meant leveraging on K-x specs, then I think the underlying plan that Pentax have there is that K-r is a hybrid with view to phasing out AA batteries altogether, probably in K-r successor. </speculation>
Let's be honest here, K-x isn't exactly reliable with, and is even even bloody downright hostile to some brands/types of AA NiMHs anyway. Yet those same batteries work perfectly in other brand appliances, so who exactly is the problem? No prizes for guessing the answer to that.

RCR-V3's (the rechargeable variant) have not exactly taken off either, adoption-wise in the marketplace.

Plus there are a few issues with them that need be addressed, eg. early tests show them to be a bit gutless even compared to AA NiMH, although some progress might have been made there but they don't seem to match block-type Li-Ion -- things that might not even prove surmountable or be economically feasible.

Regarding end-user expenses for replacements or extra spares; like I posted above eBay copies of the proprietary LiIon are already under 20 bucks for K-r (1400MaH too v's original 1050), and for K-5 owners can be had for under USD10! So even though they're proprietary in size, and cheap RCR-V3s are available, there's still that small weight (and bulk-size for future design-mfgr in comparison), advantage that you mention...

Another cost competitor to RCR-V3 on the market has been throwaway Lithium AAs too, in some places they've got so affordable now that many people disregard all the pollution factors for the convenience.

Plus I think consumers are rightly pissed-off at the amount of batteries we've got to choose from already. (everyone raises hands...)
But maybe if other Camera/appliance toy-makers jumped onto RCR-V3 first, then Pentax would follow. Who knows? Only the marketing gurus have the data and those decisions on their plate.

A reference: (other material out there too)
wrotniak.net: RCR-V3 Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries in

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-15-2010 at 07:08 PM.
12-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Good proposal. Does it stand up? I don't really know.

Some matters for concern:

I don't know what redesign your refer to could have been saved? The K-r is a whole new body after all (and RCR-V3 is 3.7v nominal).

If you meant leveraging on K-x specs, then I think the underlying plan that Pentax have there is that K-r is a hybrid with view to phasing out AA batteries altogether, probably in K-r successor. </speculation>
Let's be honest here, K-x isn't exactly reliable with, and is even even bloody downright hostile to some brands/types of AA NiMHs anyway. Yet those same batteries work perfectly in other brand appliances, so who exactly is the problem? No prizes for guessing the answer to that.

RCR-V3's (the rechargeable variant) have not exactly taken off either, adoption-wise in the marketplace.

Plus there are a few issues with them that need be addressed, eg. early tests show them to be a bit gutless even compared to AA NiMH, although some progress might have been made there but they don't seem to match block-type Li-Ion -- things that might not even prove surmountable or be economically feasible.

Regarding end-user expenses for replacements or extra spares; like I posted above eBay copies of the proprietary LiIon are already under 20 bucks for K-r (1400MaH too v's original 1050), and for K-5 owners can be had for under USD10! So even though they're proprietary in size, and cheap RCR-V3s are available, there's still that small weight (and bulk-size for future design-mfgr in comparison), advantage that you mention...

Another cost competitor to RCR-V3 on the market has been throwaway Lithium AAs too, in some places they've got so affordable now that many people disregard all the pollution factors for the convenience.

Plus I think consumers are rightly pissed-off at the amount of batteries we've got to choose from already. (everyone raises hands...)
But maybe if other Camera/appliance toy-makers jumped onto RCR-V3 first, then Pentax would follow. Who knows? Only the marketing gurus have the data and those decisions on their plate.

A reference: (other material out there too)
wrotniak.net: RCR-V3 Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries in

.R.
Thanks for the detailed info .

I was mainly referring to the battery compartment. But maybe it was cheaper to redesign that than the voltage regulator circuit.

And they would have additional income to li-ion packs and AA adapter.

I would probably get the 3rd party pack, but I'm really interested with the AA performance, if it's worth getting the AA adapter at all. It's not cheap anyway.

Why would I want one? Mainly for the main reasons the proponents for AA power source have:
  • You can get them when in you are in unheard of places
  • Longetivity. The AA will probably outlast the model .

Thanks again
12-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is there a technical reason why the battery has to be shaped like it is? I wonder why they didn't make a li-ion battery larger(/the size of the compartment)? Wouldn't that have resulted in more capacity?

Maybe they are planning on using the same battery in the future in some smaller camera (mirrorless?) which doesn't use AAs? Some of these third party batteries are also marked compatible with Pentax K-2
12-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
Is there a technical reason why the battery has to be shaped like it is? I wonder why they didn't make a li-ion battery larger(/the size of the compartment)? Wouldn't that have resulted in more capacity?

Maybe they are planning on using the same battery in the future in some smaller camera (mirrorless?) which doesn't use AAs? Some of these third party batteries are also marked compatible with Pentax K-2
Good point. The tech reasons could be that a block shape LiIon/LiPo takes far less space in the body, smaller means opening up room for larger other components inside (bigger, cooler sensors? maybe ) , more general air-cooling space for the electronics, whatever else...

Like you suggest, it's only prudent to try and utilize the same battery in multiple models.. however, in the real world good intentions usually fall apart because designers usually find they can get a slightly improved or cheaper part for a next model, only months later. Normal Tech progress forces change.

That all shaves a few more cents off the mfgring cost, which in turn pleases the board by increasing margins per unit, or more usually, simply keeping the company competitive against the opposition!

And of course it would be silly for Mfgrs to fit too-oversized batteries for many reasons, weight, size, safety, cost (initial & replacement), etc. We consumers bitch about those small things and will often buy a competing product or model instead. Less lithium also results in less damage when it spontaneously explodes too. (Ouch!)

Otoh offering the same camera with 2 or 3 optional battery sizes - Netbooks are a good example on this... Might that please some buyers, of high end cameras in particular?

Probably not I'd say, because with Pro cameras battery "Grips" are readily available as an accessory, which also serve dual purpose.

It probably all comes down to the fact that we lowly K-x/K-r owners don't deserve all the good stuff.

.R.

"Floggings will continue until morale improves." -- Some ancient Roman Guard

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-16-2010 at 12:11 AM.