Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k-r and winter... ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Been playing around with my new k-r and am starting to wonder how safe the cold is for it. So far we've not had a day under about -10c, but that will change soon. Haven't had any issues with the camera outside yet, though my fingers have about frozen off a couple times. After bringing it inside (house can be from 18c to 22c) the lens will fog up a bit, but will clear up eventually.

Any advice for using the k-r in winter, and also specifically for keeping it safe after it's been brought back inside. I've been bringing it right from outside and putting it in one of the colder rooms in the house for a while. Then I'll move it to my computer room for a few minutes, and then I'm comfortable using it. For now, that's the best I've come up with. Don't have any silica gel at the moment, or even a camera bag.

12-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Read "Precautions on Carrying and Using Your Camera". Should be around page 3.

• Do not subject the camera to high temperatures or high humidity. Do not leave the
camera in a vehicle, as the temperature can get very high.
•• Do not subject the camera to strong vibrations, shocks, or pressure. Use a cushion to
protect the camera from vibrations of motorcycles, automobiles, or ships.
•• The temperature range for camera use is 0°C to 40°C (32°F to 104°F).
•• The monitor may appear black at high temperatures, but will return to normal at
normal temperatures.
•• The monitor may respond more slowly at low temperatures. This is due to liquid
crystal properties, and is not a malfunction.
•• Sudden temperature changes will cause condensation on the inside and outside of
the camera. Place the camera in your bag or a plastic bag, and remove the camera
after temperature of the camera and surroundings are equalized.
•• Avoid contact with garbage, mud, sand, dust, water, toxic gases, or salts. These could
cause the camera to breakdown. Wipe dry any rain or water drops on the camera.
•• Please do not press forcefully on the monitor. This could cause it to break or
malfunction.
•• Be careful not to overtighten the screw in the tripod socket when using a tripod.
12-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have read the manual, and see that it says 0c - 40c, but I know I've read many people saying that below 0c is fine for a while as long as you're careful. How long is it safe to stay outside below 0c? I'm just wondering how other k-r owners are finding its performance in cold weather. Has anyone had the cold cause a serious camera problem? How long should I keep the camera in a bag after I bring it back inside before I use it?
12-18-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used a K-x outside in ~20F weather for more than an hour without any problems. You will want to use Lithium batteries because cold temps drain NiMH batteries quickly. The big problem is quick temperature changes causing condensation.

12-18-2010, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Cold in itself should not harm the camera or lenses; they might not work as well, especially the batteries tend to lose capacity, disposable lithium batteries should be practically immune to this, so if there is a problem with the stock li-ion these with an adapter should work. The back lcd may get slow updating its contents, but no permanent harm in that either. Water vapor in the air will condense on / in the camera and lenses when these are brought back inside. This might be a problem which can be solved by slipping the camera and lens in a large enough ziplock bag and sealing that before bringing them back inside. The bag should be kept sealed until the contents have warmed to close to room temperature.
12-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
Forum Member

used k-r under -10 -15Cº but havent seen a problem besides slow responding lcd outside. when i took it inside (20Cº) i have seen some vapor on the lens, on both rear and front glass so i dispatched it from body n let it stay without caps for a little time
but i dont suggest using the camera at low temperatures. as stated above it can cause some harm ( u might be unlucky to get water marks on ur rear glass, which u cant really clean)
12-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #7

Used K-r about zero degree Celsius for several times and found out that it works flawleslly - only the frest NiMh AA go red after about half an hour of nomal use. Having used K-x before this is quite different behaviour.

Yesterday I went out with a friend, we had same brand & capacity NiMh. Her K-x batt gauge was orange before we went out into the cold. Mine were freshly chargen and green. After 1 hour outside her batteries went red and mine too. After using LV for a shot mine came back to orange.

I think this is a AA battery issue due to the cold. I've ordered a second Li-Ion battery and will explore the performance with that type of batteries.

cheers,
d

12-19-2010, 06:29 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Water vapor in the air will condense on / in the camera and lenses when these are brought back inside. This might be a problem which can be solved by slipping the camera and lens in a large enough ziplock bag and sealing that before bringing them back inside. The bag should be kept sealed until the contents have warmed to close to room temperature.
Very good advice. Get in the habit of carrying a large gallon size zip lock bag. I usually get much of the air out of the bag as well, and for good measure I usually put a silica gel desiccant bag in the baggie as well.

Please see: How to prevent condensation in camera / lens? What cause it? - Photo.net Nikon Forum

Hope the link works.
12-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #9

Вчера снимал при -20С. Можете посмотреть Òåñòîâûå ñíèìêè Pentax K-r - Kolyda - Ó÷àñòíèêè - Ôîòîãàëåðåÿ iXBT Камеру спрятал в мешек и держал в тепле 2 часа. Никаких повреждений не замечено.
12-20-2010, 07:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I was taking shots for an hour or so at at least -15/-20 Celsius. Kept it in the cold camera bag I had it out in when I got home so it warmed up slow. No problems at all.

Last edited by Deimos; 12-20-2010 at 07:15 AM.
12-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
I think this is a AA battery issue due to the cold. I've ordered a second Li-Ion battery and will explore the performance with that type of batteries.
Other posters here familiar with batteries tech, as well as Pentax literature I've read, confirm that lithium easily blows the proverbials off AA NiMH or alkaline for endurance under severe cold conditions.

Don't live in such a cold climate myself and have affinity with AA too (1x K-x plus 2x external Flashes use the size, as well as usual other stuff around the place), and intended to acquire a AA holder for my K-r for backups, except on finding the price for it was comparative to the cost of 2x spare Li-Ion from this eBay source, so placed the order and now waiting delivery:
Battery for Pentax D-LI109 DLI109 39066 K-R KR Digital - eBay (item 180599468000 end time Jan-10-11 00:53:38 PST)

Hoping the 7.2v @ 1,400mAh v/s 7.4v @ 1,050mAh of the original Pentax type doesn't create any adverse effect, and they operate and last for reasonable time.

The original K-r battery appears to be standing up far better than AAs ever have in the K-x too. 300+ activations plus a few in-cam Sensor-shake cleans and it's still fully 'green icon' charged so far. Only wish someone would make a Li-Ion adapter for the old K-x now! (and why not Li blocks in flashes too?)

.R.
12-24-2010, 02:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

i can't speak for the k-r, as i don't own one, but years ago i used my k100d (also non weather sealed) in cold temperatures for long periods of time (above 2000m, winter, trekking, so hours on end in the cold), including long exposures at night. no problems with the batteries (nimh, not even eneloops), no problems with the camera. the thing about "0 and above" is mostly arbitrary imho for digital cameras, they can take bellow zero temperatures easily. the other advice on here, about condensation and such, is obviously very wise
12-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #13

Summertime problem in Florida

During the summer, going from the air conditioning to the outside humidity leads to condensation on the lens. One can mitigate it somewhat, but is there any damage that occurs (other than having to wait a few moments before using the camera)?
12-24-2010, 08:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
During the summer, going from the air conditioning to the outside humidity leads to condensation on the lens. One can mitigate it somewhat, but is there any damage that occurs (other than having to wait a few moments before using the camera)?
If it evaporates in a few moments, probably not. The ziplock bag should work in this scerario too. This is about the camera/lens being colder than the air that surrounds it, hence the air in the immediate proximity gets cooled. Cold air can hold less water vapor than warm and provided there is more water in the warm air than what it can hold once it gets colder the excess condenses to liquid water; this is why a glass containing a cold drink gets misty.
12-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Or just bring a camera bag out with you (whether it is hot or cold) and then keep the camera sealed in the outside temp camera bag when you go inside allowing for a slow temp change