Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
New to Pentax and DSLR

I'll be getting a new Black Pentax K-r 18-55 and 55-300 kit next week and was wondering what if any problems do most people encounter with this camera. Also any tips or hints that might make assimilation easier because i only have a basic understanding. Thanks

12-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Read the manual.
Seriously, it is very helpful
12-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First congratulations for your purchase. You will enjoy it.

The K-r is a fairly new camera and you should read the K-r forum for any insight. I have not read many negative, although I do not have a K-r.

Pablom is most right in his advice to read the instruction manual. The K-r is a dSLR, not a P&S. Unless you read the instruction manual, you will not get the most from your dSLR.

You will find a lot of good advice in the main "Pentax DSLR Discussion" section of this Forum. Many issues and advice are common to all Pentax dSLR incl. L-r, K-x, K-5, K-7, K20D...
12-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob21 Quote
I'll be getting a new Black Pentax K-r 18-55 and 55-300 kit next week and was wondering what if any problems do most people encounter with this camera. Also any tips or hints that might make assimilation easier because i only have a basic understanding. Thanks
Congrats on your purchase! 18-55 and 55-300 are very good lenses and they will make you happy for a long period of time! Most common problem with the K-r is the frontfocus issue in dim tungsten light. However I could not reproduce this problem with my K-r.

You can use your K-r in the same fashion as you would use an film SLR. You can start shooting JPEGs and as your demand and experience grow you can switch to shoot RAW.

The supplied camera manual is a decent reference to the camera itself (although some fields are not covered good enough, for example focusing methods during LV), but the manual cannot be a reference to deeper understanding digital photography. If you want to learn the basics and never used a film SLR before go and get a good book on this topic.

cheers,
d

12-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I purchased a K-x with the same kit lenses as you a month or so ago. I to was a first time DSLR user and I was brand new to photography to boot. I was pretty overwhelmed by all the settings on the camera at first. Luckily I purchased "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson shortly after getting the camera. In the book he recommends going manual or using the Tv, Av modes. That in a sense simplified things for me. Not that it made photography easy, but at least I had less to worry about in terms of learning how to use all the various modes on the camera.

+1 on reading the manual.

Have a great time with your K-r.
12-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm a radiographer so I know photographic concepts. Radiography and Photography are essentially the same with different settings if you will.I think I've developed this interest because of the profession I am getting into. Thanks for the incite everyone. Also Hood lenses do you buy the cheap generic or Pentax brand? If you have experience with generic how do the work?
12-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob21 Quote
Also Hood lenses do you buy the cheap generic or Pentax brand? If you have experience with generic how do the work?
If you mean the lens hoods that can be found on ebay, then IMHO they work as well as the Pentax branded hoods. Here are the hoods for the two lens kit with the 55-300mm lens.

PH-RBA 52mm Lens Hood for PENTAX DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL - eBay (item 220699500381 end time Dec-20-10 03:45:25 PST)

Lens Hood f Pentax SMCP-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 PH-RBG 58mm - eBay (item 280581538171 end time Dec-27-10 09:54:36 PST)