Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

problem with Vivitar 50mm lens

I'm having this problem with my manual 50mm f1.7 Vivitar lens on the K-r, it only shot once. But the Vivitar worked well on my older K100D Super, and the K-r worked well with my other manual lenses though (Pentax, Albinar, Soligor)... any idea what went wrong ?

Sonnie F.

12-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Could you describe the problem a little more. I don't understand what is wrong.
12-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
once the vivitar is mounted on the K-r body, everything seems normal, but when I have this first shot, it seems like the shutter or the mirror is stucked and after that, when I pressed any button or turn the top dial or the edial, the K-r seems to try to shot again, but it failed, like something is stucked in there.
12-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What mount is it?

12-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Does the aperture snap open and closed when you move the tab on the back of the lens? Take a picture of the Vivitar lens mount and post it here. There may be something bent or broken.
12-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
as far as I know, it's K mount, it is working well on my K100DS, the aperture snapped normally when I move the tab on the back... I guess it has something to do with the mirror, the view in the viewfinder seems to shift position when I tried to shoot, and continue to change position when other buttons or dialer is activated.
Attached Images

Last edited by sonnief; 12-21-2010 at 09:06 AM.
12-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't see anything glaring wrong looking at the picture. You say this works on the K100Ds, and not on the K-R. That's strange. Does the K-R work with other manual lenses? If it was my K-R, I would not use this lens until things get resolved. You might do something bad to the K-R if there is a binding in the mirror as you say. I will test my K-R with a manual lens after Christmas (as the K-R is wrapped up, under the tree now) and see if it does the same. I have a 28mm and a 50mm to try, but not the same as yours. I will post back.
12-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your lens looks like a normal K-mount. At least from this angle.

Usually on cameras with mirror/lens compatibility problems the mirror hits the rear element when the lens is focused at infinity. How much the rear element protrudes
into the camera @infinity?

Was the lens attached properly? Are you sure it didn't lock on to one of the screw holes on the mount? Was the aperture index at 12 o'clock?

The black collar around the rear element looks a bit thick but I had look at my some of my third party K-mount lenses and some of them have a collar just as thick so I don't think thats the culprit here.

12-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have the problem you described with this lens. There does not appear to be anything physically wrong with the lens you showed in the picture.

Can you explain exactly what happens when you use this lens? Does the camera operate normally with other lenses, manual and automatic?

--DragonLord
12-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I see a plastic guard to protect the the aperture lever in the photo you posted. The angle of the shot does not show it well. I know some older lenses had a guard that was too big and the mirror would hit it. The guard must be cut to a smaller size to allow the lens to work on a DSLR. You said the lens works on a K100D. Compare the size of the guard on this lens to the other manual lens that does work. Are they the same size? That is the only thing I can think of. I know that would imply that the mirror on the K-R moves closer to the lens than the K100D mirror. I tried my new K-R with manual lenses today and it worked fine, but I don't have the same lens as you.