Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which 18-55?

I've been looking around but can't (yet) find online which 18-55 comes in the Kr kit. The Kx had the not-quite-as-good DA L 18-55. Can anybody tell me what 18-55 version is in the Kr kit? Thanks,
Brian

12-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Forum Member

It's the same DA L version I believe. The optics are the same as the DA, it just has a plastic mount and no quickshift.
12-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tomzee93 Quote
It's the same DA L version I believe. The optics are the same as the DA, it just has a plastic mount and no quickshift.
That's right, DA L. As above and no hood either, and no focus length numbering around the barrel.
Light, cheap, fast, sharp, and basically just does what it says on the tin.

.R.
12-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
and there are the different specs and ratings...

Tomzee93, Hypocorism, then here's another a point of confusion. Is the latest version then the same as the original version with 12 elements in 9 groups with 1 aspherical element, but stripped of some features? Or is it the same as the 18-55 II/WR versions with 11 elements in 8 groups, but without some features? If so, which PF lens database rating is closest to the mark -- the original 18-55 @ 7.34, the 18-55 II @ 8.18, or, the 18-55wr @ 7.74? The consensus seems to be that the WR is identical to the 18-55 II with weather sealing added, but for some reason it's rated lower than the II, so I'm assuming the WR rating is closer to the rating for the stripped Kr kit version? .
Brian

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 12-20-2010 at 11:15 PM.
12-20-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

And I guess the ratings are very subjective.

How can you give a kit lens a 10? If you are very happy with it, I assume. Or if you don't know better.

But what would one give a FA Limited in that case. Also a 10 because one is very happy with it? Or a 20 because you already rated the kit lens as 10 and find that the FA Ltd is better
12-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Tomzee93, Hypocorism, then here's another a point of confusion. Is the latest version then the same as the original version with 12 elements in 9 groups with 1 aspherical element, but stripped of some features? Or is it the same as the 18-55 II/WR versions with 11 elements in 8 groups, but without some features?

If so, which PF lens database rating is closest to the mark -- the original 18-55 @ 7.34, the 18-55 II @ 8.18, or, the 18-55wr @ 7.74? The consensus seems to be that the WR is identical to the 18-55 II with weather sealing added, but for some reason it's rated lower than the II, so I'm assuming the WR rating is closer to the rating for the stripped Kr kit version? .
Brian
Good questions Brian. I noticed just a few days ago in fact that the PF specs database on this site doesn't appear to show the DA L as a version "II" (in the pic), also the brand new one I received in a new K-r kit 7 just days ago wasn't marked "II" anywhere around its barrel. Looks same as the above pic.

So to be honest, I just trust that it's Pentax's latest optics design, II. (11x8x6b)
I also have a version, or 'Mark I' too Btw, and its main differences being that it shows DA (no L) insignia, and does have Quick Shift, a hood, plus focus length markings. So obviously an oldie.
That original I optics design (12x9x6b) was supposed to have been discontinued around 2008 though. I actually bought the thing s/h a few mths ago, in near perfect condition.

OK, counting the glass innards is not exactly a practical exercise just now but this should sort the rotten things out.

Here's the Serial Nbr's, AND the bare (no caps or hoods) respective weights of each, and their relevant PF lens Db reference links:

1. DA (I) with QS, and metal K-mount, = 222g = SN. 5776594 (Assembled in Vietnam).
PF Db ref: SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

2. DA L (II?) new, plastic K-mount, = 200g = SN. 5189630 (Assembled in Vietnam).
PF Db ref: SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

From that I think we could safety assume that a current new DA L kit lens contains the lighter 11x8 (II) optics set. And the weight diff for the aluminium mount and QS ls-clutch would be so close to trivial it doesn't matter really.
(My kitchen scales are pretty accurate Btw)

Now as for Image Quality differences between the two I can see stuff all, but I'm no pixel peeping Xspurt.

Hope that helps.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-21-2010 at 12:51 AM.
12-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sterretje, I agree about the ratings although I've come to put more trust in the consensus view from Pentax users on this forum more than a lot of allegedly impartial review sites. I get more out of the comments than the actual review numbers, however, and when several Pentax veterans praise or pan a feature, I give that a lot of weight. On a personal level, I sometimes forget to compare like types, so I have to fight the inclination to to expect the same IQ from 35mm on the 18-55 as the 16-50, much less a basic prime like the new 35 f/2.4.
Brian
12-21-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hypocorism, thanks for the added feedback. By the way, how is that new Kr working out for you?
Brian

12-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I only gave my view on the ratings because you mentioned them
12-21-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hypocorism, thanks for the added feedback. By the way, how is that new Kr working out for you?
Brian
Hope it helps your decision. Re: the K-r, I like it a lot and not unhappy I chose it over a 60D or K-5, although slowly finding need to reprogram myself with it - more than I expected.

Had a K-x since around April so just got fairly familiar with that, and for whatever reason expected the K-r was just a basic upgrade, piece of cake. Big mistake!

Sheesh, as well as some added menu item features I'm now discovering some subtle behaviour seems to have been changed from its predecessor, so the thing's became a new ball game.
We end users can never win, can we?

Still all the improvements made over K-x are welcome here, albeit few other minor things I'd really like so IMhO still not the perfect low cost camera but.. almost there, for sure.

Are you intending to get one soon?

.R.
12-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
.R. I'm looking at the Kx because they are such a bargain right now and the Sony a33 that uses the same sensor but offers that interesting translucent mirror technology with real time info in the viewfinder.
B.
12-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Good questions Brian. I noticed just a few days ago in fact that the PF specs database on this site doesn't appear to show the DA L as a version "II" (in the pic), also the brand new one I received in a new K-r kit 7 just days ago wasn't marked "II" anywhere around its barrel. Looks same as the above pic.

So to be honest, I just trust that it's Pentax's latest optics design, II. (11x8x6b)
I also have a version, or 'Mark I' too Btw, and its main differences being that it shows DA (no L) insignia, and does have Quick Shift, a hood, plus focus length markings. So obviously an oldie.
That original I optics design (12x9x6b) was supposed to have been discontinued around 2008 though. I actually bought the thing s/h a few mths ago, in near perfect condition.
As I understand it, the 18-55 DA L and the 18-55 WR both, by definition, use the II optics design. The sequence was, version I < version II < WR/DA L , where the final model change meant that kits leaving Pentax from then on would contain either WR or DA L versions, never version II. (However, I have heard of individual retailers shipping cameras with version II or even version I lenses that they had lying around . . . but by now the version Is should be pretty much dried up.)

I will note in passing that my only complaint about the lens database here is that it can be difficult at times to know exactly which _version_ of a lens a page, or an individual reviewer, is referring to . . .
12-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
.R. I'm looking at the Kx because they are such a bargain right now and the Sony a33 that uses the same sensor but offers that interesting translucent mirror technology with real time info in the viewfinder.
B.
The question is, do you want an optical viewfinder, or electronic? If you want optical, go Pentax, and if you want electronic, go Sony. And, as a related matter, if you have a major interest in video, Sony might be better-optimized than Pentax . . .