Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #1

K-r and lenses with stabilizer?

A K-r newbie is wondering here:
Is there anything special using K-r with a lens that has an optical stabilizer in it?
For example Sigma 17-70 mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM.

Will I be able to choose whether the body's or lense's stabilizer is in use, or maybe both of them (doesn't sound reasonable though...)?
Or if I disable the body's SR, will I still be able to utilize the lense's stabilizer and vice versa?

12-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, you can choose to disable the K-r 's body's SR and use the Sigma OS or the other way around. Do not use both at the same time or they will cancel each other out.
12-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Basten Quote
A K-r newbie is wondering here:
Is there anything special using K-r with a lens that has an optical stabilizer in it?
For example Sigma 17-70 mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM.

Will I be able to choose whether the body's or lense's stabilizer is in use, or maybe both of them (doesn't sound reasonable though...)?
Or if I disable the body's SR, will I still be able to utilize the lense's stabilizer and vice versa?
Like jusfun21 said, you can disable (but not turn Off) the inbuilt shake reduction.
(It's inherent tech means you can't turn it Off, the sensor 'floats in its electro-magnetic space' from Power Up stage - that's why Pentax cameras sometimes "rattle". No, do NOT try this at home! You'll hear it naturally occur sometimes, it's normal. )

But I wouldn't even worry about it, just put the lens on and use it. The camera and the lens will do what's needed and appropriate, like is done for current settings applied (eg. when user enables HDR, camera auto-disables SR. etc).

I think it often pays to trust these big companies who make these things to be interoperable by design.
And RTFM (when all else fails...) In Sigma's own words:

Ref: Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd
//
Sigma’s own unique OS technology
The lens is equipped with Sigma’s own unique OS function. This system allows
the photographer to use shutter speeds approximately 4 stops slower. For Sony
and Pentax mounts, the built-in OS function of this lens can be used even if
the camera body is equipped with an anti-shake function. As compensation for
camera shake is visible in the view finder, the photographer can easily check
for accurate focus and ensure there is no subject movement.

*It is not possible to use the built-in OS function of this lens when using
with Pentax ist* series and K100D DSLR cameras.
\\

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-22-2010 at 08:49 AM.
12-31-2010, 06:21 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! Just wanted to be sure before spending any money for the hardware that might not be compatible...

And Happy New Year to all!