Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadof4 Quote
I received the replacement for my K-R today. It is much better (and I mean much better!) at focusing then the old one. In incandescent lighting the old one would not focus well at a -10 setting. In natual light it's focus was also off. With the new one at -5 it's great in incandesent lighting, so I've still got room to play. It's also spot on in natual lighting with the camera's focus adjustment turned off. The new one's serial number is about four thousand higher than the original.

I am no longer questioning my purchase.
Happy to hear this...would you mind posting the SN (with the appropiate x-out of course)?

01-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
Happy to hear this...would you mind posting the SN (with the appropiate x-out of course)?
The new one is 3833xxx - I don't know if the old one was defective of just needed major calibration. Given I had it for less than 30 days I elected to take the replacement route versus sending it off to Pentax service for four weeks. I'm glad I did.
01-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadof4 Quote
The new one is 3833xxx - I don't know if the old one was defective of just needed major calibration. Given I had it for less than 30 days I elected to take the replacement route versus sending it off to Pentax service for four weeks. I'm glad I did.
Thanks. I just received mine and will compare the numbers.
01-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sending my camera and my 18-55, 55-300 and A series 50 1.4 to get calibrated to pentax service center as per pentax online chat help. I've experienced front focus issues while using manual focus according to focus indicators. -10 af adjustment helped but still was not enough to compensate. I tested in both natural and tungsten lighting. I also updated to latest 1.01 firmware and that obviously didn't help. If they allowed a wider af adjustments in the menu(+/-20), then I wouldn't be sending my equipment away. I just though I'd share this with everyone on here. Wish me luck on my waiting period. BTW I purchased 18-55/55-300 K-r $749.99 at amazon.com! Instead of returning I'd rather deal with Pentax and have them calibrate to my lenses and see how they are with repairing under warranty.

01-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
I'm sending my camera and my 18-55, 55-300 and A series 50 1.4 to get calibrated to pentax service center as per pentax online chat help. I've experienced front focus issues while using manual focus according to focus indicators. -10 af adjustment helped but still was not enough to compensate. I tested in both natural and tungsten lighting. I also updated to latest 1.01 firmware and that obviously didn't help. If they allowed a wider af adjustments in the menu(+/-20), then I wouldn't be sending my equipment away. I just though I'd share this with everyone on here. Wish me luck on my waiting period. BTW I purchased 18-55/55-300 K-r $749.99 at amazon.com! Instead of returning I'd rather deal with Pentax and have them calibrate to my lenses and see how they are with repairing under warranty.
boy... am i sorry to here this story....
i was ready to buy a k-r... but since the firmware 1.01 did not resolve these issues... just gotta wait for a new, non problematic bunch to be sent to retailers, and hopefully these will be focus problem free.....
here's also hoping that pentax will act quickly to resolve this very BIG problem!!
dave m
01-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
I seem to be in the same boat. I got the same deal at Amazon. I just did some testing with my new K-R and my FA 50/1.4 -- the K-R's serial number is 3866XXX so it should be a newer batch. It seems to be front-focusing in both natural and tungsten light. With a -10 adjustment it's almost close to perfect -- I think a -12 would be right on the dot. I'm not sure it's worth it to send everything (I have a lot of lenses) in to get calibrated when it's so close though?
01-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I anxiously look forward to reading about your calibration results after sending things to Pentax. I'm hesitant to go through calibration because I don't know enough about the actual process.

Let's say my lens is out of spec and causing front focusing. Might the technician accidentally calibrate my camera to match the lens instead of fixing the lens? That could fix the focus for now, but then each new lens I buy might have back focus issues.

I only notice the problem under tungsten light, and I can work around it by changing WB from auto to tungsten. The front focus in my camera (and some other K-Rs and K-5s) seems related to color temperature. I hope we'll eventually see a firmware fix.

(That $749.99 K-R plus 2 lenses deal at Amazon was great. That's how I got mine, too.)
01-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another reason to send the camera in...

I'm going to send in my camera and lenses soon because I've experienced another problem with the camera body. See Loss of tactile feedback in some buttons.

--DragonLord

01-17-2011, 03:28 AM   #24

I appear to have a camera with this issue -

The serial number is 3810xxxx which is much lower than the one mentioned above. Was there a problem with an early batch?
01-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #25
Banned

People, why you don't attach pictures with your AF test results? I'm very curious to see if my K-r has that issues.
01-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
People, why you don't attach pictures with your AF test results? I'm very curious to see if my K-r has that issues.
If you haven't already stumbled across this thread, I have photos where I force an AF problem and show how changing white balance from "auto" to "tungsten" corrects it.

The fix works on my KR and some others that AF well in other lighting types. DragonLord's original post mentions problems in all lighting types so some cameras might have a bigger AF issue.

Photos attached: Might the front focus issue be a white balance problem?

01-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Mine has been with C.R.I.S. for three weeks now. I'm strongly considering just selling it and getting a K-5 if it doesn't come back greatly improved. It sucks though, it did take great pictures.
01-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #28

Received my K-r last week and was able to use it this weekend for a party at our house. All lighting was indoors. When I finally looked at the pictures today, I could tell there was a severe front focusing issue. Sending back to Amazon for a replacement as I do enjoy using the camera. Serial number is 3833xxx
01-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #29

My Kr is dead on right out of the box I guess I got a good one! How does Pentax stay in business with so many bad cameras, I see alot of these threads on other sites also ,Canon also seems to make bad cameras. Maybe just maybe it's the operator?
01-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by bigal1000 Quote
My Kr is dead on right out of the box I guess I got a good one! How does Pentax stay in business with so many bad cameras, I see alot of these threads on other sites also ,Canon also seems to make bad cameras. Maybe just maybe it's the operator?
I'm glad that you have a camera that works. That's slendid. For some of us, this is an issue. I took around 50 shots on Saturday and only 10% of those actually focused correctly and are usable pictures. Even set at -10 for focus correction, pictures are not focusing correctly.