Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

What Cable for Connecting K-R to HDTV?

I would like to connect my K-R to my new HDTV to show pics and play video direct from the camera. However, my TV does not have a USB port. It has the standard RCA style inputs, as well as HDMI inputs. Can someone point me to the right cable to use for this purpose? Thanks!

12-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's usually the yellow RCA plug on the TV. The red and white go to the audio inputs. Normally the RCA cable comes with the camera. Don't know if the K-r does HDMI, but even if so, you'll probably need to buy that cable.
12-25-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
I would like to connect my K-R to my new HDTV to show pics and play video direct from the camera. However, my TV does not have a USB port. It has the standard RCA style inputs, as well as HDMI inputs. Can someone point me to the right cable to use for this purpose? Thanks!
As you'd probably know the right cable (Pentax style) is not included in the box.
Page 244 et al of the K-r manual gives the part Nbr. I-AVC7, and Adorama has it listed below at a fairly reasonable USB9.95
39552 Pentax I-AVC7, AV Interface Cable for the Optio Digital Cameras.
Trouble is, it's not available from mfgr yet, at this time of posting.

But wait, there's more... It doesn't stop there.
Playing back through the camera is a, Yuk! painful enough user exercise because of the obvious:
1. You have to be within the Camera>>TV cable's length to control the presentation, presumably approx 1 metre, and;
2. Camera controls and their playback internal s/w are pretty medieval, at best. An exercise in flagellation.
3. It will suck batteries to death in short time so not exactly a practical or fulfilling experience for the presenter, or their co-viewers.

So that leads to needing an external AC power pack. Pentax part nbr. K-AC109 here:
K-AC109 - Adorama.com
And again not in stock yet, with no estimated... either.

Even so, USD9.95 + USD79.95 isn't exactly chicken feed, all for a less-than-ideal result that you might want to reuse/do often as a family thing.

Alternatives? Yes, thankfully. IMhO there are other, much better ways to do this and for similar expense outlay to the above. You have a TV with HDMI so obviously flat panel, decent picture, and that's a good start.

1. Being a bit PC savvy I (currently) use my Netbook for media playback to TV - any Notebook or Netbook has the facilities inbuilt, you just need to buy generic cables of any reqd length to connect PC>>TV, then plug your Card into PC and use your preferred s/w. Naturally with computer you get more powerful and flexible control over the playback, and the good s/w is free(ware) anyway.
(Most desktop PCs are also equipped and capable for this too.)

2. Another tidier, compact option I like to deploy for non PC savvy friends is one of those inexpensive Media Players. Very small, c/w remote control, and they literally play (almost) everything - Movies, Music, Still Pics, all common formats at full HD over HDMI (some have Composite and-or Component ports too).
With 1 or 2 USB 2.0 ports to connect your Sticks or Cards, or portable HDs containing all you media, and the inbuilt playback software, all Menu/Icons driven, is so very dedicated and family friendly to use, all via its supplied remote.
Can also get models of these that will wire/wireless playback any media from your Home network too.

Hope that helps.
If interested further on this, just fire away and I'll try and supply the info.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-25-2010 at 02:09 AM.
12-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax site says the cable is in stock:

PentaxWebstore AV Cable I-AVC7

Unfortunately, it appears the K-r, like the K-x, has no HDMI output.

12-25-2010, 02:05 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Like Hypocorism already explained, there's no option to transport the digital signal from K-r to a TV-set, because K-r has no HDMI-out. If you insist to display the camera content on a external screen the only way to go is analogue. You will need a cable with RCA/proprietary plugs, my old K-20D cable did work.

Because the controls and quality of the analogue signal transfer are limited the best option for playing back the content is an media player with SD-card reader. These players can read still images (except RAW) and video. They have HDMI and more sophisticated presentation options.

cheers,
d
12-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for the great replies! Hypocorism, thanks for the detailed response... this is exactly what I needed!
12-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
Thank you all so much for the great replies! Hypocorism, thanks for the detailed response... this is exactly what I needed!
Just a warning if you intend to consider one of those small Media Players.

Any of them would render and display your Jpeg (still pics great), so no dramas there.
Movies are different though. Pentax cameras capture video in the MJPEG (Motion Jpeg) format, and package it in an .AVI wrapper. Critical matter to consider!
Motion JPEG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All well and good? Well, maybe.. A computer is fully configurable by the user, you can always load different software (like codecs in this case) needed if it fails to playback something not within its default native capacity. But...

Not so easy with dedicated devices like those M.Players, cute & handy as they are you are relying on its mfgr supplied fixed 'firmware' to playback all the types of media formats that you might want to use.
And sadly the archaic MJPEG (albeit still used by some cameras) is one vid format that's not commonly supported in some brands or models of these otherwise perfectly handy devices. Sure some Mfgrs issue firmware updates that might provide extra formats support, sometimes... just don't hold your breath.

So I'd advise to do your homework and if interested in a certain one, ensure you ask the seller to guarantee it will do what you need.
In basic terms that is:
"It must playback MJPEG format video in .AVI file (wrapper), Also JPEG still photos -- by reading the files off an SD-Card plugged in directly to its own USB ports."
Also it should (read: must - for better quality) connect to your HD-TV via HDMI.

One that I think might fill the bill is this Apple TV unit, although I can't find if the USB port on it allows playback, or is only there for upgrading firmware ??
Amazon.com: Apple TV MC572LL/A (2010): Electronics
Please do your research on that before any committing.

Also Fwiw: Amazon had lots more to choose from below, but you'd have to sort out the ones that can actually do the MJPEG video format.
Else it would only serve for your Jpeg pics from the camera (personal pix do look very nice on big screen though!) plus other compatible media files you might have around. (downloads, etc.)

Amazon.com: Media Players: Electronics

FYI: The WD HD (Western Digital) models will not do Mjpeg, I already checked the web for peer feedbacks on it. Pity because they're an OK designed reliable, basic player for most common media types otherwise.

Good luck putting together your new Home Theater! It can provide lots of entertainment fun, trust me.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-25-2010 at 10:46 AM.
12-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #8

I just tried, it does work with the wdtv live. I used the memory card in a card reader because my cable is too far

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
FYI: The WD HD (Western Digital) models will not do Mjpeg, I already checked the web for peer feedbacks on it. Pity because they're an OK designed reliable, basic player for most common media types otherwise.

12-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finger Quote
I just tried, it does work with the wdtv live. I used the memory card in a card reader because my cable is too far
Thanks Finger, for the confirmation of that. I had read that a certain (recent) firmware update for the Live-only model made MJPEG possible although other comments said not for theirs. ? Hence the caution.

Fwiw; Don't have a Live model myself but might consider getting one now (if WD can now play the Subtitle types idx/sub I need to), it's currently selling discounted in my local region too.

.R.