Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

Manual lens on Pentax K-r

Hi Experts, I'm new to DSLR and Pentax as well. I've purchased a K-r and few manual lens, like Takumar 135mm f2.5, Miranda 28mm f2.8 macro, Pentax 28mm prime lens. Can anybody suggest what best results i'll get with these manual lens. Also,i'm getting confused about the two 28mm macro and 28mm prime lens. Can I get the same results with the above two lens? Can I use the macro lens for landscape photography?I'd greatly appreciable if anybody can let me know the guidelines with manual lenses on DSLR.
Best regards and Marry X'Mass to all of you,
Vass.

12-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vass Quote
Also,i'm getting confused about the two 28mm macro and 28mm prime lens. Can I get the same results with the above two lens? Can I use the macro lens for landscape photography?
Vass.
These two lenses will give similar results. I don't own either one, so I won't comment on Image Quality (IQ). Macro lenses normally will focus to infinity, so yes, you can use the Miranda for landscape work. Most of these older 28mm lenses seem to be good, I guess it isn't a difficult lens to design. You can check the lens database here for reviews. Enjoy your new camera, I get to try mine today,hopefully it is OK.
12-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Experts, I'm new to DSLR and Pentax as well. I've purchased a K-r and few manual lens, like Takumar 135mm f2.5, Miranda 28mm f2.8 macro, Pentax 28mm prime lens. Can anybody suggest what best results i'll get with these manual lens. Also,i'm getting confused about the two 28mm macro and 28mm prime lens. Can I get the same results with the above two lens? Can I use the macro lens for landscape photography?I'd greatly appreciable if anybody can let me know the guidelines with manual lenses on DSLR.
I'm no expert and have little interest in old or manual lenses. So can only suggest, have you tried looking those ones up in the resident Lens Database here?
Under "LENSES" on the Menu above - it seems fairly extensive and helpful for reference, c/w peer reviews too, so might be worth a look.

And being a Pentax captive I also keep this old site in my bookmarks:
Brief Comments

Hope you're able to coax some useful bedtime reading from all that.

.R.
12-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
These two lenses will give similar results. I don't own either one, so I won't comment on Image Quality (IQ). Macro lenses normally will focus to infinity, so yes, you can use the Miranda for landscape work. Most of these older 28mm lenses seem to be good, I guess it isn't a difficult lens to design. You can check the lens database here for reviews. Enjoy your new camera, I get to try mine today,hopefully it is OK.
Thanks for your response. I'm still in the same confusion like, the DOF factor in Macro and a prime(for a given focal length, say 50mm). In my understand, macro photography means, distance less than a feet.But i couldn't understand the lens like 135mm macro etc.!
Cheers,
Vass

12-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
I'm no expert and have little interest in old or manual lenses. So can only suggest, have you tried looking those ones up in the resident Lens Database here?
Under "LENSES" on the Menu above - it seems fairly extensive and helpful for reference, c/w peer reviews too, so might be worth a look.

And being a Pentax captive I also keep this old site in my bookmarks:
Brief Comments

Hope you're able to coax some useful bedtime reading from all that.

.R.
Thanks for your inputs and yes! Your suggestion really helped a lot(The lens database). Thanks for letting me know about that.
Cheers,
Vass.
12-26-2010, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

You should most definitely read this tutorial.
12-26-2010, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

the miranda 28mm is not a macro lens, never mind that it says so. it's something that third party lens manufacturers like to put on lenses to sell more of them but it probably won't focus any closer then your Pentax 28mm.
most chances are that it's probably not even made by the original Miranda but by someone who bought the name after Miranda effectively ceased to be. I wouldn't bother with it, the Pentax is excellent.

12-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for your response. I'm still in the same confusion like, the DOF factor in Macro and a prime(for a given focal length, say 50mm). In my understand, macro photography means, distance less than a feet.But i couldn't understand the lens like 135mm macro etc.!
Cheers,
Vass
Macro means focusing very close, so close a ratio is usually used to describe it, like 1 to 1, which means that for a subject that is 2 centimeters long, an image is projected onto the sensor that is 2 centimeters long. Some older Pentax macro lenses are 1 to 2, which means that for a subject that is 2 centimeters long, an image is projected onto the sensor that is 1 centimeter long. Some 'Macro' zooms have ratios like 1 to 4 (1:4), not really macro, but still close focus.
As for DOF, a 50mm prime will have the same DOF as a 50mm macro at the same focus distance and the same aperture.
Macro lenses move the glass elements inside the lens far enough away from the sensor to allow close focus. With a standard lens, as you focus closer to the subject, the glass elements inside the lens move farther away from the sensor. As you focus on a subject far away, the glass inside the lens moves closer to the sensor. You can do macro photography with a standard prime lens by using extension tubes between the lens and camera body.
I don't know the 135mm macro lens you mention, but there is no reason a 135mm couldn't be made to do macro. I think Sigma makes a 180mm macro.
Hope that helps.
12-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
You should most definitely read this tutorial.
So kind of you. It's really helpful.
Thanks a lot,
Regards,
Vass.
12-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
the miranda 28mm is not a macro lens, never mind that it says so. it's something that third party lens manufacturers like to put on lenses to sell more of them but it probably won't focus any closer then your Pentax 28mm.
most chances are that it's probably not even made by the original Miranda but by someone who bought the name after Miranda effectively ceased to be. I wouldn't bother with it, the Pentax is excellent.
Hmmm...I purchased a wrong item then. Can you please suggest few best manual macro prime lens(within my budget), can be fit on my pentax K-r, so that i'll find out a good deal in eBay. Thanks for the valuable info.
Regards,
Vass.
12-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Macro means focusing very close, so close a ratio is usually used to describe it, like 1 to 1, which means that for a subject that is 2 centimeters long, an image is projected onto the sensor that is 2 centimeters long. Some older Pentax macro lenses are 1 to 2, which means that for a subject that is 2 centimeters long, an image is projected onto the sensor that is 1 centimeter long. Some 'Macro' zooms have ratios like 1 to 4 (1:4), not really macro, but still close focus.
As for DOF, a 50mm prime will have the same DOF as a 50mm macro at the same focus distance and the same aperture.
Macro lenses move the glass elements inside the lens far enough away from the sensor to allow close focus. With a standard lens, as you focus closer to the subject, the glass elements inside the lens move farther away from the sensor. As you focus on a subject far away, the glass inside the lens moves closer to the sensor. You can do macro photography with a standard prime lens by using extension tubes between the lens and camera body.
I don't know the 135mm macro lens you mention, but there is no reason a 135mm couldn't be made to do macro. I think Sigma makes a 180mm macro.
Hope that helps.
Very clear explanation. Thanks a lot. I'll find out sigma 180mm macro in eBay-if available.
Regards,
Vass.