Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #1

disable shutter noise?

Hi all, many thanks indeed for all your input in my previous post about wildlife shooting. I have 1 final question if I may. I am still concerned about the artificial shutter noise of the camera. Can that be turned off at all?
(Just to explain, I will have to travel about 100 miles to actually hand hold one, so at the moiment I am doing as much research as poss on line).

Thanks again, woody

Cheers
woody

12-28-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Hi all, many thanks indeed for all your input in my previous post about wildlife shooting. I have 1 final question if I may. I am still concerned about the artificial shutter noise of the camera. Can that be turned off at all?
(Just to explain, I will have to travel about 100 miles to actually hand hold one, so at the moiment I am doing as much research as poss on line).

Thanks again, woody

Cheers
woody
Just to be clear, on an SLR, the shutter noise is not artificial. It is caused by a real shutter that opens and closes when you take a picture. As such, it is not able to be disabled. Some cameras have quieter shutters and some have a silent mode when using live view, but I don't think the kr fits either one of those.
12-28-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Actually even DSLR cameras can make beeps when focus is acquired, when exposure is locked etc. These can definately be disabled. But shutter noise is not artifical.
If you are looking for camera with very silent shutter, you need K-7 or K-5.
12-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote

Thanks again, woody

Cheers
woody
If you are using K-r and 55-300 lens the shutter sound is irrelevant because of the distance and overall camera speed. You will have your capture before the wildlife creature is able to react. Besides, the shutter sound on dSLR is real, not artificial.

12-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The shutter noise on a K-R is not that bad. I'd say it is similar to the old 35mm SLRs and better than some. Some of those old cameras really 'clunked'. People took bird pictures with them, back in the day.
12-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
My appologies and thanks. I was for some reason under the impression it was an artificiallly ceated noise, guess that comes from using bridge cameras. Thanks for the clarification, and point about days of old taken on board. I am old enough to remember those, lol.

woody
12-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

You may be able to get a "blimp" which is a container for the camera that deadens sound. They are often used by photographers on TV and movie sets so as not to intrude on the filming. Not sure how much they cost but I imagine at least a few hundred dollars.

A portion from a google search on camera blimp:

"In construction, it is a rigid box, filled with foam, with holes for the lens and viewfinder, and switches so one can focus and release the shutter from the outside of the case.

The only manufacturer is Jacobson Photographic Instruments; one can also make one using an existing camera case and a cable release; Pelican cases by Pelican Products are frequently mentioned.

A soft enclosure, the Camera Muzzle, is made by Sam Cranston; this is less effective than a hard enclosure, but significantly cheaper and easier to use; it is designed to be sufficient for most non-intrusive use, but not for demanding use such as film sets."
01-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This might be a source of confusion:

"The shutter on Pentax's K-r is electronic, but very traditional sounding - with a loud mechanical shutter "clunk" when you press the shutter button. Some folks will enjoy this link to the past, while others may regard it as an affectation. I like the traditional shutter sound even if it is an affectation, but it isn't great for street or candid photography because your subject may hear the shutter and react - something of a moot point with a fire engine red camera body."

Read the "complete" review: Pentax K-r Review