Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #1

Pentax K-r Battery Indicator

I purchased a Pentax K-r with the 18-55 and 55-300 from Amazon in late November. The initial body had three issues:

1. E-dial didn't function properly
2. Front-focused in artificial light
3. Battery indicator was inconsistent

Yesterday, I finally received my replacement since Amazon has been out of stock for so long.

While focus and E-dial issues seem worked out on the new camera, the battery inconsistencies seem to still be there. Just like with the defective camera I returned, the battery will say it's full, then half-full, then depleted, then go back to full, etc. It even went as far as to say it was full, then upon switching to live view say it was about half full, and then when trying to take a picture seconds later in live view it said the battery was depleted and powered off entirely. Upon cycling the power switch it went back to saying the battery was nearly full again and I continued using the camera.

Anybody else having battery indication issues?

12-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure about the K-R, but what you described with the battery has happened with my K-X. Live View is a power hog and the camera estimates the battery life accordingly for use in live view. Then, when you switch to regular shooting mode, the camera readjust and estimates battery life accordingly to that mode. In other words, I believe it's normal.
12-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dqniel Quote
the battery inconsistencies seem to still be there. Just like with the defective camera I returned, the battery will say it's full, then half-full, then depleted, then go back to full, etc. It even went as far as to say it was full, then upon switching to live view say it was about half full, and then when trying to take a picture seconds later in live view it said the battery was depleted and powered off entirely. Upon cycling the power switch it went back to saying the battery was nearly full again and I continued using the camera.

yes mine does the same I have learnt not to worry about the battery indicator unless on switching on it shows low then it really means it. BTW us the flash and the sudden low battery indication happens , [and goes away] after a couple of mins.
Alistair
edit I dont use live view so I have not had the switch off fault however.

Last edited by adwb; 12-31-2010 at 03:36 AM. Reason: add
12-31-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It's not your mind going. My K-x power-reporter has always been very erratic that way, and now the new(er) K-r toy is too, albeit less so. (on Li-Ion anyway)

So drawing from the useless experience-of-one here, I tend to agree with others that it's "normal" (a Pentax foible), and unless severe is best to just learn to live with it.

.R.

12-31-2010, 03:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Oh yes I forgot to mention the Kx I traded for the Kr had the same problem, if you can call it that, foible is better.
12-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
and now the new(er) K-r toy is too,
???
What's your point here? Why do you call this a toy?
12-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

it's his latest toy , just like the panoramic head i got for christmas is mine

Panosaurus Panoramic Tripod Head available in the UK from Red Door VR Ltd.
12-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
???
What's your point here? Why do you call this a toy?
Because I do not take cameras seriously! They are merely a petty utilitarian object, not a desire to lust over and grovel to. I have a R.L instead.

.R.
"My inferiority complex isn't as good as yours." -- Anon.

12-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I see. That looks like a fine tool (pano-head) and the price is reasonable. Enjoy.
12-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
"My inferiority complex isn't as good as yours." -- Anon.
Touch'e!!
12-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
it's his latest toy , just like the panoramic head i got for christmas is mine

Panosaurus Panoramic Tripod Head available in the UK from Red Door VR Ltd.
Verrry useful toy. I bet you'll have a creative time with that.

I want need an Epic Pro, will someone please buy me one, now. (It's so horrible being poor.)
Gigapan Systems Online - Introducing the Gigapan Epic Imager

.R.
12-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #12

Original Poster
Used it again today, this time with no live view at all. It went from anywhere from red symbol "empty" to green three-quarters or so full, back to red, and so on. Extremely erratic to the point where I think it's not even usable as an estimate much less an accurate estimate of battery remaining. I miss the "% remaining" of my Sony alpha that seemed quite accurate and consistent.

I'm debating as to whether mine has a more serious problem or if it's in line with the stories you all have described. I'm leaning toward thinking mine is even more erratic and unusable since I have literally no idea how much battery is left other than by counting the amount of shots I've taken. Displaying full, then depleted, then somewhere in the middle, and then back to full, and then depleted, in random orders is unacceptable for a DSLR.

On the plus side, I really liked the controls of the camera and enjoyed using it for the most part. The good experienced was just brought down by thinking the battery could go at any moment.
12-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm debating as to whether mine has a more serious problem or if it's in line with the stories you all have described.
Displaying full, then depleted, then somewhere in the middle, and then back to full, and then depleted, in random orders is unacceptable for a DSLR.
Thanks for the followup. I can see now from the senseless behaviour you describe that yours must be faulty. Mine is nowhere near that silly.

Replacement or warranty repair claim? Your choice.

On the plus side, I really liked the controls of the camera and enjoyed using it for the most part. The good experienced was just brought down by thinking the battery could go at any moment.
Yep, fairly intuitive isn't it? One thing, I would like them to put the e-dial somewhere else, maybe in the space of the AE-L button and move that to top perhaps because I need to use my left eye for viewfinder making rolling the wheel for minor tweak adjustment a fight between right thumb and nose bridge. Most uncomfortable!

Or am I doing it all wrong? Is there a better way?

.R.
01-01-2011, 02:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

send it back thats a fault I think as well. have you tried phoning Pentax ?
01-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #15

Original Poster
No, I haven't called them. I'm going to give the li-ion battery a few cycles before I go for yet another replacement. Maybe it will work itself out somehow :0