Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by hallenti Quote
I do plan to update my firmware, but I know that in the past, computer manufacturers would come out with BIOS upgrades, and would even have a warning that "If you are not experiencing the issues that are corrected with this update, we advise you not install it". I did the update on my K200d and it went flawlessly, and so am not afraid to do my K-r when I get home. But, I can see why some may be reluctant. probably the fear that if something isn't quite right, the camera may not function at all. I don't believe this will be the case however.
The luxury you have with Bios updates is that you could always revert back to the previous one if the new wasn't stable. I have updated my k-r and haven't come across any issues, but I would like to see them list all the firmware on the site.

01-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Did the update, no problem, appears many overreact, over think the issue of firmware updates. Pentax links can be found elsewhere, like dpreview and other
camera review sites. I wadded thru 4 pages of neurosis in this thread. The front focus issue seems to be another one. Show me the actual lens tests, too much subjectivity on many of the issues. Seems often this forum is for problem assessment and nothing more. Far greater opportunity to discuss the strengths and capabilities the Pentax rigs offer compared to the competition. Too much preceived paranoia for my taste. If you have a problem, send the camera in, real simple. Then provide positive feedback on results, if there is any.
01-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #48
Forum Member

I agree totally with Gusser on this issue. Most Kr owners are too busy enjoing their Kr to post how satisfied they are.
01-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
dave m: they have, its on their website.... however, many here in the states might feel more comfortable with the usa release

racists might feel more comfortable? Its the same file for the same camera just hosted on a .jp domain ffs.

Or did you forget you had to select English the first time you turned on your camera?

01-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
racists might feel more comfortable? Its the same file for the same camera just hosted on a .jp domain ffs.

Or did you forget you had to select English the first time you turned on your camera?
Oh give him a break, lots of hardware have different revisions and versions and bioses/firmware files that may or may not be interchangable.
01-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texoma Quote
I agree totally with Gusser on this issue. Most Kr owners are too busy enjoing their Kr to post how satisfied they are.
Mostly the case for me, but I do have a definite front-focusing issue under artificial light -- so if what you say is true, I hope it means it's a camera flaw that can be remedied by sending it back for servicing (since others apparently don't have the problem).
01-07-2011, 01:58 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by torpesco Quote
Mostly the case for me, but I do have a definite front-focusing issue under artificial light -- so if what you say is true, I hope it means it's a camera flaw that can be remedied by sending it back for servicing (since others apparently don't have the problem).
FF problem goes away after WB is set to tungsten light. Try it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/127862-might-front-focus...e-problem.html
01-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/127862-might-front-focus...e-problem.html
That "fix" doesn't work for everybody.

01-07-2011, 02:54 AM   #54
Veteran Member

In that case, your observation only proves that the camera is definitely faulty.

Otherwise, what is the purpose of AWB(*) then? And why does it exist with such prominence as the first item and default option?

* AWB: White Balance, Auto -- ref. page 200 et al., in the K-r manual.

Fwiw: I can see nothing in that manual stating that Tungsten setting MUST be used to achieve accurate AF under tungsten lighting conditions.

Has anyone seen or heard an official Pentax admission, or denial, of this alleged faulty behavior?

Maybe it's time for K-r buyers to start making waves and send them back en-masse for exchange, are we any lesser mortals because we didn't spend 1,600 dollars on a camera?

Ps: Interesting, I'll try and organise some T.light to test mine per your easy method. Would the Kit 18-55 DA L be adequate? (only Pentax lens I have)

.R.
01-07-2011, 03:33 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote

you are WAY off target with this response.....
the point made was that it seems logical to contact pentax in the country in which we live in for technical & sales support, (i.e. u.s.a. for me),even though the firmware was downloaded, from say, pentax japan.... understand????
01-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #56
Forum Member

I have tested with different white balance settings, and the problem doesn't go away. Focus is nice and crisp using the contrast AF on live view, and front-focused using PD AF.

This is on a table under a fixture with 3x70W halogen bulbs rated for 1600 lumens each, so it's fairly bright as far as artificial lighting goes. (Not at home, so can't post the exposure settings the camera picked on 'P' mode.)
01-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #57
Inactive Account

Thanks for making me aware of firmware updates!... Just updated this six hour old K-r no issues, and noticed the "Archived" folder hiding an update for my aging *istDL2... finally I can use my SDHC cards!

Thanks again.
01-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
In that case, your observation only proves that the camera is definitely faulty.

Otherwise, what is the purpose of AWB(*) then? And why does it exist with such prominence as the first item and default option?

* AWB: White Balance, Auto -- ref. page 200 et al., in the K-r manual.

Fwiw: I can see nothing in that manual stating that Tungsten setting MUST be used to achieve accurate AF under tungsten lighting conditions.

Has anyone seen or heard an official Pentax admission, or denial, of this alleged faulty behavior?

Maybe it's time for K-r buyers to start making waves and send them back en-masse for exchange, are we any lesser mortals because we didn't spend 1,600 dollars on a camera?

Ps: Interesting, I'll try and organise some T.light to test mine per your easy method. Would the Kit 18-55 DA L be adequate? (only Pentax lens I have)

.R.
It was quite hard for me to reproduce the FF issue under tungsten light. First I had to get a tungsten light source. When I finally got it I found out that the light source has to be dimmed down to an extent where normal picture taking and focusing with an human eye would become difficult.

FF was there when camera was on AWB. It has gone away after set to Tungsten WB. My take on this is that when set to Tungsten WB the camera takes a hint of which wavelength the light may come. In AWB it guesses and since K-r does not employ color information it misses the guessing game.

I must be the only one out there with a K-r which is intact. All other users have several problems, as you can see in this and other forums.

cheers,
d
01-08-2011, 02:21 AM   #59
Inactive Account

I don't know if this has always been an option, or already pointed out - but since updating my firmware I have noticed an unusual option within the final folder - "13. AWB in Tungsten Light", with two options 1 Subtle Correction and 2 Strong Correction.

Just took the time to read my manual - and it's an option in firmware 1.0!... so, ignore me!
01-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by urban-tiger Quote
I don't know if this has always been an option, or already pointed out - but since updating my firmware I have noticed an "unusual" option within the final folder - "13. AWB in Tungsten Light", with two options 1 Subtle Correction and 2 Strong Correction.

Was this already there in firmware 1.0?
It was there before, this is old stuff.