Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #121
LIJ
Forum Member

They have indeed known about the problem for quite some time, as well as the FF problems with the K-5. However, if you look at the Pentax Japanese webpage (www.pentax.jp/english), you will see that the firmware update for the K-5 was released one day before the disaster struck, as well as an update for the 645. No doubt, these more expensive models must have been there top priority. And then came the tsunami/quake.

04-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I've read through this whole thread and never really figured out whether the firmware 1.01 is worth bothering with.

Can anyone who sees this who has upgraded to 1.01 just let me know whether or not I should bother? I've downloaded it, but my inclination is to leave well enough alone and wait for the next one.

Thanks much!
04-17-2011, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #123

I dont know if pentax will release the update or not, but, speaking as someone who deals with a few Japanese companies, the after effects have been enormous. One company who produces it's goods in Korea, has managed to bring out a replacement product for a faulty design, but that was in the pipeline for the last 4 months or so, however, their technical department is based in Japan, and although about 200miles SW of the quake area, they are being hit by enegry blackouts, poor communications, sickness amongst staff (delayed reaction) and staf wantinmg time off for loved ones, and numerous other issues.

One supplier to them, supplies rubber gaskets, manufactured about 10miles north of Fukushima. The company has not been able to make contact with a single person from that supplier. No phone, internet or letters are being answered. The area has still not been fully accessed and the belief is the village and factory has gone - along with it's inhabitants and workers (I believe about 60 people (workers). Due to this the whole production of of nearly 20,000 units has had to be postphoned, until new suppliers are able to take up the slack, and, finding the new suppliers is another major headache. So the technical department is desperatly trying to keep existing production going, rather than fault finding and new developement.

I am still waiting for a resolvement of a fairly basic enquiry regarding a pressure fluctuation within a critical pump unit. Normally this would take between 3 and 14 days. I am currently on about day 40 as the item was raised just before the quake.

We just dont understand how it has affected the whole economy over there and will continue to do so for quite a while yet.

New products are designed, planned manufactured and shipped months in advance of distribution, they have to keep that up to ensure cash flow and market share . Design fault or not, resolving them or not doesnt make instant money and has to take a back seat at the moment - weather we like it or not.

Thank God, we havent suffered in the way the Japanese have. In my Church, one of our leaders is Japanese. His family are safe. But he is still worried for many friends of whom he has had no contact. we can only imagine what it is like for them over there.

Woody
04-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #124

Photos: Gallery
I think everyone has sympathy for them and would be more than willing to cut them some slack if they would just grow a pair and state that they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Give your customers something. If they refuse to even acknowledge it publicly, you're starting to ask allot from people to give them the respect they aren't giving back.

04-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #125

Photos: Albums
cut them some slack.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/141096-new-limited-edi...igns-cool.html

they've been diligently working on ridiculous colors.

Last edited by BobDoLe; 04-20-2011 at 10:15 PM.
04-20-2011, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #126
Veteran Member

Ahh theres the reason for the firmware delay, they've been too busy thinking of new colours!

At this point I think there is no firmware update, Pentax seems to be satisfied with the "workaround" that they had emailed to everyone that complained about the issue. So just take your cameras go outside and take photos and enjoy your camera!
04-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #127
Inactive Account

Absolutely.

I bought mine knowing it had the FF "drawback", but since 99% of my photo's are outdoor or in non-tungsten light, and there is a "fix" (Live View) then I was satisfied that the pro's outweighed the con's.

Very happy so far!

04-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #128

Is there anyone who has had front focus issues and has exchanged the camera for a new camera? Did it make the situation any better? I'm wondering, if the issue is hardware related and Pentax has quietly fixed something. I'm asking, because I have possibility to get my money back or get new K-r that is manufactured just some months ago.
04-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #129

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robroy Quote
Is there anyone who has had front focus issues and has exchanged the camera for a new camera? Did it make the situation any better? I'm wondering, if the issue is hardware related and Pentax has quietly fixed something. I'm asking, because I have possibility to get my money back or get new K-r that is manufactured just some months ago.
If you buy a K-r today, it has the same issue.
04-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #130
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LIJ Quote
They have indeed known about the problem for quite some time, as well as the FF problems with the K-5. However, if you look at the Pentax Japanese webpage (www.pentax.jp/english), you will see that the firmware update for the K-5 was released one day before the disaster struck, as well as an update for the 645. No doubt, these more expensive models must have been there top priority. And then came the tsunami/quake.
What I don't understand is how many ways you find to defend the delay! You seem to be saying because Pentax fixed K-5 issues recently, K-r fix is on the back burner?

Are you assuming that there are only one set of R & D engineers (or only one engineer! ) who fix camera after fixing another one? Can Pentax not afford to have 2 sets of engineers working on 2 seperate camera issues at the same time simultaneously?

So, if 3 types of Pentax cameras have issues, will it take a year to solve the fixes - because you seem to be saying engineers will only look at the next camera after fixing the 1st?

You guys are hilarious!
04-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #131
Veteran Member

They're not fixing it and the people who buy it hoping that pentax would fix it only makes pentax not want to fix it more. After all, why would they bother fixing a product that people keep buying anyway? Its been half a year since the K-R came out, a replacement is likely to come out in 2 quarters, Pentax solution to the problem will be to buy the K-R replacement or to buy a K-5. They don't care about the K-R since its a budget model and they already have our money.

So how did it come to this? A number of reason
- As said before, people keep buying the camera anyway so money is still rolling in for them
- They don't want to spend more money on the budget camera
- Fanboys convicing everyone that FF is a non issue ("just manually focus", "you have a bad eye get a focusing screen" that will break your warranty, "other brands have issues too", "just get rid of all your tungsten lights", if you read other threads there are even some that claim the FF doesn't exist for their cameras at all), so those who don't know better will buy the camera
- Japanese earthquake, which is a tragedy but the sad thing is theyre probably just going to use this as an excuse not to release a fix when the real reasons are the above.
04-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #132
LIJ
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
You seem to be saying because Pentax fixed K-5 issues recently, K-r fix is on the back burner
I do not want to start a debate or anything. I just found it to be an interesting fact that the day before the earthquake, they released the update for the more expensive models. Of course, Pentax must have the capability to work on several projects at the same time, but I do believe that their top priority is, and will always be, the more expensive models. I'm not saying that there ever will be an update for the K-r. I was just pointing out an (in my view) interesting fact.
05-07-2011, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #133
Inactive Account

I installed it on mine the night I brought it home. Just figured it would be good to get it over with before I became used to the operation of the camera with the older software. Thusfar, no issues. I haven't noticed the battery indicator or front-focusing issues that others have mentioned, either, so read in that what you will.
05-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #134

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went to pentax.com and on that page they have firm ware updates for several cameras. I bought my K-r April 2011 and have had it for about a month now. It works great, however I am doing the update now. Pay careful attention to the instruction or you will do it about 4 times like I did. It takes a little while for the update to complete.
The update is to let you adjust ISO in Bulb and help make the focuse faster. We will see...
05-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #135
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LIJ Quote
I just found it to be an interesting fact that the day before the earthquake, they released the update for the more expensive models. Of course, Pentax must have the capability to work on several projects at the same time, but I do believe that their top priority is, and will always be, the more expensive models.
I think the whole earthquake thing is a "red herring" (a fact which diverts attention away from an item of significance).

Yes, an attempt at fixing the auto-focus was made on the expensive models, but there is a big difference between those models and the K-r. The K-5 has SAFOX IX+ while the K-r has SAFOX IX. No plus. The plus is an additional sensor that many believe was added to specifically compensate for this very problem! IF this is true, then that means Pentax knew all along that the K-r had this issue and they went ahead and released it anyhow with no documentation to warn the buyer of the limitation. This would also mean that the problem is hardware related. I for one am no longer convinced that a miracle firmware is on the way.