Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dqniel Quote
If that was a firmware issue wouldn't it be present on all K-r's then? I feel like it's a QC issue if it's only affecting certain K-r's? Either way, I hope it gets resolved for people.
Good points. Have you or anyone else here been able to find any controlled tests done on the alleged focusing issue with the K-r yet?
And has Pentax officially ack'd it as an issue with the model?

All I've seen so far is owner self-test reports which all seem to be very arbitrary and subjective. So haven't even bothered to check my K-r yet because I wouldn't really know where to start.

.R.

01-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
.... still surprised that many have opted to download firmware without actually knowing what it is..... sort of the shotgun approach... in the dark...........
my intent is to purchase the k-r (have the k-x and 200d), but want some of the niggling problems to be resolved first...... knock on wood.... the k-x has been a pretty much faultless dslr for me... and don't need the aggravation of dealing with pentax/hoya's poor beta testing and quality control.... i must be patient... a real exercise for me......
... has anyone contacted pentax europe for the exact details of what the firmware is to address? (that's how this thread was started, and to date, still don't know)
regards and thanks... and happy new year.. dave m
01-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just pondering something here...

Why is everyone so afraid to update their firmware? Is it that they are afraid it is just a beta fix? I personally have not done it because I have no evident problems with my camera.

I'm just curious. I've only ever seen people flock like sheep to any kind of update for any kind of product.
01-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #34

I think they're afraid it's a beta fix and will brick their camera or something along those lines. I updated without a problem (as far as I can tell) but if it's indeed a beta or incomplete firmware release then others' mileage may vary.

01-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #35

Just updated and tried. The front focusing issue is still there.
01-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

from my last contact with pentax imaging usa..
have not checked if its available in usa though... will do asap dave m

dave m: hi randall.... there's been a firmware update 1.01 the the k-r.. however cant find the info as to what it fixes
dave m: readme.txt : this document fwdc208b.bin : Firmware
Randall S: * Increases the number of continuous shot at RAW format and High sensitivity shooting.

* Ex. Setting condition: RAW/ISO100, Increases the number of continuous shot from maximum approx. 8 frames to approx. 20 frames.
* Improved stability for general performance such as exposure range on HyP mode

*** update *** i checked the usa website... 1.01 is not listed as a download for the k-r???
maybe it's available elsewhere, but not formally here yet... but they gave me the info regarding
the 1.01 firmware update.... shaking my head at this point....

Last edited by dcmsox2004; 01-05-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: more info...
01-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
Just pondering something here...

Why is everyone so afraid to update their firmware? Is it that they are afraid it is just a beta fix? I personally have not done it because I have no evident problems with my camera.

I'm just curious. I've only ever seen people flock like sheep to any kind of update for any kind of product.
Fyi, I don't pretend to speak for "everyone" but can tell you that in my own case I will not install a 'leak-source' posted firmware to my camera - no matter what issues it might offer for potential fix. To me it's more about not wanting to be captive than anything. YMMV.

"Everyone" can do what they want to, as everyone will. And I tend to agree with your observation that a lot of people flock to any upgrade or update software is pretty true. Many seem to spend insane amounts of energy seeking out "info" of that nature in some weird insecurity-driven desperation to be first to 'know' too.

I suppose that's all only normal compulsive-obsessive urge to have and experience "latest" and "newest", and not be left out. The 15 minutes of, and all that.
And we all know that most people should not, because >95% don't really have the skills or knowledge required to risk manage consequences, or to even understand outcomes. Otoh... who said humans are rational, or even smart? Gotta have comes first.

I think of more psychological interest are the fence-sitters, the one's who don't want to be first, yet eagerly harass and pester for "Did it fix X and Y?" and "Notice any side-effects?" tidbits of opinions-feedback-talk in order to justify and provide a Let's-use-up-other-guy-as-guinea-pig comfort approach for their own possible going ahead with it. Weird, like having to ask for permission.

Jeez, if you want to play, then jump in play hard and take no prisoners!! Why be a wimp and sit back toe-dipping and let others have the real fun?

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 01-05-2011 at 01:04 PM.
01-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #38

It son the Pentax Japan site. Latest K-r Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
01-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #39

I am one of those that usually just update no matter what, but IF this firmware makes something worse, you pretty much can't revert back to 1.00 (cause they don't have a copy of it on the site), so you would have to wait for god knows how long before they release a fix.
01-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #40

Just d/l'ed it from the Japan site. Seems like it's a different file, fwdc209b.bin instead of 208.

Release Notes:
* Compatible with SDXC memory card.
* Transfer rate is not compatible with UHS speed class.
* All ISO sensitivity setting can be used on Bulb mode.
* Improved functional sequence for Contrast AF and improved total speed until in focus.

Edit:
Never mind, file that gets extracted is 208 still.
01-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
* Improved functional sequence for Contrast AF and improved total speed until in focus.
So they improved the already (relatively) fast CDAF? Or phase detect AF too?
01-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by atom0221 Quote
Just updated and tried. The front focusing issue is still there.
Frontfocus issue under low tungsten light goes away after WB was set to tungsten.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/127862-might-front-focus...e-problem.html
01-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Firmware v1.01 is now available on the proper Pentax site. Along with K-5 firmware.

Latest K-r Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

Changes to V1.01

* Compatible with SDXC memory card.
* Transfer rate is not compatible with UHS speed class.
* All ISO sensitivity setting can be used on Bulb mode.
01-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just in from our friends at pentax usa..

Randall S: Thank you for contacting Pentax Chat Support. How may I help you?
dave m: hi randall.... when will usa pentax release the k-r 1.01 firmware as japan pentax has?
Randall S: we don't know when Pentax Japan will release a firmware update.
dave m: they have, its on their website.... however, many here in the states might feel more comfortable with the usa release
dave m: and usa tech support
Randall S: that's a firware update for the K-5, not K-r
Randall S: nope, they just put the K-r update online last night
Currently experiencing network delays, one moment please....
Randall S: you're right, but the Japan version should be fine.
Network connection re-established.
dave m: thanks... any issues we can contact usa tech support
Randall S: sure, if you're in the US
dave m: thanks my friend.. dave m ... ps happy holidays to all there at pentax
01-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #45
Forum Member

I do plan to update my firmware, but I know that in the past, computer manufacturers would come out with BIOS upgrades, and would even have a warning that "If you are not experiencing the issues that are corrected with this update, we advise you not install it". I did the update on my K200d and it went flawlessly, and so am not afraid to do my K-r when I get home. But, I can see why some may be reluctant. probably the fear that if something isn't quite right, the camera may not function at all. I don't believe this will be the case however.