Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 01:37 AM   #196
Forum Member

I haven't even bothered using a test chart yet. Spent long enough with a Christmas card on the table, my lens cap, batteries, etc...

I'd rather spend time getting the photos I've taken posted to share with family and friends (mainly from a vacation and from Christmas) -- which of course means way too much time picking between all the photos taken because I'm playing around with the camera and figuring it out.

Realized a couple days ago that all the time I was putting into following a bunch of threads on here would be better used doing that, too.

02-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #197
Banned

By the way, I found one test picture, made "a la carte".
More than 20 mm FF at 55mm, close-up, is too much for me.

Last edited by ursamajor; 02-21-2011 at 06:13 AM.
02-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #198

I sent my k-r to the local pentax service center today. I spoke to them on the phone first and they said they knew about the af problem and that they hade been able to fix it other k-r:s but not k-5:s.
02-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #199
Forum Member

On the camera,

in menu,

under custom menu option 2

under 13. Auto white Balance under Tungsten Light ,

there are 2 options 1. Subtle correction 2. Strong correction.

Has anyone tried the focus changing from 1. subtle correction to 2. Strong correction?

Is the focus better?

02-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #200

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote
On the camera,

in menu,

under custom menu option 2

under 13. Auto white Balance under Tungsten Light ,

there are 2 options 1. Subtle correction 2. Strong correction.

Has anyone tried the focus changing from 1. subtle correction to 2. Strong correction?

Is the focus better?
I use it. Not sure if it makes any difference to the FF issue though. Using -10 AF correction and Tungsten WB makes it hard for me to discern FF in real life photography, but I only use the kit lens so far, and mostly at f/8.

Regards,
Chris
02-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #201
Forum Member

I didn't contact Pentax or my retailer because of the holiday weekend. Today I contacted Pentax using the livechat feature. The CSR with whom I talked denied there was any mass problem with all K-r s. He said I should send my camera to them to fix if there was a problem.

While I say, I am okay with the camera, this denial by Pentax pinched me a bit.
02-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #202
Banned

All these things were already discussed on and on. Some chaters know the problem, some don't. What do you expect from one from public relations? More important is that service centres agreed with some of us concerning the ff issue.
02-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 3drives Quote

While I say, I am okay with the camera, this denial by Pentax pinched me a bit.
Well at least it isn't childish denial like the klooless fanbois who hide from accepting that theirs, like every other K-r made, is affected.

So why not appreciate what that person told you? Because it would be honest.

Those Pentax employees who lead people on and say what the customer wants to hear just to appease (and ultimately misleads), should STFU.
And you can be sure that if & when Pentax management found out they would at least discipline them harshly, or dismiss them. (Where IR laws permit.)

Yes some customers are a real PITA with their silly insistence and prodding too. But the employee's role is to ignore that because invariably those same immature-minded customers will only misconstrue, and spread what they're told personally and in confidence, unwisely.
That then only creates false expectations in others, desperate and looking for hope, so are vulnerable to equally believing the unofficial that has no real guarantee to happen. Unfortunately, speculation never fixed any camera.

To companies and to customers things like this are a very serious matter -- and unless authorised and made official policy by the company, meaning by announcement exclusively IN PRINT, always, then it simply doesn't exist.
So please people, for your own sake, do no swallow. Individual drones in any lowly department do not have authority to make those statements or announcements. Ask for the official written proof that only comes from the top. Like the K-5 sensor announcement did.

That's why like to I keep all my correspondence and warranty/service claims by registered letter (snail mail), it's fully traceable and every word both ways is on record for back reference if needed.

None of this "You said ... I said ... yada yada" telephone-jockey bullshit that counts for absolutely nix!

.R.

"EXPERIENCE, n. The wisdom that enables us to recognize as an undesirable old acquaintance the folly that we have already embraced." -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-22-2011 at 08:15 AM.
02-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #204
Banned

I'll receive my money back (from returning my Kr). Just talked with the Pentax RO aquisition manager. I told him that I'll wait the new firmware who will solve the problem then maybe I'll re-buy the Kr. He did that (from his experience and in his opinion, mine, too), a new firmware will not solve an issue like this tungsten FF. It has happened before and it will happen again. So, my Pentax adventure ends now. I'll make a financial effort and I will buy a 550D. We have a word in RO, something like "pay some extra money if you want to be cool". I was disappointed by my Kr. I don't expect that a camera to be a fashion accesory or full of unusefull (for me) features, but a PHOTOCAMERA, with good qualities of autofocus, accuracy and rapidity.
Anyway, I'll wait the next firmware. I'm just curious... After a good review on an important site from my country, I'm forced to complete it with my last opinions.

Last edited by ursamajor; 02-22-2011 at 07:41 AM.
02-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
I'll receive my money back (from returning my Kr). Just talked with the Pentax RO aquisition manager. He did that, from his experience and in his opinion (mine, too), a new firmware will not solve an issue like this tungsten FF. It has happened before and it will happen again. So, my Pentax adventure ends now. I'll make a financial effort and I will buy a 550D.
I know you're not a brand-loyalist type person, and I agree a camera's just a camera, a means to and end, not the end itself. So we both don't fit in comfortably here.

Regarding your 550D target, you're probably already aware of this guy's efforts with a modest camera model that many seem to scorn against; the Canon 1000D.
Flickr: BAKINGSLEY's Photostream

I particularly like these two, helps remind me of how insignificant we are:
M31 The andromeda Galaxy - B Kingsley | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The North American and Pelican nebula | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And this detail extracted out of an even older C.350D + 100 y/o 8 inch lens, is a rare sight to behold from any camera.
Moonrise 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Enjoy your trip ursa, so long and thanks for all the fish.

.R. -- In Space, no one can hear you scream.
02-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #206

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Those Pentax employees who lead people on and say what the customer wants to hear just to appease (and ultimately misleads), should STFU.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

They're a large corporation and the person doesn't know everything about every little issue. Especially one that might, or might not be, a wide problem. Now if they said that about a publicly stated problem, such as the K-5 stain issues, then you can tell them to go crawl back under their rock.
02-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #207
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Enjoy your trip ursa, so long and thanks for all the fish.
Thank you and I'm glad that at least one member of this forum understood me. Yes, I'm not a brand-loyalist and I'll prove it (although I don't need to do it to someone) if Pentax will solve the ff issue. I'll re-buy the Kr because it's the camera I need. Obviously, without ff issue.
I'm not leaving yet, because it's a forum where I have things to learn (or maybe teach?); even some english to learn, why not? I noticed your very "coloured" language and I must admit that I have troubles to translate some of your expressions.

The astropictures are very nice.
Yes, 1000D would be an option: at least it has the LCD larger than my old 350D, so the focus in Live View is better than focusing through the viewfinder. In fact, it was the reason I sold my 350D.

Last edited by ursamajor; 02-22-2011 at 09:03 AM.
02-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #208
Inactive Account

FF Problem

I have read many of the posts re: FF problems. I am beginning to wonder how big a problem this is. How often does one focus under tungsten lighting???? Personally, I don't use my camera for this without using on board flash or off camera flash. It is my opinion that this is a very belabored problem that has grown to be more than it really is. What you don't hear is from those of us who don't have a FF problem.
Personal opinion is the FF issue isn't large enough to berate the camera or its capabilities. To what degree is tungsten shooting anyway, 1%-5&-10%. If most are shooting under tungsten light, then they aren't taking advantage of the camera in the first place. On other sites I see this issue is not isolated to Pentax.
02-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gusser Quote
I have read many of the posts re: FF problems. I am beginning to wonder how big a problem this is. How often does one focus under tungsten lighting???? Personally, I don't use my camera for this without using on board flash or off camera flash. It is my opinion that this is a very belabored problem that has grown to be more than it really is. What you don't hear is from those of us who don't have a FF problem.
The problem there is that your claim that the camera doesn't have a serious deficiency of functionality problem, when you clearly state yourself that you avoid it, is a total farce.
Since when did the world's statistical means revolve singly around your usage?

And need I mention that I, and many others, have read every single one of the posts, not just "many of the posts" like you say you have.

Do you honestly think that people might not have your number, 1,001 times over?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/128330-yet-another-k-r-a...ml#post1391853

So please don't direct your callow cynicisms against others who paid out their hard earned shekels for a new camera and might just happen to genuinely do use and need that functionality that's been so long acknowledged across the Internet universe for being a universal affliction meriting serious concern to the 2 camera models, and that it simply does not work properly or adequately in any way shape of form. You are not the arbiter of other people's needs nor of its severity. End of story! Case closed. Thank you. It was good to hear you are happy with your lot.

.R. -- I don't use onboard flash so that's a very belaboured feature.

John P. Stapp, had a paradox: Stapp's Ironical Paradox, which says:
"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-23-2011 at 08:01 PM.
02-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #210
Banned

gusser, maybe it'll be usefull for you this thread. It's more scientific than subjective opinions. It was made for K5, but I believe it's applicable to Kr too. Enjot it!