Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #211
Veteran Member

In this scenario front-focus is still an issue since your camera will focus before the flash fires.

QuoteOriginally posted by gusser Quote
How often does one focus under tungsten lighting???? Personally, I don't use my camera for this without using on board flash or off camera flash.

02-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #212
Inactive Account

Callow? get real! A 15 page thread does belabor the point, so some have an ff problem, however you don't hear from those that don't, why not compare this camera to others and determine what problems exist..... Like many threads, and interpretation, "your claims" and "clearly state" are misguided, I don't see a real need for shooting existing light under tungsten lighting. What is the point? A total farce, please direct your remarks to someone who cares. I toted around a K-1000 before you even knew the name Pentax. My point is take care of your problem and present the results rather than comment on others opinions. What good does that do, does it help your ff problem? My Pentax functions well, so if I were to have a problem I would ask on the forum first and then proceed to resolve. Again, many, such as yourself belabor the point. Ger er fixed my man
02-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #213
Inactive Account

Read it, so Toyota has brake problem does that make all Toyotas bad? Good report for those that are pursuing the issue.
02-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #214
Inactive Account

DPReview has good articles and test results on other camera models and lenses that have focus problems, check out Sony f1.4 lens and others. Pentax isn't the only carrier of the ff plague.

02-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #215
Inactive Account

I have no use for tungsten lighting, for those that do and experience ff problems get the rig fixed, this isn't isolated to Pentax, people really get an attitude when something opposed to the general topic isn't agreed upon. Little people won't rule.
Ger 'er fixed or return for a Sony with back focusing problems.
02-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #216

QuoteOriginally posted by gusser Quote
I have no use for tungsten lighting, for those that do and experience ff problems get the rig fixed, this isn't isolated to Pentax, people really get an attitude when something opposed to the general topic isn't agreed upon. Little people won't rule.
Ger 'er fixed or return for a Sony with back focusing problems.
The general consensus in the forum (if they are not in the forum, we cannot count them in ) is that there is a problem, even with the K-5, which supposedly has the secondary light sensor to handle this.

I guess it's also accepted that the problem is not brand specific, but is worse in the K-r and K-5, as others have compared the previous Pentax models with both.

Maybe it's the new Safox IX. For those who doesn't shoot in Tungsten light, it does not matter. For those who can use live view or manual focus instead of phase detect in tungsten light, it does not matter.

For those affected by the problem, Pentax as of this moment, has no fix at all, except for the rumored F/W update. Which btw, hopefully is true, and address the problem.
02-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #217
Forum Member

Some news: Good news for K-5 owners - Pentax Rumors - PentaxForums.com
Not saying anything new though.
02-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #218

I got my K-r back from service. The service note says AF adjusted but the FF problem is still there.

03-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #219
Banned

Ask your money back. They deserve it! No one little comment from they until now... They are treating badly the people who bought the camera.
03-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andresin Quote
I got my K-r back from service. The service note says AF adjusted but the FF problem is still there.
If they wrote that on the note it indicates they acknowledge that they don't have a fix yet.

That's interesting, but no real surprise. Bad luck this round, and some inconvenience to you. Please take your place in the waiting line along with the rest of us.

Here are the no choice options (so we don't get to pick one, sorry):

1. If it proves to be software fixable (like many on here believe for some reason that I've yet to see tangible proof of), then that firmware update will be publicly posted for download when available and tested, and no cameras need to be sent it.

2. If it's found to require a hardware fix then Pentax will, when that's proven, issue an official statement in writing from the top and voluntary recall like they did with the K-5 stain.
In that case cameras will need to be returned (via dealers or direct), and if user ships it then cost will be offered to reimburse as per K-5 policy.

Oh yeah there is a choice (option) for anyone who wants or needs to get on with life now, the one ursamajor said in post #219.
And it's not unreasonable to want your tied-up cash repaid now either, so you have something to spend on another camera.

And Remember... If you send in your cam for repair in good faith, and it's away for 1.. 2... ?? months then YOU the customer are likely losing out on effective total warranty duration time. Make sure you check up on that possibility to have it extended, in writing, to include the full time you were without your camera. It was not your fault, but it was your money spent, not theirs.

Some mfgrs of consumer goods have been good at playing that sleazy game on well known faulty items. Delays... delays... Ooops! no warranty period left. Sorry... you'll have to pay this time.

.R. -- Telling it like it always was.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 03-01-2011 at 01:10 AM.
03-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #221

QuoteOriginally posted by Andresin Quote
It is good that your AF was adjusted, as it may have not been accurately adjusted during production. So now all you have to do, as all of us, is wait for the firmware fix for the FF issue. As far as I am concerned, there is no doubt whatsoever that Pentax is working on it, although they should have said it officially! We just have to be patient. No need to worry anymore, I do not. We just have to wait until it is published
03-01-2011, 03:45 AM   #222
Banned

Yes, I'll wait the 1.02 firmware too. For me it has other signification: to buy or not to buy again the Kr... This is the question.
A Pentax statement would be salutary. Unfortunatelly, the lack of this statement make me a bit skeptical.
03-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #223

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
Yes, I'll wait the 1.02 firmware too. For me it has other signification: to buy or not to buy again the Kr... This is the question.
A Pentax statement would be salutary. Unfortunatelly, the lack of this statement make me a bit skeptical.
Of course there wouldn't be any statement. They'll piggy back the fix on some very minor update like being to name your files backwards .

Seriously if there was an 'easy' software fix for this, they wouldn't have created the secondary light sensor.

At most we're looking at the same levels of inaccuracy as the previous models, methinks. Although I hope I'm wrong.
03-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #224
Banned

But K5 already has secondary sensor. And the ff issue is present too. Reading the article of Falconeye, I believe that would be possible a software improvement. At least, I hope so...
03-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #225

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
But K5 already has secondary sensor. And the ff issue is present too. Reading the article of Falconeye, I believe that would be possible a software improvement. At least, I hope so...
I'm not questioning that about the secondary sensor and the similar FF problem with the K-5.

All I'm saying is that if it was easy to fix with software, they would have done that in the first place, and would not have bothered with the hardware solution (the secondary sensor) at all.

Obviously there is a problem with the Safox IX, and we're all hoping for a solution, although as I mentioned, I'm not expecting a total 100% fix.