Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Hey, I said it was a workaround, not a fix or a solution.

02-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #107
Banned

As you see, it was just a joke, my friend.
02-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by ursamajor Quote
As you see, it was just a joke, my friend.
Maybe we should all agree to have some sort sign (i.e.j/k) ?

The Pentax problems are making everyone more grouchy than usual j/k
02-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Nice. Perhaps if I want to take a picture to Eiffel tour in Paris, I must focus on Big Ben in London.
That was pretty funny! I like most here have set my AF adjustment to -10 and am waiting for this mysterious new firmware update. In the meantime, shoot manual

02-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
Maybe we should all agree to have some sort sign (i.e.j/k) ?

The Pentax problems are making everyone more grouchy than usual j/k
Oh, I wasn't being grumpy. I probably should have had a smiley in my post as well.
02-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #111

Just spoke to the Pentax technical hotline here in the UK about my K-r and the FF under tungsten issue.

The guy I spoke to was quite abrupt. He said I should contact the repair centre for recalibration. I asked him if this was a problem that affected individual units or the model as a whole. He said it only affected individual units and that I'd been unlucky. I explained to him that the problem seems pretty widespread based on other users' reported experience, but he was very dimissive about what people write on the internet! There definitely seemed to be a bit of denial there (although maybe that's just me, having spent too much time reading up on this issue and now under the impression that it is completely widespread...)

Anyway, hopefully the other messages people have had from Pentax regarding a firmware update are a more reliable indication as to whether the company recognises a problem.
02-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #112
Banned

I think they should publish rapidly a firmware, even a beta version, which will repair somewhat the issue, so that customers see they are concerned. Otherwise, I'm sure that they will suffer losses at sales.

02-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Beta firmware? Are you serious?

It's bad enough that the K-5 and K-r are beta products as they are. The last thing we need is unproven firmware.

I think they should publish rapidly a firmware, even a beta version, which will repair somewhat the issue, so that customers see they are concerned. Otherwise, I'm sure that they will suffer losses at sales.
02-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by Matso Quote
Just spoke to the Pentax technical hotline here in the UK about my K-r and the FF under tungsten issue.

The guy I spoke to was quite abrupt. He said I should contact the repair centre for recalibration. I asked him if this was a problem that affected individual units or the model as a whole. He said it only affected individual units and that I'd been unlucky. I explained to him that the problem seems pretty widespread based on other users' reported experience, but he was very dimissive about what people write on the internet! There definitely seemed to be a bit of denial there (although maybe that's just me, having spent too much time reading up on this issue and now under the impression that it is completely widespread...)

Anyway, hopefully the other messages people have had from Pentax regarding a firmware update are a more reliable indication as to whether the company recognises a problem.
I think all the info on the new firmware development that I read about on the internet or I heard myself was coming from Pentax Germany...
02-08-2011, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #115
Banned

My friend, the germans are the Europe's japaneses. They are the motor of the Europe. Are you still surprised?
02-08-2011, 03:25 AM   #116
Forum Member

I received information from France where Pentax has its Center/HQ in Europe. You can read it on the previous page. Post #94.
02-08-2011, 03:31 AM   #117
Banned

Pentax Germany was the first center who admitted there is a problem... But this is not so important. Important is to have a firmware who solve the issue, though I'm not so sure of it.

For me, the things are much simple now. Canon just lanced 600D and the price of 550D will surely decrease. If the replacement of my Kr will suffer FF, I'll ask my money back and I'll go for a 550D. Adventures are not for me...

Last edited by ursamajor; 02-08-2011 at 04:21 AM.
02-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #118

I'm currently sitting on the fence about a K-r because I'd like to hear an official word on at least how wide-spread the problem is. My decision is coming down to either the resolution of this K-r issue or the replacement of the Nikon D5000.
02-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Welcome, robroy. Have you adjusted your AF to max (-10)? That tends to help somewhat. Also, setting a tungsten or custom white balance helps as well, but that's crap with as good as the AWB finally is.

My current workaround for shooting my kids in tungsten is to aim for the ears. Focussing on the ears usually gets the eyes pretty sharp with the FF.
Thanks! I made some more tests with a tripod and 2 second timer and I'm horrified. All images are soft as hell. I can take sharper images with my cell phone. I get usable images indoors only by using the live view with contrast based focusing.

Setting white balance to tungsten or adjusting AF to -10 (or anything other) doesn't bring any resolution. There is maybe a tiny improvement, but it's very small. My unit seems to be really bad.

Local importer and service center don't recognize the problem. I bought this camera for taking images from my kid indoors. As hard as it's to believe, my old compact camera seems to be better in this although it cost many times less. Waste of money? :-(

I'm not sure, if I dare to wait, if Pentax will resolve the issue. I could still be able to return the camera to the seller. Later it's not possible for sure. How is Pentax's history/reputation for fixing issues? I don't know the brand very well yet. I bought the camera because of positive reviews which, by the way, didn't mention these autofocusing problems.
02-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #120
Forum Member

Your problem seems more serious. And it doesn't sound like a FF problem.
I would send your camera to service repair as well as your lens, they should calibrate the camera and lens.