Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #31

Just to add the underestimating of this focusing issue when buying a new K-r is a mistake. If you can use the warranty - then you could exchange it. So far for me the experience I had with pentax is just awful (the camera, not the lenses). I have shoot with canon 30D, 40D, 5D; nikon D300, D90 (2 different bodies), D60; lumix LX3. Never had ANY problem. And now with pentax 2 issues with a brand new body, one of which is just a deal breaker - wrong autofocus, which will cost me additionally more than 250 EUR... (I know I made a mistake not buying a warranty product for my region, but still, selling a product with such problems is not OK!)

01-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #32
Banned

Good point, my bulgarian friend! My sold Canon 350D, camera produced from 2005, were able to focus corectly in all kind of light. Not at all normally at a 2010 produced camera...

PS: we are too poor to buy defective products.
01-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recognize some folks are having some kind of AF problem under specific conditions with the K-r, but for the record I don't and I'm not even sure what the problem is: perfect auto focus under artificial light in close- to-macro range @ 100% crops at high ISO? If I needed to routinely photograph under those conditions, then I can appreciate the problem; however, I have to question whether this is a serious functional problem for indoor light shots of the kids or partner or pets or a still life for print or web viewing at reasonable sizes? If not, perhaps this is a distinction without a difference,
Brian
01-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #34

FHPhotographer, I really do not want to convince anyone about how serious the focusing inaccuracy of my K-r is in some situations. But it is so bad that I cannot use my 70 2.4 or my 40 2.8 wide open with or without the focus correction provided in the menu. I am not talking about close to macro focus range. Doing a portrait in artificial light with AF is impossible. I shot nearly 1000 (one thousand) test pictures in different situations and different objects, gave up and sent it for calibration which I have been told did not fix the problem.
Anyway, when I have it with me and test it again I will let you know.

01-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I recognize some folks are having some kind of AF problem under specific conditions with the K-r, but for the record I don't and I'm not even sure what the problem is: perfect auto focus under artificial light in close- to-macro range @ 100% crops at high ISO? If I needed to routinely photograph under those conditions, then I can appreciate the problem; however, I have to question whether this is a serious functional problem for indoor light shots of the kids or partner or pets or a still life for print or web viewing at reasonable sizes? If not, perhaps this is a distinction without a difference,
Brian
For me, the issue was very obvious on all shots in artificial light. That is, at all distances/focal lengths, even with the kit lens with its modest apertures. Using live view, the shots were tack sharp, using phase detect, the shots were severely out of focus. This could be easily seen without pixel peeping. And this was NOT only in low light, I tested in well lit conditions, say EV 6-8.

It is very interesting what alffastar says, that it is possible to adjust focus for various color temperatures. This gives me hope that my body will perform better when I get it back from service. Should be any day now!
01-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
And this was NOT only in low light, I tested in well lit conditions, say EV 6-8.
this is the situation I also found on my k-r....
last week I shoot badminton games in a well lit gym, but the lit color is warm(yellow), my k-r need to adjust focus to -10
01-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member

cloud016 et al, could we see some of these out-of-focus shots with EXIF? All I've seen so far are focus charts and such close-up stuff. I'm not saying it isn't happening, I just want to see if I can duplicate the conditions while my K-r is still within it's exchange/refund period,
Brian

01-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I recognize some folks are having some kind of AF problem under specific conditions with the K-r, but for the record I don't and I'm not even sure what the problem is: perfect auto focus under artificial light in close- to-macro range @ 100% crops at high ISO?
The reason I bought a Pentax Kr (selling my old Canon 350D) was it's capabilities/possibilities to shoot at high ISO. When you shoot at high ISO? I tell you: in low light. Not necessary daylight (situation when I use a tripod), but artificial (inside) light. For example in a museum, at a party etc. (Aaa, even if the blitz is used the AF will be incorect, see the picture bellow). So, like I already said it on other topics, if my old 350D was able to focus in low light, but only 1600ISO (maximum 800ISO usable) I expect a much newer camera to do a correct autofocus under all conditions.
Therefore lets behave like customers, buyers, not fanboys, with the right to reject a bad product. Maybe Pentax will learn something from it.

PS: look here; if some members can live with that (because according to Pentax all K-r's have this issue! and they don't have a global solution), I can not, because I know what photography is and what a camera MUST DO (you can see it here). Again, because there were misunderstandings, the AF was made on the child's right eye (seen at left in photo). It can be verified with PhotoME.

Last edited by ursamajor; 01-27-2011 at 11:24 PM.
01-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #39
Forum Member

Has anyone actually had their camera serviced for this?

There's lots of discussion on this point but I'm wondering if anyone has had their camera serviced and, if so, what the results have been. EricT (OP) was sending his away and a couple of others. As we still aren't clear whether this is a firmware or hardware issue, it would be good to know.
01-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #40

FHPhotographer, sorry I have deleted all the FF pics from that badminton games, I have only pics with af-adjustment -10, you can see in the EXIF. the pics are pp worked and denoised.

with da*50-135

and this one took in the first few weeks my K-r arrived, I had not noticed the FF issue yet.
the focus point should be on the show girl`s eye. the showroom is well lit but warm colour temp.
with fa43mm le

Last edited by cloud016; 01-27-2011 at 11:52 PM.
01-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #41
Banned

djb21au, I sent mine to service on 24th january. The guy who received it (from the Pentax RO dealer) said me that he talked with Pentax Europe and they know about the issue, but they don't have a solution. Why? Because, IMHO, there is not one. The argument is theirs hesitations and the total silence, concerning the subject. Because they don't equipped the camera with the colour sensor (that + sensor, from SAFOX). Because it is, again IMHO, a hardware issue.
When I'll receive it back (maybe another, who knows) I'll tell you my conclusions. If they can't send me a good camera, I'll change it for a K-x. As big the succes of K-x was, as big the failure of K-r will be.
cloud016, in the last picture the FF is more than evident. More in focus are the right/left hands of the girl, her's bra and the camera.

Last edited by ursamajor; 01-28-2011 at 12:09 AM.
01-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
For me, the issue was very obvious on all shots in artificial light. That is, at all distances/focal lengths, even with the kit lens with its modest apertures. Using live view, the shots were tack sharp, using phase detect, the shots were severely out of focus. This could be easily seen without pixel peeping. And this was NOT only in low light, I tested in well lit conditions, say EV 6-8.

It is very interesting what alffastar says, that it is possible to adjust focus for various color temperatures. This gives me hope that my body will perform better when I get it back from service. Should be any day now!
EricT, the adjustment is done not for different color temperatures, but for different physical temperatures of the focusing sensor in Kelvin (Celsius) degrees.

Last edited by alffastar; 01-28-2011 at 12:33 AM.
01-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #43
Veteran Member

cloud16, I'm not trying to be difficult, but what am I supposed to see that's "wrong" with the show girl image? I opened it in Photoshop and @100% as far as I can see, the eye (your focus point?) is in focus. Where do you see the FF point? I see that ursamajor says s/he perceives a FF plane that runs through the left breast/hands/camera. Perhaps at some pixel level that might be accurate, but again, not at any reasonable print/web viewing size. I'm not a Pentax fanboy as anyone who's been in the forum for a while can attest; over the years I've criticized Pentax on several issues, but in this case I'm not ignoring the issue, I'm saying it doesn't appear to be a functional issue,
Brian

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 01-28-2011 at 01:03 AM.
01-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #44
Banned

FHPhotographer, do you saw my image in #38 post? What do you think, it is corect that camera focuses where it wants, instead the point you choose? What about I focuses the eyes, taking a frontal picture, and I receive a focus on the point of the nose? When you shoot at long distance and wide the FF fades, but still there is. And it is observable. Look at the first picture of cloud016, too, where the focus is on the left hand of the guy.
01-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #45

Come`on...you called that one is 'in focus'? check these...
by k-m