Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Newbie Questions on K-r

Just received a K-r (new to Pentax) and I'm finding inconsistencies between the manual and how the camera is behaving. Wondering if anyone can help me?
Auto image rotation doesn't seem to work properly. If I take a vertical shot with Auto rotate on, in playback the image shifts to a horizontal orientation with black bars on each side. When I then shift the camera back into a vertical position, the image stays in the horizontal orientation. Canon point and shoots (my past experience) with auto rotation keep positioning the image to correspond with the camera orientation. Is this just the way Pentax does it, with one shift and that's it?
Face Detection is very reluctant to kick in and has yet to recognize two or more faces in Live View. Usually, it doesn't even lock on with the one yellow square for the main face. Again, is the feature not as effective on Pentax models or is there something wrong?
No salesmen to ask, since no one in my area has the K-r in stores. Please help. I'm dying to know what I'm doing wrong or is it the camera.

01-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Forum Member

Regarding the image orientation, as far as I know, the orientation that you speak of is for the finished, saved image file. It is not like the iPhone (and others) where you view an image, then can turn the phone 90 degrees and the image will stay "upright". It is basically so you can take a portrait image, then when you open it in whatever viewing software you choose it will remain in the portrait orientation rather than the landscape orientation.
01-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I tried live view to see if it worked on my K-R. It seems like it would be good for macro on a tripod. I will have to try that face thing you mention, didn't know the K-R did that. I use the view finder. I will have to try some of those different modes, just so I know what they do.
You have your answer about orientation.