Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
is there any perfectly focusing K-r?

hi, I'm in the need to buy a camera, since I sold my kx a few months ago, I was going to buy kr, but hesitated.. for observing so much of the focusing issues..
now, I'll have work assignment on saturday...

so if I buy kr is there at least any posibility, that it will focus perfectly, or all of them are not consistent in various light conditions?

I will check one, in the shop, but i'm afraid, that all of them are not consistent in focusing...

so am I wrong? (i hope I am)..

Do you have a Kr that focuses flawlessly in any light situation?

01-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Love my Kr and especially the low light capability, actually very good. "So much focusing issues" that a very relative statement. Check out other reviews by many of the well established sites on the web and make an informed opinion, one forum shouldn't be used to base your judgement on, you really do need more info if your'e concerned about ff issues or bf issues or any other issues, which many cameras have to one degree or another.
01-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine does very well. I can't upload pics or I'd show you.
01-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've upgraded to the latest firmware I think I'm getting more consistent sharp photos.

01-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Forum Member

I have only had my new Kr for about 4 weeks and have been extremely happy with it. I have yet to experience any focus problems other than in extremely dark situations when most brands suffer to some degree. I was a bit reluctant at first because of the many posts regarding the problem but was ready for a new camera so bit the bullet so to speak. I am very happy with my decision. As others will point out all brands have their issues.
01-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #6

Love mine and no focusing issues!!!
01-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Had mine since Dec. 27 and have 0 problems.

Ser # 379******************

01-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Forum Member

This thread is definitely comforting. Mine has issues, but it sounds like others clearly don't, so I'm hopeful that having it sent in for service will resolve the issue.
01-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #9
Forum Member

I have had no problems with mine, s/n 381xxxx. Sure there are cameras with defect focus and when u are unhappy some people tend to be very loud about it and write in every forum around the web!
01-07-2011, 03:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so, as I understand there is hope...

Well will go to the shop and try one.. I've tried one already jkust as it appeared, I liked its controls and body, and a new screen very much, but waited to see reviews by experts..

so as I see it now.. there are some, that do not have any issues with their cameras.. hope to get into their circle.. but like to get more feedback on those who have problems and who don't..

thanks in advance
01-07-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't have a problem under any lighting condition including preset tungsten or by manually setting tungsten white balance.

I believe if there was a common K-r focus issue it would have been seized on a and would be a comment in every test report that is published.

does it not seem odd to you that that is not the case??
01-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #12

Mystic, as someone who was about to buy one on Monday, (I cant now for financial reasons, nothing else) I have followed this issue very closely indeed.

My conclusion is this:- a small percentage of cameras do seem to have a real issue focussing under Tungston in low light situations. There seems to be little doubt on that.
The odd person (Literally?) reports it doesn't focus at all in any low light, but this really is only one or two folks on all the forums.
A relatively large percentage of faults are poorly, inconsistantly, tested and diagnosed convincing the owners they have a problem depite many others telling them otherwise or asking for better testing.

A few people are determined to find fault with the cam - nothing new there, I own a Fuji bridge and some peeps just slag it off.

The huge majority of owners report no known issues or problems other than the occasional low light focussing problem many many modern cameras face in the same situations. Those that are aware of it in many cases think it's so minor it aint worth worrying over.

Upshot, probably 90% + of K-r owners seem to be extremely happy with their cameras.

Of course, there's always some that just WANT to find fault and shout about it, and those that buy it, knowing there might be a chance of a fault then slag it off when they go berserk trying to prove they've got a faulty cam. EVERY camera has it's problems and if you read enough rubbish on the forums you'd never buy one, because you will never get that absolutely perfect in every respect camera - even at the top end.

Go ahead and buy it. If I had the money right now I wouldn't hesitate (well actually I would, but not for the reasons of focussing or anything to do with the quality of the cam). Compared to many others on the market at the moment the K-r is cracking camera for the price.

woody
01-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought it!

So far, even I was looking for all kind of flaws I couldn't find any.

maybe i'll spot them later but so far.. it seems that it does a pretty decent job..

It feels and looks great, all buttons in their places, no sqeeking or something, all buttons work.

what about focus?

well

first it made me worry a little..

but after fine focus adjustment on -5

it focuses right there, where I want it to.

Now I tested it only in artificial light that is at home..

tomorrow I'll have a job assignment so, will test it further.
I'll make a new thread with this and some additional text and pictures for others to show that there are some functional ones..

the serial number of it starts with: 391****
01-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #14

Well done that man!

woody
01-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ukwoody Quote
Of course, there's always some that just WANT to find fault and shout about it, and those that buy it, knowing there might be a chance of a fault then slag it off when they go berserk trying to prove they've got a faulty cam.
I most certainly did NOT want to find fault with my camera. I wondered why a few of my shots seemed a little off on focus (some are obviously technique, others I was pretty careful with), saw the threads on focusing, and did some tests. Changing from AWB to tungsten doesn't help, and fine focus adjustment isn't enough to compensate either.

I almost bought a T2i based on a friend's experience with his T1i, but then looked at Pentax because of my dad's K1000 and lenses. Loved the feel of the K-r compared with the Canon and D3000. I've seen some shots my friend took under artificial light. I want to like my camera's results equally.

I love how the camera has performed outside, but I also want to use it for taking snapshots with family and friends inside.

(For reference, I've got a DA* 16-50 f/2.8, so the narrow DOF probably makes the issue more obvious.)