Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy K-R users here in the U.S.??

Just wondering how many folks have recently bought trouble free K-R's here in the good old U.S.......(and from what retailer)
I'm hoping that if the overwhelming response is positive.... that new batches are flooding the market without any of the well documented issues that have befallen this new body....
I'm keeping my stubby arthritic fingers crossed....... dave m

01-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I am a "happy" K-R user in the U.S. Bought from Amazon.com.

"Trouble free" can be a loaded term: it almost implies perfection. My only issue so far is front focus under tungsten light. I was able to adjust it using camera menus. This tungsten issue is not unique to Pentax and I have found similar reports for Canon and Nikon products.

Internet forums are a great resource but problems can seem amplified, simply because problems require more discussion than things that work well. I'm a new member here and most of my posts probably talk about front focus rather than all of the good things.

If you're outdoors or using fluorescent lighting, go buy the K-R without hesitation. If you expect to take mostly indoor photos under incandescent/tungsten, it's a tougher call. Some K-Rs have severe issues with tungsten but we don't know what percentage of cameras have the problem. Only a small portion of all Pentax purchasers post here.
01-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Forum Member

I'm in Canada... so close, but not quite. Mine does front focus beyond the fine focus adjustment under tungsten. I do have an f/2.8 lens. Maybe I should get a flash and shoot at a smaller aperture in those conditions.

However, I'm still very happy with the camera. Post-processing in Lightroom, I often keep shots as-is. I shoot in DNG, so sometimes I'll apply a bit of noise reduction. Sometimes I might correct WB (say, from AWB to cloudy) or adjust the exposure level or add some fill recovery, but that seems to depend on the light.

The funny thing is, it's very bright daylight that I end up adjusting more (increasing exposure), and shots under tungsten get the least treatment aside from NR -- the colour and exposure levels are typically fantastic. (Usually take it down an EV level so the camera isn't over-compensating and making a dim room look like daylight. Probably need to try the reverse in bright daylight.)
01-08-2011, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Albums
Apparently you can't buy a flawless K-r in U.S. because Pentax choose to sell only B-ware with several minor issues to U.S. customers - it's a obvious conspiracy.

If you want a good K-r you ought to travel to Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia/E.U. There is a small shop on Dunajska cesta 57, called Foto Beseničar.

01-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #5

We had a Pentax Christmas with my wife getting a K-r and and the K-5 sitting under the tree for me. I don't tend to do much "testing" but in playing with each of them in our back yard I was very impressed with both cameras. We were coming from the K100d and K20d if that helps.

The K-r seems to focus just as quickly and confidently as the K-5. The shutter is louder but not louder than any other Pentax camera we have owned previously. I have followed the K-5 stain issue but I am not sure what problems have been associated with the K-r, thus far, we do not seem to have any problems though. Both our cameras were purchased through Amazon.
01-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was one of the unfortunate, but I love it anyway!

I don't mind the tungsten focusing issue too much, because (when I shoot indoors) I shoot mostly portrait, and it only seems to take effect at distances of 15 ft and up.

The only issue that really bugs me is the inaccurate e-dial. It makes the camera almost unusable in quick, critical shots.

Also, my body suffers from an even rarer ailment. A dreaded dead pixel on the sensor. If no other issues, this was enough for me to send it in for repair, under warranty.

So aside from me sitting here bored waiting for it to return, I've been a happy customer and took many great shots.
01-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
mornin' all! interesting responses so far..... for what it's worth, my favorite retailer, b+h, is currently out of stock with the k-r body only configuration.... here's hoping that when the new inventory arrives, it will be less problematic than previous batches......
there are few nice upgrades with the k-r from my k-x, but will hold off until we see the k-r's respective issues resolved.... it's interesting to note how relatively problem free my k200d and k-x have been to date (knock on that proverbial wood).... and how the k-r and to a much larger degree, the k-5, have been plagued by so many issues..... always loved pentax since my days with my zx50 and zxl film slrs..... and hope they (pentax hoya) will learn a valuable lesson when releasing their next dslr bodies..... dave m

Last edited by dcmsox2004; 01-09-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: grammar
01-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
.... here's hoping that when the new inventory arrives, it will be less problematic than previous batches......
there are few nice upgrades with the k-r from my k-x, but will hold off until we see the k-r's respective issues resolved....
I don't exactly know what issues do you have in mind, but I think Pentax is running the K-r production without any significant changes, so expect the new batch of cameras to be just the same.

There are a lot of first time users drawn to the entry level Pentax cameras and plenty of "issues" are due lack of knowledge and understanding and just dumb user error. There is a good example of this in the German DSLR forums: you can't even imagine what kind of flaws are discovered there! Sometimes it gives me a good laugh, yet mostly it's sad. Actually it does not make any sense to try to resolve those issues there, because the problem is in the user.

cheers,
d

Last edited by dragra; 01-09-2011 at 09:43 AM.
01-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
Actually it does not make any sense to try to resolve those issues there, because the problem is in the user.

cheers,
d
I find that to often be the case as well.

The K-r is a damn fine camera, and the K-5 is probably the best you can find below full frame - if dynamic range and ISO performance is your thing anyway.

Quality control issues are just a fact of business. The retailers and Pentax seem to be fine with helping those those who have them. When I sent mine in for the e-dial and sensor, they were quick to respond.

Again, mine was a rare case, there are plenty out there with no issues at all. Don't fear buying a K-r.
01-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #10

Just bought one today I'll post some comments after using it for awhile.
01-10-2011, 10:07 PM   #11

I received my Kr January 4th so far so good. I haven't tested all my lenses yet but the Pentax 18-250mm I usually keep on my camera's hasn't shown any front or back focus problem and focus in general seems to be quite good. Under the same conditions I could never have gotten this shot with my K200D.

I think I'm going to enjoy this camera at least till I get the K5 sometime this summer.

This photo of my grandson was taken tonight in near darkness with only the TV as light (watching Auburn and Oregon); used a a Metz 48AF-1 flash bounced off the ceiling at F5.6, ISO-500, shutter speed at 1/50th, handheld. Exif intact

Adjustments; WB, curves adjustment (S curve), and cropped. No sharpening or noise removal in post processing.

Sorry for the dirty glasses, I cant understand how he can even see out of them.

Last edited by geru2000; 01-11-2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Correct aperture
01-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Im in Canada and I have a K-r, its a fantastic camera, dont believe all the BS. yes there is a small issue with AF under tungsten but that can be mitigated by changing the settings a bit.
01-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
I am very happy with my K-r as well. Now, it's my first DSLR so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I haven't been able to find any faults with it (plenty of faults with the photographer, of course!). I also haven't really used it with autofocus under tungsten lighting, so I can't comment as to that particular issue.
01-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #14

Nice camera

I'am real happy with my Kr,puts my old Sony A700 to shame IQ features,etc.,other than the 700 was somewhat better built maybe.