Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I've seen old Pentax cameras that have supposedly survived the muck and heat of the war in Vietnam
My friend has a K1000 from that war, apparently it dropped out of a helicopter to...haha...not sure digitals are built that well though, still well enough though.

01-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #32
Inactive Account

This is total nonsense. This site, and the people are why i am still with Pentax. And why the problems get fixed. I am no fan of the admin here. If you can get thru the hype this is where most serious Pentax people should be. And are.
Sounds like you are the one whining..
01-25-2011, 06:19 AM   #33
Forum Member

well, i think that people that are happy with their cameras don`t have any reason to write anything here. all i can say is, that k5 is damn good camera. totally different with my k200. art filters that many says are useless are really beautiful. video with art filters is really interesting, high iso is f*cking good, some stains visible around f16/22 (never used it before, never use it after), sometimes it freeze, well it`s not perfect camera but really good to have in hands.

@photo: is there some grain? i really don`t care since it`s iso around 12800
Attached Images

01-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

at least we can look forward to the time when the tungsten WB setting is redundant...

01-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Why does the title of this thread say "killed Pentax"? I'm sure it is still alive.
01-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #36

Pentax is killing my wallet if you ask me
01-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honest post and good questions as far as I'm concerned. Part of the issue is the large number of early adopters amongst a crowd such as on this forum. Yes, you will bear the brunt of all of the little post-release niggles that are associated with any new product launch and you will go through a series of firmware updates that will fix whatever was found to be less than optimal at first. But that to me seems to be something to be proud of!

I have not been part of the early adopters mainly for financial reasons, I just have to wait for a price drop prior to release of a new model in order for me to be able to justify the expense to the women in my life - my overly critical daughters, lovely wife and always-worried mum.

Having said that, I have alway marveled at the cameras I owned and the fact that they always could offer more than I could use. I loved my Canon G5 and Pro1, I marveled at the Pentax K110D, my first DSLR. I was absolutely over the hill with the IQ and SR on the K100D-Super and I now find my K20D one of the most solid performers at the price. Just picking up one of the Canon/Nikon consumer DSLRs it is immediately obvious which of the 2 is the more solid camera. No doubt all brands produce great cameras nowadays but the K20D seems to tick all of my boxes.

I suppose finding fault is easy but i'm damned sure it is not productive.

Mike (who is salivating at the thought of a K5 but will have to wait a bit more)

01-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sekul Quote
Pentax is killing my wallet if you ask me
LOL this is a good one.

Btw, I do get put off by the stain on K-5, waiting for it to get solved to get my own copy. But, when I get my K200d, there is no problem at all (my first dSLR), maybe not many people buy this camera? I don't know, but I think the K200 is one of the best build entry level camera. The new K-x and K-r only beat it in the ISO. Weather sealed and top LCD in an entry level dSLR! Seldom hear complaints about K200 too.

Wish Pentax just replace the sensor in K200 and you get an awesome entry level SLR!

Lee
01-27-2011, 02:29 AM   #39

QuoteQuote:
Seldom hear complaints about K200 too.
That's either because:

1. too few units were sold. number of complainants too few to matter
2. Prior to K-x, Pentax was still relatively unknown/unpopular. Majority of the few Pentaxians were busy shooting, not testing
3. Pentax quality went downhill from there

01-27-2011, 03:51 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
2. Prior to K-x, Pentax was still relatively unknown/unpopular
...to whiners.
01-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #41
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
That's either because:

1. too few units were sold. number of complainants too few to matter
2. Prior to K-x, Pentax was still relatively unknown/unpopular. Majority of the few Pentaxians were busy shooting, not testing
3. Pentax quality went downhill from there

Sorry to say, but each of these points are fabricated and way off the mark.
What number of K200Ds sold do you have to claim this?

Pentax have been very well known, even if for being different and niche, since the late 70s. Perhaps they've not been well known to many people until the consumerist digital era, when all of a sudden photography no longer became a vocation costing users for every shutter release, and Pentax continued to appeal to the more discerning enthusiast seeking value for money.

Where do we see evidence of Pentax's quality of any facet of their gear declining? What comparisons are being made to come out with this fanciful claim? Can you reasonably make comparisons between a K1000 and a K-x, or between a Takumar and an FA-J lens? dSLR failures would be commonly reported in places like this - it's the information era. Increased reporting on the internet easily becomes a statistic everyone believes in, and consistently inaccurate.

In their class, I wonder if you can find better built dSLRs than the Pentax range.
The major class that's missing is the FF, and yet a lot of users really want to compare Pentax's flagships with Canon and Nikon FF dSLRs. And with Sony getting in the act too it becomes even more complex.
01-27-2011, 04:57 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Ash up until the mid to late 70s pentax was the number one selling slr in the world
They pretty much invented the whole idea
Nikon overtook them with the advent of the f and f2
Canon in the 80s
Really they started losing big share in the late 80s when ps cameras took a ton of the market
The advent of eos and canons huge marketing budgets along with far more sophisticated cameras from minolta and nikon just pushed pentax into the background
Otherwise you prettty much nailed it
(at one point btw it was very common fo people yo own an slr
Usually a spotmatic and later a k1000
01-27-2011, 05:17 AM   #43
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

True that Eddie. Pentax have been on a few roller coaster rides - though Pentax never ceased to produce good film SLR models even in the midst of that slump. Even the MZ60, not a top model, but affordable and functional...
01-27-2011, 05:27 AM   #44

4. It was accepted that Pentax at that stage was technologically below par so that little imperfections didn't matter

ooooppppssss... is it too late to mention this was all in jest?

Seriously though...

For some reason, the K200D might have been a marketing failure. Otherwise there should have been follow up models. Not to discount that it's not coming in the future though. But I stress that it DOES NOT mean that the camera is not capable at all. The fact that there ARE few complaints and only one F/W update (and just to support SDHC cards at that) about it speaks for it's worth.

But let's face it... the younger generation probably never heard of Pentax until the K-x, or at least to them it's a minority brand.

As for the build quality going downhill... the dials on my K-r turns so easily (ok, I know they were designed that way since the K-x)